Uh oh

mongo

So the yesterday, I fired up my Mac Pro to play a little Borderlands. I hit the power button, got distracted, and forgot to hold down the option key (alt key for the pc people) to bring up my boot options. Oops. OSX boots as the default, and I select restart to try again. This time it refires, and while I was holding down the option key to bring up my boot options, my finger slips off and it starts to load OSX again by default. I was frustrated and wasting time, so I held down the power button to shut it down instead of waiting through boot. Restarted when powered down, held the button, fired up windows, killed lots of shit, shutdown, and went to sleep. Now, I fire up the computer this morning and it just hangs. Uh Oh....

I've restarted it with option held down, and instead of giving me choices to startup in OS X or Windows, I get the options of Windows or EFI partition.... Crap! Now I'm in the midst of running disk utilities from the install DVD. Not sure if it's going to repair things, or if I'm going to have to roll back to a Time Machine backup. Luckily, I have a huge backup drive devoted just to Time Machine backups.

NEVER DO WHAT I DID!!!!!!

i use vmware fusion for any windows needs, which seem to be absolutely zero these days..

i assume its nicer your way to have ALL resources for windows (itll need them!) instead of running both OS's at once basically,

time capsule is a life saver, i havent had any issues but when i upgraded hard drives it was easy as cake to load all my stuff EXACTLY as it was on the old drive.

this reminds me i need to do a backup.. i typically do one once a week, been a month or so.. i keep most photos and stuff on an external drive as well so minimal damage if all is lost on my machine..

PS: can you time machine backup to an internal drive in the mac pro?

like if i toss a 1.5tb drive for that alone, will it backup to that drive? seems like it would...just curious..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='21 January 2010 - 09:39 PM' timestamp='1264127986' post='858938']
i use vmware fusion for any windows needs, which seem to be absolutely zero these days..

i assume its nicer your way to have ALL resources for windows (itll need them!) instead of running both OS's at once basically,

time capsule is a life saver, i havent had any issues but when i upgraded hard drives it was easy as cake to load all my stuff EXACTLY as it was on the old drive.

this reminds me i need to do a backup.. i typically do one once a week, been a month or so.. i keep most photos and stuff on an external drive as well so minimal damage if all is lost on my machine..

PS: can you time machine backup to an internal drive in the mac pro?

like if i toss a 1.5tb drive for that alone, will it backup to that drive? seems like it would...just curious..
[/quote]

that's exactly how I have mine set up at the moment. I have a 1tb drive for osx, a smaller second drive for windows, and a 1.5tb drive that exists only for time machine to use. It's worked out great so far.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='22 January 2010 - 07:50 AM' timestamp='1264164626' post='858978']
sweet... hard drives are so cheap.. microcenter has a 1tb hitachi for $69..

cant wait to get my pro..

how did your restore go?
[/quote]

the restore went just fine, thanks for asking. Took about an hour, and then it was like nothing had ever happened.

My real headache has returned to the windows machine I'm fixing up for my brother. The whole experience has sucked, starting with DFI not even supporting the 4 year old motherboard with drivers anymore, and continuing on to a chipset fan I had to replace this morning. Now, I can't find an iTunes that supports xp pro 64 bit.... This is frustrating. Hopefully the 64 bit vista version of iTunes will do, but I have my doubts.

[quote name='mongo' date='22 January 2010 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1264205348' post='859126']
the restore went just fine, thanks for asking. Took about an hour, and then it was like nothing had ever happened.

My real headache has returned to the windows machine I'm fixing up for my brother. The whole experience has sucked, starting with DFI not even supporting the 4 year old motherboard with drivers anymore, and continuing on to a chipset fan I had to replace this morning. Now, I can't find an iTunes that supports xp pro 64 bit.... This is frustrating. Hopefully the 64 bit vista version of iTunes will do, but I have my doubts.
[/quote]

lol, great combined stories... you botched your whole mac OS install, and it was like nothing ever went wrong an hour later.... and have spent hours trying to get itunes to work on a windows machine..

outstandings...

Archived