Disappointed with UC

Beaker

Let me preface this by saying that over the years I have attended 6 colleges for undergrad, grad and licensure purposes. I have taken courses at two 2 yr schools, and four 4 yr schools. The point being, I have had exposure to a number of different colleges in several states to be able to form this opinion.

I just completed the spring quarter at UC. I took 2 biology courses. I took a 500 level course (graduate level), and a 300 level course (upper level undergrad). These courses were TERRIBLE!... both in content level and teaching method. In the labs we did experiments that were the kind we would actually do in 10th grade biology. In one of the experiments they actually had us hunt for peanuts in the grass to model predator/prey density relationships! The instructors were unenthusiastic and basically read their powerpoint slides in lecture. And the tests were either multiple choice that were way too obvious, or short answer to terribly constructed, ambiguous questions. I feel my money was wasted. I have had more in-depth and challenging courses at Sinclair Community College.

I think if my daughter came to me and said she wanted to attend UC, that I would encourage her to make an alternate choice. Im putting this post up out of frustration...and as information to be considered by anyone that may be making a college decision soon.

Guest mongoloido
It's amazing isn't it? I did a year at UC after high school while figuring out where I really wanted to go to college. No exaggeration: any eighth grader at my junior high could have gotten a 4.0 in my classes without putting forth any effort (and yes, I got a 4.0 too. Of course, I was a lot less sober than an eighth grader would be, so it required a tiny bit of effort to stay awake).

I'm sure they have a few programs that are very good (engineering is supposed to be well reguarded), but it's just a lousy school.

not sure about biology or what mongo did but UC has the highest rated architecture and interior design programs in the country, engineering and pharmacy are regarded very highly, and the medical school is one of the largest research institutes in the world. Thats pretty strong for one school.

Not surprised that the undergrad class is the way you describe it, but if that is the case on the grad class, then I'm surprised and disappointed. I did grad work at two schools in History, and both were challenging, in terms of depth of work and scope, even if the peculiar axiomatic bases for historiography are a bit screwy, as a general rule.

Sort of related to your concern, but in the workplace, is this little anecdote, which may sound familiar. It happened yesterday.

A fellow I know, who has some supervisory responsibilities (mid-level management), likes to complain that "kids nowadays can't work worth a crap." I understand his frustration, but I've heard this so many times over the last 30 years, it's passe.

I said, "Look, what are you really saying? All youngsters need to be taught how to work, going all the way back to when humans chased bears into caves to bash them for their meat and fur. If your kids aren't good workers, then it is partly your fault for not teaching them good work habits. It is the responsibility of the older generation to pass this kind of stuff down to the newer generation. You can't blame a whole generation without blaming your generation."

Seen in that light, he sort of got it. But, knowing him, it won't be long before I hear him bitch about his "kids" again.

I graduated from UC, College of Engineering, in Chemical Engineering. No shortage of challenge there. Not all universities can be great in every program, but as whodey319 said, they are excellent in several programs. When I was there, the computer and electrical engineering programs were among the best in the country.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Jun 14 2005, 12:12 PM']Not surprised that the undergrad class is the way you describe it, but if that is the case on the grad class, then I'm surprised and disappointed. I did grad work at two schools in History, and both were challenging, in terms of depth of work and scope, even if the peculiar axiomatic bases for historiography are a bit screwy, as a general rule.
[right][post="102981"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
What two schools, out of curiosity. Were they pretty good?

I am in the market for History Graduate Schools, and need to send off my things by October.

[quote name='#22' date='Jun 14 2005, 04:52 PM']What two schools, out of curiosity. Were they pretty good?

I am in the market for History Graduate Schools, and need to send off my things by October.
[right][post="103114"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Sent you a PM.

Archived