Looking ahead to 2009

What is the biggest need for 2009?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Offense

• Quarterback (Palmer)
    • Running back (Perry, Benson)
    • Full back (Johnson, Coats)
    • Wide receiver (Chad, Henry, Chatman, Simpson)
    • Tight end (Utecht, Kelly)
    • Left tackle (Jones)
    • Left guard (Whitworth)
    • Center (???)
    • Right guard (Williams)
    • Right tackle (Collins)
  2. 2. Defense

• Left end (Geathers)
    • Nose tackle (Peko)
    • Under tackle (Sims)
    • Right end (Odom)
    • Weak side linebacker (Rivers)
    • Middle linebacker (Jones)
    • Strong side linebacker (Johnson)
    • Corner (Joseph, Hall, Jones)
    • Free safety (White)
    • Strong safety (Ndukwe)

I voted for center and strong side linebacker.

I think Perry/Benson can be an effective combo, provided the line gives them space to run. IMO the biggest problem with the run blocking has been center. Get a mauler at center, and the run games improves a lot.

At strong side linebacker, Jeanty and Blackstock are free agents. They are servicable players, but neither are good enough to be starters. We need a linebacker that is stout against the run and can put his hand down and rush the quarterback.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='712930' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:04 AM']I voted for center and strong side linebacker.

I think Perry/Benson can be an effective combo, provided the line gives them space to run. IMO the biggest problem with the run blocking has been center. Get a mauler at center, and the run games improves a lot.

At strong side linebacker, Jeanty and Blackstock are free agents. They are servicable players, but neither are good enough to be starters. We need a linebacker that is stout against the run and can put his hand down and rush the quarterback.[/quote]

No Coaches? :rabbitwithapancakeonitshead:

Our biggest need is someone [u]in charge[/u] who can evaluate talent (OK, it doesn't have to be a GM--call it Director of Personnel or something else).

We need someone other than the people that have been doing it for the past 18 years so that we do a better job in the Draft and Free Agency.

I'm not going to blame it all on Mike Brown, but I'm SURE AS HELL getting tired of all the lame excuses about 'bad luck' and 'tough schedules' and 'no quality free agents are available' and 'no one wants to come to Cincinnati.'

The stealers lost their number one draft pick to injury this year and they haven't missed a beat. They simply do a better job evaluating/selecting talent than we do. That's why they're in the playoff every year while we're one of the also rans.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='712935' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:15 AM']Our biggest need is someone [u]in charge[/u] who can evaluate talent (OK, it doesn't have to be a GM--call it Director of Personnel or something else).

We need someone other than the people that have been doing it for the past 18 years so that we do a better job in the Draft and Free Agency.

I'm not going to blame it all on Mike Brown, but I'm SURE AS HELL getting tired of all the lame excuses about 'bad luck' and 'tough schedules' and 'no quality free agents are available' and 'no one wants to come to Cincinnati.'

The stealers lost their number one draft pick to injury this year and they haven't missed a beat. They simply do a better job evaluating/selecting talent than we do. That's why they're in the playoff every year while we're one of the also rans.[/quote]

While the Steelers have had a lot of injuries, their #1 pick was backing up Willie Parker, who was the leading rusher in the NFL last season before he got hurt. That's a luxury pick if I have ever seen one. Same as Sweed at WR with holmes and Ward. But let the Bengals draft for the future, and we get multiple papers and fans complaining our draft picks aren't doing anything for the team.

Still we need a Center worse then anything on Offense. I'm thinking they need to do this through Free Agency so he can step up and play and not wait on one to develop. If they can do that, it's really a matter of where the other pieces fit as to what we need for the Oline. If Andrews resigns (doubt it) he'll play right tackle. Will Collins be ready for left tackle if Levi continues to decline? Can Whitworth play Left Tackle (I know he do okay as a rookie). My guess is if they can resign Andrews and we sign a Free Agent Center, then they should look at drafting Bobbie's eventual replacement late in the draft, and hopefully that is a guard that can pull. No WRs are needed, and only a back-up QB can be considered. RB should definately be considered.

On Defense, With 3 second year players and 1 third year player in the starting secondary, I don't see a high pick there, nor a need for picking a corner or a safety. Now maybe they take a corner in the middle of the draft for a nickel or dime back. With Sims, Shirley, Peko, Odom, Geathers, Rucker and Fanene on the Dline all going to be here, that doesn't leave a lot of room for a high level pick here. I could see a Stud DE or DL in the first round, but I don't think it is as big of a need as LB. Sure we are okay on the weakside, and Jones has done a decent job. Ideally, it'd be nice if they got Ray Lewis (not going to happen as Baltimore will lock him up) for the Middle and then Draft a Stud for the strong side in the first.

In truth, I don't think this team is that far away, but they have to to get the Oline squared away. If the Oline can come close to 2005 levels, and Palmer stays healthy, we can get back into the Playoffs in 2009.

So say we are picking 3rd in the draft come April, who do you pick?

1. Detroit - OT Michael Oher, Mississippi
2. Rams - OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia

Both of their offensive lines are horrible, so the top two tackles are gone.

RB Chris Wells, Ohio State - He is a franchise back and we don't have one. Injury prone.
ILB Rey Maualuga, Southern Cal - Was great as a junior but his play this season has been average at best but that could be because of a knee injury. Probably won't be worth the 3rd pick.
DE Greg Hardy, Mississippi - Absolute beast. Similar to Julius Peppers, but do we need another end?
OT Andre Smith, Alabama - Great prospect who could play any spot on the line other than center. He would have to play LT to be drafted this high, but are they ready to give up on Levi?

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='712948' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:46 PM']So say we are picking 3rd in the draft come April, who do you pick?

1. Detroit - OT Michael Oher, Mississippi

RB Chris Wells, Ohio State - He is a franchise back and we don't have one. Injury prone.
ILB Rey Maualuga, Southern Cal - Was great as a junior but his play this season has been average at best but that could be because of a knee injury. Probably won't be worth the 3rd pick.
DE Greg Hardy, Mississippi - Absolute beast. Similar to Julius Peppers, but do we need another end?
OT Andre Smith, Alabama - Great prospect who could play any spot on the line other than center. He would have to play LT to be drafted this high, but are they ready to give up on Levi?[/quote]

Beanie: I don't think you can necessarily translate injury-prone-ness from college to pro. Chris Perry never had injury problems at Michigan, and Anthony Munoz barely played at USC. But their pro careers were completely different. And Beanie has shown that even when he is hurt he still plays a vast majority of the time, and plays well.

Maualuga: Neither he nor Laurinaitis are likely to be worth #3 overall. I also think Laurinaitis may be a better fit for Zimmer's system than Rey.

DE: We need an end that can get to the QB. I'm not convinced at this point that either Odom, Geathers, or Rucker can consistently be that guy. I'd also consider Michael Johnson and George Selvie.

Smith can play T or G, but with his height (6'3") and his history of weight problems I think he is a huge gamble to take that high and put at LT.

If Oher or Monroe are there, they are the easy and obvious pick. If not, I'd try to trade down. If I can't, depending on the play of Geathers and Odom the rest of the year, I go either Beanie or one of the DEs.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='712948' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:46 PM']So say we are picking 3rd in the draft come April, who do you pick?

[b]1. Detroit[/b] - OT Michael Oher, Mississippi

OT Andre Smith, Alabama - Great prospect who could play any spot on the line other than center. He would have to play LT to be drafted this high, but are they ready to give up on Levi?[/quote]

I had a dream the other night that Chase Daniels was wearing a Detroit Lions jersey....

....just sayin.

I've read Parcells say that you have to strengthen the middle of the field first and work your way out. The Bengals tend to do the opposite. We need a C, a DT, more at MLB, and another S. So basically, we are not very strong up the middle. I like Ndukwe and Peko though but we need more. It's not a big secret but the Bengals (Mike Brown) just never seem to to get it.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='713064' date='Oct 13 2008, 03:04 PM']It's sickening that we're only 6 games into the season and we're already talking about the 2009 draft...[/quote]
There's not really much to talk about for this season....

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='713068' date='Oct 13 2008, 02:13 PM']There's not really much to talk about for this season....[/quote]

At this point, it's down to talking about when we win first, or 0-16 (If Palmer is out). At this point, there are not a lot of Ws on the schedule. The possibilties are Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, and Kansas City. So we seem to be back to "wait until next year" mode pretty damn early.

Archived