Mac Hard Drive replacement question.

So I am going to be using final cut pro a little, the program alone with everything is over 50 GB.. with my 30gb of itunes, and adobe suite and files, im using about 70% of my space already.. I have a WD Passwport 500gb i carry around, but i just keep backup stuff there.

ANYWAY..

im switching from a 250GB HD to a 500GB Seagate 7200rpm drive.. its about $130, but I have a 25% off coupon so shipped and all its about $97

so its well worth the minimal cost.... almost 50% faster and double the storage under a hundred bucks..

whats the best way to get my data moved over?

I have a time capsule, so I can do a backup, swap them out, and do a restore? I assume id have to reinstalled OSx from the install disc first.. then setup the time capsule and just restore?

I will certainly do a disc image of the hard drive, and store it on my external. is it easier just to burn that image onto the new drive? or do the time capsule restore?

i have a sata to usb hookup, so I can use my wifes macbook to do the image and image burn if needed...

ideas? suggestions?

PS: the hard drive is CAKE to get to in the macbook pro (unibody) pops right out, so install is nothing, the booklet even has directions in it to do so..

thanks for any advice and suggestions!

I envy you. On the old PowerBooks required you to take out 36 screws or so.

That said, I *think* the Time Machine restore is a tad faster so long as you're not doing it via wireless; then you'd be better off using the disk image.

When you reinstall OS X, one of the options is to restore the account via a TC backup, but you do have to do the reinstall...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='779307' date='May 29 2009, 12:21 AM']I envy you. On the old PowerBooks required you to take out 36 screws or so.

That said, I *think* the Time Machine restore is a tad faster so long as you're not doing it via wireless; then you'd be better off using the disk image.

When you reinstall OS X, one of the options is to restore the account via a TC backup, but you do have to do the reinstall...[/quote]

Thanks, I can easily hook it up directly for the TC install, and I now remember that option when I first booted the MBpro to restore from time capsule..

excellent...

I will probably do this next week.

Archived