DE Johnson’s ‘consistency’ questioned at combined

Kochman

[quote]DE Johnson’s ‘consistency’ questioned at combined
By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, February 20, 2009

Indianapolis — NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock is not a big fan of Georgia Tech defensive end Michael Johnson.

“He’s 6-7, 260. He’s going to run like a wide receiver. He’s going to jump like a running back,” Mayock told the Journal Constitution. “Everybody is going to fall in love with him. But there is way too much bad [game] tape of him for me to even like him a little bit. I don’t like him at all.”

Johnson is rated as the fifth best defensive end in the draft by NFLDraftScout.com and is projected to go in the second round.

But Mayock is not a believer.

“I’m not going to get carried away with him,” Mayock said. “Every time somebody tells me that I’m wrong, I’m just going to tell them to put another tape in and watch him.

“I don’t see hustle. I don’t see toughness. What I do see is that he flashes brilliance once in a while and that’s going to make people want to take him.”

Mayock went so far as to question Johnson’s heart.

“If you take that little nose tackle at Iowa, Mitch King, and put his heart in Michael Johnson’s body, you’d have a Hall of Fame player,” Mayock said. “I just think Michael Johnson is so talented, but he’s wasting it.”

Richard Kopelman, Johnson’s Atlanta-based agent, took umbrage with Mayock questioning Johnson’s heart and said his comments crossed the line into a personal attack.

One knock on Johnson is that he showed up against good teams and took games off against lesser opponents.

“I watched his bowl game,” Mayock said. “I watched him against (Virginia’s) Eugene Monroe. I watched him against Virginia Tech. I watched four or five games and some games from his junior year. All I saw was occasional flashes. No consistency.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sports/gatech/stories/2009/02/20/tech_johnson_combine.html"]http://www.ajc.com/gatech/content/sports/g...on_combine.html[/url]

Archived