MAC VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE - Cutting Commercials

So iMovie seems capable of doing it, but iMovie seems to be the pickiest fucking software known to man, like it will only open .mov quicktime movies or something?

am I missing something or will iMovie not open and edit .mp4, .mpeg, or .avi's?

what the fuck?

so I got Final Cut Express 4.

also seems capable... I cut all the commercials, it gave a codec error trying to export just about every way except divx. and it exported all grainy, and 8GB instead of the 1.2 GB i put in, and thats AFTER taking out 15 minutes of commercials.

Suggestions on either making imove be more accepting of video formats? or of making FCE4 not be a stupid prick?

or another simple software just for editing out commercials of a video and saving as the same exact settings/quality?

[quote name='GoBengals' date='17 August 2009 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1250514163' post='792179']
So iMovie seems capable of doing it, but iMovie seems to be the pickiest fucking software known to man, like it will only open .mov quicktime movies or something?

am I missing something or will iMovie not open and edit .mp4, .mpeg, or .avi's?

what the fuck?

so I got Final Cut Express 4.

also seems capable... I cut all the commercials, it gave a codec error trying to export just about every way except divx. and it exported all grainy, and 8GB instead of the 1.2 GB i put in, and thats AFTER taking out 15 minutes of commercials.

Suggestions on either making imove be more accepting of video formats? or of making FCE4 not be a stupid prick?

or another simple software just for editing out commercials of a video and saving as the same exact settings/quality?
[/quote]

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/alternative_platforms/mac_software/avidemux_for_macosx.cfm

That one seems to do basic editing stuff with a bunch of codecs and supported formats (and it's free)... For anything audio/video, I tend to go to afterdawn.com first. Beware of posting questions on their forums without doing a search first. The AV nerds there get a bit touchy about that. :)

[quote name='mongo' date='17 August 2009 - 09:39 AM' timestamp='1250519998' post='792204']
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/alternative_platforms/mac_software/avidemux_for_macosx.cfm

That one seems to do basic editing stuff with a bunch of codecs and supported formats (and it's free)... For anything audio/video, I tend to go to afterdawn.com first. Beware of posting questions on their forums without doing a search first. The AV nerds there get a bit touchy about that. :)
[/quote]

I've heard that earlier versions of imovie are better (I'm guessing you are using the latest). My students said the most recent sucked ass actually.

seems adobe premiere is the most user friendly for me... the one from afterdawn seemed to do it.. but wouldnt let me make the timeline scrtech across the screenm so i kept skipping too far ahead.. i had premiere the whole time and didnt even realize it.. im gonna give it a try tomorrow and see if i can do it successfully with that..

Archived