A little insight into the UDFA process

Kashif Moore's father has posted on a UConn message board I've frequented throughout his career at UConn, here's a post about the draft/UDFA process....

[quote][color=#141414][font=Georgia,][background=rgb(252, 252, 255)]What a whirlwind of a weekend. We had a great atmosphere at home with about 50 family and friends. Plenty of food and drink, along with 2 spades tournaments going. It was a pressureless atmosphere until the end of the seventh when it was decision time. Teams were calling one after the other inquiring about Kash's services. We had about an hour to decide. Where were all of these teams during the draft? We had our own war room going. How many wr's did each team have? Who did they pick up thru FA? How many did they draft? How many slot receivers on the team? What bonus was the team offering? How much time do we have to decide? Has there been previous contact? Who's making the contact, scout, position coach, finance mgr or head coach? There was only one head coach who demanded to speak with Kash. His question was "Kashif, what will it take to make you a Bengal? You have an excellent opportunity to make this squad." I now understand why Coach Lewis has a reputation as a "players coach". Quite an experience. There's 2 starting positions up for grabs. They didn't resign Simpson (X position) and Shipley (starting slot) is coming back from ACL surgery. Will he be full go? Kash is excited and can't wait to get started. He has a chip on his shoulder.[/quote][/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1335891225' post='1127853']
The Draft Wrap up interview on Bengals.com has some discussion of this from the Bengals side...(not Kashif in particular)
[/quote]

x2. A must watch. Great interview by Marvin, as well as a completely different perspective (for me atleast) on outgoing Jim Lippencott.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1335891312' post='1127855']
x2. A must watch. Great interview by Marvin, as well as a completely different perspective (for me atleast) on outgoing Jim Lippencott.
[/quote]
Agreed. I've noticed Marvin has actually become A TON more forthcoming in his interviews over the last year. I wonder how much of that has to do with having two Coordinators who aren't afraid to speak plainly and say what they think on whatever topic they are asked. As a fan it sure makes it much more interesting and informative for me.

Marvin also had a couple of really curious comments. One, he suggested that Kenny Irons didn't follow their rehab procedure and that's why he ruined his knee. Two, as mentioned elsewhere, by deduction it seems that our previous coordinators weren't doing their due diligence on watching tape etc., of draft prospects.

Archived