Bengals Offseason Projection

starkesn

Since I think the mock offseason draft was a little unrealistic, I figured I'd post the offseason projection that I think would be as realistic as possible. I am assuming that we will have about $60 million to spend based on John Clayton's estimates. I'm not entirely sure on the contract numbers, but these are my best guesses as to the free agent values based on last season's contracts.

[b][u]2012 Bengals Offseason[/u][/b]

[u][b]$60 Million = Offseason Cap[/b][/u]

[b][u]Players Cut[/u] [/b]
DE Robert Geathers = $4.5 Million

[u][b]$64.5 Million = Available Cap[/b][/u]

[u][b]ERFA / RFA Retained[/b][/u]
RB Cedric Peerman + $.5 Million – 1 year
LS Clark Harris + $.5 Million – 1 year
FB Chris Pressley + $.5 Million – 1 year

[b][u]Free Agents Retained [/u] [/b]
OT Anthony Collins + $1.5 Million – 2 years
DE Jonathan Fanene + $2 Million – 1 year
DE Frostee Rucker + $2 Million – 2 years
LB Brandon Johnson + $2 Million – 2 years
CB Adam Jones + $1.5 Million – 2 years
FS Reggie Nelson + $4 Million – 4 years
K Mike Nugent + $2.5 Million – 3 years

[u][b]$43 Million = Available Cap[/b][/u]

[u][b]Free Agents Signed[/b][/u]
CB Brandon Carr + $9 Million – 4 years
OG Ben Grubbs + $7 Million – 5 years
WR Reggie Wayne + $6 Million – 2 years
SS Tyvon Branch + $5 Million – 3 years
LB David Hawthorne + $4 Million – 2 years
TE Martellus Bennett + $2 Million – 2 years

[u][b]$10 Million = Remaining Cap[/b][/u]
$7 Million = Draft Picks
$3 Million = Injury/Extra Money

[b][u]2012 Draft Picks[/u][/b]

[b]Round 1 - [/b]Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia
[b]Round 1 - [/b]Devon Still, DT, Penn St.
[b]Round 2 - [/b]Doug Martin, RB, Boise St.
[b]Round 3 - [/b]Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa
[b]Round 4 - [/b]Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati [b] [/b]
[b]Round 5 - [/b]Derek Wolfe, DT, Cincinnati
[b]Round 5 - [/b]Rhett Ellison, TE, USC
[b]Round 6 - [/b]Tashaun Gipson, CB, Wyoming
[b]Round 7 - [/b]Alex Hurst, OT, LSU

[b][u]53 Man Roster:[/u][/b]

[b][u]Quarterbacks: (2)[/u][/b]
[b]QB - Andy Dalton, Bruce Gradkowski[/b]

* No reason to change anything here.

[b][u]Runningbacks / Fullbacks: (5)[/u][/b]
[b]RB - Doug Martin, Isaiah Pead, Brian Leonard, Cedric Peerman[/b]
[b]FB - Chris Pressley[/b]

* I think it makes more sense to go to the draft to fix the running game. I think Martin can be the all-around, Ray Rice type of back in Jay Gruden’s offense, but I also would go after Pead if he is still on the board after the 3[sup]rd[/sup] round. Most picks won’t be starting that late in the draft anyway, and he is just too explosive to pass up. He will push Martin from day one and give us EXCELLENT improvement in the return game.

[b][u]Wide Receiver: (6)[/u][/b]
[b]WR - AJ Green, Andrew Hawkins[/b]
[b]WR - Reggie Wayne, Marvin McNutt[/b]
[b]WR - Jordan Shipley, Ryan Whalen[/b]

* Jerome Simpson has played his last game as a Bengal and I think Reggie Wayne is the perfect fit to compliment AJ. He gives Dalton the security of an excellent route runner and can mentor 3[sup]rd[/sup] round pick Marvin McNutt as well. Combine that with the return of Jordan Shipley and Dalton should have plenty of options to pick from.

[b][u]Tight End: (3)[/u][/b]
[b]TE - Jermaine Gresham, Martellus Bennett, Rhett Ellison[/b]

* It only makes sense that we would bring in Bennett since we were rumored to have tried to get him from Dallas on more than one occasion. He would be a great compliment to Gresham and round out an extremely dangerous receiving core. Ellison gives us an intriguing option as more of an h-back style of player that can line up both at fullback and at tight end in different formations giving Gruden yet another toy to play with.

[b][u]Offensive Line: (9)[/u][/b]
[b]OT - Andrew Whitworth [/b]
[b]OT - Andre Smith, Anthony Collins[/b]
[b]OG - Cordy Glenn, Otis Hudson[/b]
[b]OG - Ben Grubbs, Clint Boling[/b]
[b]OC - Kyle Cook, Reggie Stephens[/b]

* The position group with the biggest need is obviously the offensive line. First off, I think Anthony Collins simply can’t get away. He has been far too valuable as a back-up to both tackle spots to let him walk out the door. Secondly, I think you have to go after Grubbs right away. He may not be as good as Nicks, but Grubbs is more suited to the grind of the AFC North and would make a mean tandem with Andre on the right side of the line. To fill out the other guard spot, I think you go with Cordy Glenn with the first of our two 1[sup]ST[/sup] Round picks. He is more of a mauler than DeCastro and also gives you the versatility to play left tackle that could be extremely valuable if Whitworth were to get hurt. The improvements at both guard spots would do wonders to improving the offense as a whole.

[b][u]Defensive Line: (8)[/u][/b]
[b]DE - Carlos Dunlop, Frostee Rucker[/b]
[b]DE - Michael Johnson, Jonathan Fanene[/b]
[b]DT - Domata Peko, Devon Still[/b]
[b]DT - Geno Adkins, Derek Wolfe[/b]

* While Pat Sims’ absence clearly affected the run defense down the stretch, I think he will move on in search of a starting spot somewhere else. To replace his force up the middle, I would take Devon Still with the second 1[sup]ST[/sup] Round pick. I addition to Still, I would also bring in Derek Wolfe to round out the interior defense. The Giants have proven that you simply can’t have enough good linemen on either side of the ball.

[b][u]Linebackers: (7)[/u][/b]
[b]WLB - Thomas Howard, Keith Rivers, Brandon Johnson[/b]
[b]MLB - David Hawthorne, Roderick Muckleroy[/b]
[b]SLB - Rey Maualuga, DeQuin Evans[/b]

* Maualuga’s off field troubles have proven that we need more security at the linebacker position. Even if he isn’t suspended, we need to upgrade at middle linebacker and Hawthorne could be that answer. He has been solid if not spectacular for the Seahawks and would provide the stability up the middle that Maualuga cannot. Rey needs to move back outside where he can think less and react more. I think the final spot is a little bit of a surprise as I think Moch losses out to DeQuin Evans. I saw a lot of potential out of him in the preseason and unless Moch responds with a great training camp, I think Evans gets the final spot.

[b][u]Cornerbacks: (5)[/u][/b]
[b]CB - Leon Hall, Nate Clements, Brandon Ghee[/b]
[b]CB - Brandon Carr, Adam Jones[/b]

* Even if Hall makes a full recovery in time for opening day, a significant upgrade is needed opposite him. Brandon Carr is going to cost probably just as much as Hall if not more considering he’s only 26, but he would be worth it to add another lock down corner to replace what we lost in Joseph. Brining in Carr will allow Clements to work in the slot where he is more comfortable and having Adam Jones as a fourth corner gives us extremely good depth at the corner position.

[b][u]Safeties: (5)[/u][/b]
[b]S - Reggie Nelson, Jeremy Miles[/b]
[b]S - Tyvon Branch, Taylor Mays, Robert Sands[/b]

* Reggie Nelson should be the top priority of our own free agents. While inconsistent at times, he has proven to be a huge addition since coming over from Jacksonville. To compliment him, I think we go after Tyvon Branch. He’s a hard hitting, in the box safety that also has all kinds of speed to cover over the middle. He has been extremely reliable in Oakland and would add another steady, if not spectacular starter to help minimize the big plays that have plagued us for what seems like forever. He could have the same kind of steadying impact to the secondary that Thomas Howard brought this past season to the linebacking core.

[b][u]Special Teams: (3)[/u][/b]
[b]K - Mike Nugent[/b]
[b]P - Kevin Huber[/b]
[b]LS - Clark Harris[/b]

* Nothing big here. Nugent had his issues down the stretch, but he should be easy enough to keep in town. If not, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Shayne Graham back in stripes next season.

[b][u]Practice Squad: (8)[/u][/b]

[b]QB - Zach Robinson[/b]
[b]FB - James Develin[/b]
[b]OT - Matthew O’Donnell[/b]
[b]LB - Micah Johnson[/b]
[b]LB - Vincent Rey[/b]
[b]WR - Armon Binns[/b]
[b]CB - Tashaun Gipson[/b]
[b]OT - Alex Hurst[/b]

Archived