Madden 12

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1298474332' post='972285']
You're a Madden guy? I swore up and down I would never go to NCAA over Madden for years... just like I use to do when I was a PS guy and went to Xbox. I made the switch and I'm never going back. The gameplay for the two is very similar. I actually think NCAA is a little easier for some reason. My love for the Bengals was trumped by the recruiting aspect of the new NCAA. The new style is much more challenging than the older NCAAs. Instead of just playing a game every week (in Madden) and doing that stupid "scouting" they have, you actually have to look through a list of over 1000 guys and bring in the type of guys that fit your offense or defense. For instance, if there's a bad ass recruit that plays FS and he is horrible in zone coverage, I couldn't bring him in because 99% of the time my safety is in a zone. I can find a 3 star FS that is maybe a B in zone coverage... he would much better fit my style of play and it really shows. I use to run 4 CBs almost every play until I found an OLB that was a decent grade in coverage. Now I run nickel a lot instead of dime. Since that OLB was also a decent grade in tackling (a C I think), it's really helped me against the run this year.

I would say, yes, it is worth picking up. I doubt much will change from this NCAA to the next because this one is so different than the prior, so it'll really give you time to see if you enjoy it better than Madden. Offline play is a thing of the past. If you're not hooked up to the internet, you need to be. Offline can only take you so far, but nothing is better than fighting over a damn good high school recruit with your buddies and then use him against him for the next 4 years. I have a huge night tonight. Tons of recruits coming in for my game... if I win, I'm probably golden.

[/quote]

My favorite NFL game was actually the ESPN 2k or whatever it was before the EA/NFL deal. I bought madden last year and it was o.k. Played the demo this year and decided to not bother.

Just bought a used copy on ebay for $20 to play around with. I'm guessing i will have to buy the $10 online pass for the dynasty stuff.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1298474558' post='972286']
I probably would have gotten an updated version of NCAA if they had it for the wii. The only one they had though was the 2009 all play version, and it had crappier graphics than my NCAA 2003.

IMO the NCAA games kick the crap out of Madden.
[/quote]
I've always looked at the Wii as a party console. It's much better than any system when it comes to entertaining a small crowd but it doesn't compare if you're playing for hours every day (yeah, I play a lot). I tried playing Zelda on the Wii... I was done in a couple hours. Just couldn't get into swinging my hand around like I was holding a real sword.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1298475166' post='972287']
My favorite NFL game was actually the ESPN 2k or whatever it was before the EA/NFL deal. I bought madden last year and it was o.k. Played the demo this year and decided to not bother.

Just bought a used copy on ebay for $20 to play around with. I'm guessing i will have to buy the $10 online pass for the dynasty stuff.
[/quote]
I do not know how my friends done it but there was two of them that was using my game to play their games and they never had to the online pass. Maybe because it was on my console??? I really have no idea. I just know that they hit a snag at first and figured it out pretty quick. Heck, maybe the paid the $10.00 but no one ever mentioned it to me.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1298475504' post='972289']
I've always looked at the Wii as a party console. It's much better than any system when it comes to entertaining a small crowd but it doesn't compare if you're playing for hours every day (yeah, I play a lot). I tried playing Zelda on the Wii... I was done in a couple hours. Just couldn't get into swinging my hand around like I was holding a real sword.
[/quote]

+1 to this. I have very rarely played the WII by myself. Now that I have a kinect, i never play it.

[quote name='8675309' timestamp='1298441299' post='972230']
Hmmm...I just traded in my (PS3) Madden 11 [b]yesterday afternoon[/b] and got $28.80 for it. Somebody must want it...
[/quote]

Of course there are. People root for logos, there is always a market for this. That is why games with superiour gameplay struggle without licensing.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1298475166' post='972287']

[/quote]

2K5 is still the best playing football game on the market. It does so many things great that Madden totally fails on. If you care about the OL/DL interactions at all, you will want to play 2K. If you like football and want to see it expressed in the best possible manner, 2K is the way to go. I still throw it in every once in a while. People are doing great mods on All Pro Football 2K8 as well.

For those of you tired of the EA Tiboron nonsense, check this youtube channel out. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSimStandard

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1298476956' post='972293']
Of course there are. People root for logos, there is always a market for this. That is why games with superiour gameplay struggle without licensing.
[/quote]
I threw a quick fade on NCAA and it worked. TD!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1298477273' post='972295']
I threw a quick fade on NCAA and it worked. TD!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

NCAA is better than Madden. The online dynasty is pretty cool. The only thing I really want to see on that game is a coaching carousel ala College Hoops 2K8. That was the best franchise mode ever created.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1298477493' post='972296']
NCAA is better than Madden. The online dynasty is pretty cool. The only thing I really want to see on that game is a [b]coaching carousel[/b] ala College Hoops 2K8. That was the best franchise mode ever created.
[/quote]
What's that?

I kept playing it until my original xbox died in 2008 i think it was. Gameplay was awesome. The way they did the half time and sportscenter stuff was cool.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1298477249' post='972294']
2K5 is still the best playing football game on the market. It does so many things great that Madden totally fails on. If you care about the OL/DL interactions at all, you will want to play 2K. If you like football and want to see it expressed in the best possible manner, 2K is the way to go. I still throw it in every once in a while. People are doing great mods on All Pro Football 2K8 as well.

For those of you tired of the EA Tiboron nonsense, check this youtube channel out. [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSimStandard"]http://www.youtube.c.../TheSimStandard[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1298477644' post='972297']
What's that?
[/quote]

Pretty much coach movement. Coaches actually impact that game, so where they land is important in the game. Coaches are a big part of college football, EA Tiburon doesn't understand that for some reason. The recruiting in CH2K8 was also second to none. That game was legendary. I don't really even like college basketball but I couldn't put that game down.

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1298477841' post='972298']
I kept playing it until my original xbox died in 2008 i think it was. Gameplay was awesome. The way they did the half time and sportscenter stuff was cool.
[/quote]

Madden is STILL trying to raise their presentation to the 2K5 levels. That game was beautiful. The immersion was great. I'd rank the presentation behind The Show and NBA 2K11 as far as sports games go. #3 for a [b]SEVEN[/b] year old game. That is why people still update the rosters and play on the 360 (yes, it's backward compatible if interested in picking it up).

Madden lead designer Ian Cummings even stated publicly that they wanted to put end all discussion of 2K5's presentation superiority with Madden 10. They failed. They also failed with Madden 11. Let's see if Madden 12 can finally put 2K5 to rest. I highly doubt it. The track record is poor with Tiburon.

I found the presentation in madden 10 annoying.
[quote name='sois' timestamp='1298478469' post='972301']
Madden is STILL trying to raise their presentation to the 2K5 levels. That game was beautiful. The immersion was great. I'd rank the presentation behind The Show and NBA 2K11 as far as sports games go. #3 for a [b]SEVEN[/b] year old game. That is why people still update the rosters and play on the 360 (yes, it's backward compatible if interested in picking it up).

Madden lead designer Ian Cummings even stated publicly that they wanted to put end all discussion of 2K5's presentation superiority with Madden 10. They failed. They also failed with Madden 11. Let's see if Madden 12 can finally put 2K5 to rest. I highly doubt it. The track record is poor with Tiburon.
[/quote]

[quote name='Ben' timestamp='1298479725' post='972307']
I found the presentation in madden 10 annoying.
[/quote]

Yeah it's not good. Those devs really aren't good at their jobs. There is poor vision at Tiburon. I wish EA would give another dev shop a chance with Madden.

I hope I am wrong. I would love to eat some crow and play a great football game. This entire console generation has been crappy for football gaming. Even with 2K... for how awesome it was, it only had a season mode and no franchise mode. Backbreaker was great, but you have to know there will be shortcomings for a first time product. The gameplay and physics were revolutionary but the franchise options were totally bare. I hope they make a sequel, that game had good promise.

Please be awesome Madden 12.

I started playing NCAA 11 yesterday. The controls are a bit different than madden. The jump the snap feature is interesting.

I am guessing they cannot use actual player names due to NCAA regulations? I started a dynasty with Ohio State and "Lynch" is my QB. Luckily i played marshall my first game learning the controls and Ohio State is insanely good in NCAA 11.

Archived