Firefox fans

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='sean' date='Jun 12 2005, 11:27 PM']The pages were messed up because of lazy programming. Firefox is based on w3 standards and IE is proprietary. When you program using standards, some features will work in FF but not in IE. The solution is to program for both, but many lazy programmers programmed for the highest common denominator. The landscape is changing and people that programmed just for IE are going to have a lot of work ahead of them.
[right][post="102333"][/post][/right][/quote]

hmmm.. i see your point, and i get what your saying.. and dont disagree...

however.. i dont think anyone is going to have to change anything.. except the kind folks over at firefox.

beta vs VHS...... minority had betamax, for a while made both,.. most people got VHS... beta died because no one made anything for beta.

PS: whats netscape up to these days? :mellow:

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 13 2005, 03:16 AM']hmmm.. i see your point, and i get what your saying..  and dont disagree...

however.. i dont think anyone is going to have to change anything.. except the kind folks over at firefox.

beta vs VHS...... minority had betamax,  for a while made both,.. most people got VHS... beta died because no one made anything for beta.

PS: whats netscape up to these days?  :mellow:
[right][post="102386"][/post][/right][/quote]

Rubbing a little salt in the wounds eh? .... Keep up the good work, Im supprised these Firefox fans dont have a Mac.

:ninja:

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jun 13 2005, 08:36 AM']Rubbing a little salt in the wounds eh? .... Keep up the good work, Im supprised these Firefox fans dont have a Mac.
:ninja:
[right][post="102411"][/post][/right][/quote]
there is definately a resemblence between mac fans and firefox fans.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Jun 13 2005, 07:59 AM']there is definately a resemblence between mac fans and firefox fans.
[right][post="102416"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I resent that remark! I'm no mac fan... I was at CompUSA and a mac guy trying to 'convert me'.... He got a little flustered after he asked the question "Who do you call when you have a problem" and i said "Nobody, i do this shit for a living". I could picture him delivering his schtick to some soccer mom or old lady.

[quote name='Ben' date='Jun 13 2005, 09:05 AM']I resent that remark!  I'm no mac fan...  I was at CompUSA and a mac guy trying to 'convert me'....  He got a little flustered after he asked the question "Who do you call when you have a problem" and i said "Nobody, i do this shit for a living".  I could picture him delivering his schtick to some soccer mom or old lady.
[right][post="102419"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
didnt mean that mac users are firefox users and visa versa, meant that its the same kind of attitude about the product.

Sorry if you felt i was calling you a mac user, if someone did that to me i would be greatly insulted and feel like i needed to take a shower. Please accept my apology.

[quote name='whodey319' date='Jun 13 2005, 09:36 AM'][b]didnt mean that mac users are firefox users and visa versa, meant that its the same kind of attitude about the product.[/b]

Sorry if you felt i was calling you a mac user, if someone did that to me i would be greatly insulted and feel like i needed to take a shower.  Please accept my apology.
[right][post="102426"][/post][/right][/quote]

Thats exactly what I was saying as well. Yeah I sorry about calling you a Mac user...that was pretty low. :P

Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jun 13 2005, 12:03 AM']hmm...age...excuse... possibly?
[right][post="102355"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

but im only 15. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/20.gif[/img]

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jun 13 2005, 12:57 PM']but im only 15.  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img]
[right][post="102513"][/post][/right][/quote]

Dont make me take out the belt and use it on this :363: young man. :D

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 13 2005, 02:16 AM']hmmm.. i see your point, and i get what your saying..  and dont disagree...

beta vs VHS...... minority had betamax,  for a while made both,.. most people got VHS... beta died because no one made anything for beta.

PS: whats netscape up to these days?  :mellow:
[right][post="102386"][/post][/right][/quote]

I use FF, IE, Netscape, and I'm getting Opera. Regardless of whether I'm a FF fan or not, it's bad programming to only program for IE. You then get people that have bad experiences with your site. This is a terrible business practice. When writing javascript, all you have to do is write the code 2 ways....the IE way and then the way EVERYONE else does it.

As a programmer, every time I come across a problem with functionality, IE is the culprit. The standards put forth by the W3C make sense and are intuitive to use. Microsoft just thumbs their nose at them. But, like I said, regardless of which browser you are a fan of, it's bad business to only program one way.

[quote name='sean' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:07 PM']I use FF, IE, Netscape, and I'm getting Opera. Regardless of whether I'm a FF fan or not, it's bad programming to only program for IE. You then get people that have bad experiences with your site. This is a terrible business practice. When writing javascript, all you have to do is write the code 2 ways....the IE way and then the way EVERYONE else does it.

As a programmer, every time I come across a problem with functionality, IE is the culprit. The standards put forth by the W3C make sense and are intuitive to use. Microsoft just thumbs their nose at them. But, like I said, regardless of which browser you are a fan of, [b]it's bad business to only program one way.[/b]
[right][post="102542"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

again, i dont disagree with you...

microsoft will be bankrupt within weeks...

[quote name='sean' date='Jun 13 2005, 02:07 PM']I use FF, IE, Netscape, and I'm getting Opera. Regardless of whether I'm a FF fan or not, it's bad programming to only program for IE. You then get people that have bad experiences with your site. This is a terrible business practice. When writing javascript, all you have to do is write the code 2 ways....the IE way and then the way EVERYONE else does it.

As a programmer, every time I come across a problem with functionality, IE is the culprit. The standards put forth by the W3C make sense and are intuitive to use. Microsoft just thumbs their nose at them. But, like I said, regardless of which browser you are a fan of, it's bad business to only program one way.
[right][post="102542"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You really only have to code for 1, just test for the object's existance and if the browser supports the object then you can do the code. Besides what is IE's share something like in the 90's...thats like saying lets write software for PC and then port it to the 4% Mac market. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/33.gif[/img]

But try sometime to create a charting tool that allows you to do drill downs by clicking on the specific data and allow those charts to be emailable. ChartFX is a IE ActiveX tool that allows you to just that... Firefox?!?

IE Owns.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:24 PM']You really only have to code for 1, just test for the object's existance and if the browser supports the object then you can do the code. Besides what is IE's share something like in the 90's...[b]thats like saying lets write software for PC and then port it to the 4% Mac market.[/b]  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/33.gif[/img]

But try sometime to create a charting tool that allows you to do drill downs by clicking on the specific data and allow those charts to be emailable. ChartFX is a IE ActiveX tool that allows you to just that... Firefox?!?

IE Owns.
[right][post="102549"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

It's completely different. Mac users [b]aren't[/b] going to be using the PC software. FF users [b]are[/b] going to go to your web page. Not programming for it creates a bad experience. If I'm selling widgets I want anyone who can visit to have a good experience. If I'm writing software for PC, I could care less about Mac.

I haven't had to program for ChartFX, but in generalities I like the "standard" way better.

As far as testing for the objects existance...that's what I'm talking about.
If it exists use it, else use the standard object. If you have a bad experience with FF, it's usually because someone was lazy in their programming.

[quote name='sean' date='Jun 13 2005, 02:38 PM']It's completely different. Mac users [b]aren't[/b] going to be using the PC software. FF users [b]are[/b] going to go to your web page. Not programming for it creates a bad experience. If I'm selling widgets I want anyone who can visit to have a good experience. If I'm writing software for PC, I could care less about Mac.

I haven't had to program for ChartFX, but in generalities I like the "standard" way better.

As far as testing for the objects existance...that's what I'm talking about.
If it exists use it, else use the standard object. If you have a bad experience with FF, it's usually because someone was lazy in their programming.
[right][post="102557"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

My point was there are some things programmers need to be able to do that "standards" dont allow but the customer still wants and can do in a non-standards way. So far as I know there isnt a good way to do charting in a "standards" way that still allows the things my customer needs a charting tool to do. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

Actualy the browser in general is very limited in terms of GUI's compared to Windows and ActiveX bridges some those gaps.

Guest BengalBacker

OK.

I'm done with Firefox.

A couple of sites I go to, I have to log back in every time. It keeps my info, but I still have to log in.

I've ran into too many sites that don't work right.

I've had to download too many plug ins.

Back to IE for me. <_<

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:54 PM']OK.

I'm done with Firefox.

A couple of sites I go to, I have to log back in every time. It keeps my info, but I still have to log in.

Back to IE for me.  <_<
[right][post="102574"][/post][/right][/quote]

take a shower and remove your shoes please.. dont want to track the nasties from firefox all over out IE rug...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 13 2005, 03:51 PM']take a shower and remove your shoes please.. dont want to track the nasties from firefox all over out IE rug...
[right][post="102603"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 13 2005, 03:51 PM']take a shower and remove your shoes please.. dont want to track the nasties from firefox all over out IE rug...
[right][post="102603"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
and make sure you throw your tabs away too

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Jun 13 2005, 02:54 PM']OK.

I'm done with Firefox.

Back to IE for me.  <_<

Never had that problem. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//26.gif[/img]

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Jun 13 2005, 01:54 PM']OK.

I'm done with Firefox.

Back to IE for me.  <_<

Did you click on the "remember me" option?

I have never had any problems, ever, with Firefox.

However I do get some random pop ups now :rolleyes:

Archived