Aroldis Chapman, his future, and the Win Now philosophy

Jason

Also with Madson as the closer this year, it gives you the opportunity to try Chapman at starter. If you give him a year or most the year and he just isnt cutting it and not showing enough to consider him a starter in 2013 you can always groom him to be the closer going into 2013 if you dont bring back Madson. And if it takes him time to adjust him to that role, you can have marshall close.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1330402954' post='1099920']
Also with Madson as the closer this year, it gives you the opportunity to try Chapman at starter. If you give him a year or most the year and he just isnt cutting it and not showing enough to consider him a starter in 2013 you can always groom him to be the closer going into 2013 if you dont bring back Madson. And if it takes him time to adjust him to that role, you can have marshall close.
[/quote]

yea when I made my post I had forgotten they had signed Madson. Still, I think that's where Chapman will end up longterm and think a shutdown closer would be more valuable to the team than an ace closer.

You're right though, with Madson here (and marshall) there's no reason not to give Chapman a trial run as a starter.

Archived