Huggins??? New Deal in the works???

Guest RudiRudiRudi

Guest RudiRudiRudi
WLW is reporting that UC is currently working on a new deal for Huggins which will be announced on friday the same day as UC officially becomes a member of the Big East, there is going to be things going on Downtown and on Campus all day for this and the Huggins deal is expected to be part of that.....

also there are strong rumors that OJ Mayo and Bill Walker told UC that they would come here if Huggins was going to be the coach, which would explain Zimphers sudden change of heart, or it could be that she new if Huggins had a good year or two in the Big East her job could be in jeopardy....

Guest RudiRudiRudi
[quote name='The Carson Show' date='Jun 28 2005, 02:03 PM']great news
finally that femi-nazi zimpher realized uc basketball would crumble if they lost huggs
[right][post="108297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

yes it is, and just before all the skeptics make there "link" post, this is an internet rumor, no one is reporting it officially but if you listen to talk radio today it will be brought up

Guest RudiRudiRudi
[url="http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=107&threadID=1975374&lastPostID=11242302"]http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?foru...PostID=11242302[/url]

heres another board on espn.com they have been talking about it a bit....

also i heard the guy who is filling in for pic on 1360 today talking about it....

again they are just rumors at this time

[quote name='sean' date='Jun 28 2005, 02:11 PM']All I've heard on radio is "wouldn't it be great if..."  ,  "there won't be a better time for Zimpher to save face...",  but most people seem to feel that Zimpher is stubborn and won't do it.
[right][post="108308"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]How would Zimpher be saving face by KEEPING Huggins? I think she lost enough respect around that institution of
"higher" learning when she didn't can him over his drunk driving antics.

Please don't come back w/ the argument of "look how much money the basketball program pours into the school." And UC should be thanking Huggs for getting them into the Big East and more revenue." That's terrible and I would be very surprised if the rest of the faculty didn't have a huge backlash if their is any truth to these new rumors.

I've had the unique experience of attending both UC and Xavier (UC for 1.5 and XU for 2.5 yrs). However, I'm a Muskie through and through but it is rather obvious who runs things in Clifton. Zimpher has a choice, either rid the school of Huggs when his contract is up or shutup. If she extends Huggins current deal then she is also saying his previous actions will be accepted by the university and even rewarded through a contract extension.

I think UC fans feel if Huggs leaves then so does the program. If UCs program is half as good as people in Cincinnati think it is then it can weather this storm. The school deserves a team that shows up more in the box score than the police blotter.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='Jun 28 2005, 02:43 PM']How would Zimpher be saving face by KEEPING Huggins?  I think she lost enough respect around that institution of
"higher" learning when she didn't can him over his drunk driving antics.

Please don't come back w/ the argument of "look how much money the basketball program pours into the school." And UC should be thanking Huggs for getting them into the Big East and more revenue."  That's terrible and I would be very surprised if the rest of the faculty didn't have a huge backlash if their is any truth to these new rumors.

I've had the unique experience of attending both UC and Xavier (UC for 1.5 and XU for 2.5 yrs).  However, I'm a Muskie through and through but it is rather obvious who runs things in Clifton.  Zimpher has a choice, either rid the school of Huggs when his contract is up or shutup.  If she extends Huggins current deal then she is also saying his previous actions will be accepted by the university and even rewarded through a contract extension. 

I think UC fans feel if Huggs leaves then so does the program.  If UCs program is half as good as people in Cincinnati think it is then it can weather this storm.  The school deserves a team that shows up more in the box score than the police blotter.
[right][post="108328"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

If Huggins contract isn't renewed the program will survive. However, donations to the program and UCATS memberships have declined with the whole fiasco. She'll save face with the people who are giving money by extending the contract.
I don't know why you think the money issue is irrelevant, because it's ALL about the money. Why would there be backlash from the rest of the faculty? We're talking about UC.. not Harvard. They know that ,unfortanately , the basketball program is what keeps the school afloat. The same could be said for Xaxier.
Just because you think this argument is invalid doesn't make it so.

[quote name='sean' date='Jun 29 2005, 02:53 AM']If Huggins contract isn't renewed the program will survive. However, donations to the program and UCATS memberships have declined with the whole fiasco. She'll save face with the people who are giving money by extending the contract.
I don't know why you think the money issue is irrelevant, because it's ALL about the money. Why would there be backlash from the rest of the faculty? We're talking about UC.. not Harvard. They know that ,unfortanately ,  the basketball program is what keeps the school afloat. The same could be said for Xaxier.
Just because you think this argument is invalid doesn't make it so.
[right][post="108538"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

So you are fine w/ the graduation rates UC posts, the type of players they recruit, and the recent actions of the team's head coach and assistant coaches? Because if money trumps all then Huggs stays, nothing changes and UC is still UNLV East.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:33 AM']So you are fine w/ the graduation rates UC posts, the type of players they recruit, and the recent actions of the team's head coach and assistant coaches?  Because if money trumps all then Huggs stays, nothing changes and UC is still UNLV East.
[right][post="108556"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Huggins gives guys a second chance by bringing them to UC. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. As for graduation rates, until they stop counting JuCo transfers against graduation rates, it will never look good. He has 2 or 3 of them just about every year. That will knock 20%+ off your graduation rate right away.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='Jun 29 2005, 07:33 AM']So you are fine w/ the graduation rates UC posts, the type of players they recruit, and the recent actions of the team's head coach and assistant coaches?  Because if money trumps all then Huggs stays, nothing changes and UC is still UNLV East.
[right][post="108556"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Those graduation rates are skewed because they don't include JC transfers or people who don't graduate within 6 years. The UC athletic department graduates a higher percentage of students than Kentucky does. There's no excuse for drunk driving, but should you be fired for drunk driving? Yes if you drive for a living. If you are a high profile coach, a suspension will suffice. Do you think an English professor would be suspended or fired?

[quote name='sean' date='Jun 29 2005, 08:21 AM']Those graduation rates are skewed because they don't include JC transfers or people who don't graduate within 6 years. The UC athletic department graduates a higher percentage of students than Kentucky does. There's no excuse for drunk driving, but should you be fired for drunk driving? Yes if you drive for a living. If you are a high profile coach, a suspension will suffice. Do you think an English professor would be suspended or fired?
[right][post="108569"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I think that professor would have been at least suspended most likely WITHOUT pay. Also, they wouldn't have been so accomodating w/ how long he was suspended like Huggs. If you keep Huggs around expect more Roy Brights, BJ Groves, Donald Littles, and for the sake of entertainment please MORE ART LONGS!!!!!! While it's true Huggs can recruit, the term "off court issues" is as foreign to him as sober is to him and his coaching staff. I think Huggs can maintain the program but I think the program is bigger than him and has been for some time.There has rarely been a UC team that didn't have outstanding players but Huggs has struggled to get them to play as a cohesive unit. I wonder if their new recruit will have to register in Cincy as a sex offender if he's found guilty?

Guest oldschooler
Huggins is there to teach BASKETBALL.
And to have a competitive program.
He does that...

As far as the DUI...alot of people get DUI`s
and don`t lose their job. Huggins shouldn`t be
held to a higher standard than any1 else that
doesn`t drive for a living...

[quote name='Stanley Wilson's Dealer' date='Jun 29 2005, 09:25 AM']Sorry a bit off topic, but is it true that Art Long once punched out a horse?
[right][post="108585"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yup, its true. While Danny Fortson verbally assaulted the police officer.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='Jun 29 2005, 09:11 AM']Huggins is there to teach BASKETBALL.
And to have a competitive program.
He does that...
As far as the DUI...alot of people get DUI`s
and don`t lose their job. Huggins shouldn`t be
held to a higher standard than any1 else that
doesn`t drive for a living...
[right][post="108580"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

On a sidenote, props to Jason Maxiell for GRADUATING, yes GRADUATING and doing things the right way. Good luck Max.

Anyhow, so everyone is ok w/ the quality characters Huggins recruits? Do you believe in the term "student-athlete"? This kids are amateurs, not professionals. Huggs does teach them basketball but little else. When you take troubled kids in you need to offer them help other than on a basketball court if you don't want them to revert back to old ways. Huggs doesn't do that. I'm all for giving kids a second chance but they are offered no guidance.

Guest The Carson Show
its not huggs fault that only ghetto thugs want to come here
UC is university of compton
its in the ghetto
if a thug has a choice of going to a school in a nice area like UNC
or UC which is smack dab in the middle the ghetto
what do u think they choose??
UC so they can stay within their element of guns, drugs, and gangs

[quote name='The Carson Show' date='Jun 29 2005, 11:07 AM']its not huggs fault that only ghetto thugs want to come here
its in the ghetto
[right][post="108607"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Uc is actually situated between the ghetto (Corryville) and mansions(Clifton).
It's right across the street from a park. For the life of me I can't figure out why people call it an "inner-city" school. It's surrounded by green and (right now) construction and it's not down-town.
The new housing and retail that they're building on Calhoun and McMicken will be awesome.

[quote name='The Carson Show' date='Jun 29 2005, 11:07 AM']its not huggs fault that only ghetto thugs want to come here
its in the ghetto
[right][post="108607"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

either that or they know it will be tolerated at UC.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='Jun 29 2005, 11:40 AM']Yup, its true.  While Danny Fortson verbally assaulted the police officer.
[right][post="108600"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Goddamn! I thought that was a myth. This incident was never captured on film or on camera by any chance was it?

Guest RudiRudiRudi
[quote name='Stanley Wilson's Dealer' date='Jun 29 2005, 02:14 PM']Goddamn! I thought that was a myth. This incident was never captured on film or on camera by any chance was it?
[right][post="108652"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

no however i remember seeing the bar security cameras catching this one.....

[url="http://www.cincypost.com/2004/12/08/xuhoop12-08-2004.html"]http://www.cincypost.com/2004/12/08/xuhoop12-08-2004.html[/url]

[quote name='RudiRudiRudi' date='Jun 29 2005, 02:33 PM']no however i remember seeing the bar security cameras catching this one.....

[url="http://www.cincypost.com/2004/12/08/xuhoop12-08-2004.html"]http://www.cincypost.com/2004/12/08/xuhoop12-08-2004.html[/url]
[right][post="108662"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] Bring up something he was NEVER convicted of, and at all places, SOUPIES.............Wow, I have to admit I frequented that place on Thursdays, Big Ass Beer Night where all double deuces (22oz) were two dollars. Good times....Need I bring up BJ Grove shoving and assaulting his then PREGNANT girlfriend? I could go on for days, but I digress.

[url="http://www.enquirer.com/bearcats/2000/06/28/uc_grove_is_indicted_on.html"]http://www.enquirer.com/bearcats/2000/06/2...ndicted_on.html[/url]

Guest RudiRudiRudi
[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='Jun 29 2005, 04:49 PM'] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]   Bring up something he was NEVER convicted of, and at all places, SOUPIES.............Wow, I have to admit I frequented that place on Thursdays, Big Ass Beer Night where all double deuces (22oz) were two dollars.  Good times....Need I bring up BJ Grove shoving and assaulting his then PREGNANT girlfriend?  I could go on for days, but I digress.

[url="http://www.enquirer.com/bearcats/2000/06/28/uc_grove_is_indicted_on.html"]http://www.enquirer.com/bearcats/2000/06/2...ndicted_on.html[/url]
[right][post="108699"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

my point is why dont you spend more time talking about what your team does on the court and not all your time worrying about who on our team is a "thug"

sure xavier has had some bright moments the last few years, but they lack the consistancy UC has, ok ok im sure you will come back with how consistant UC is losing the second round every year, ok we get it, but the fact of the matter is every year UC makes the tourney and every year they have a shot at going far, altough it hasnt happend every year.....Xavier didnt even make it to the tourney last year, i know they made it to the Elite Eight the year before but that doesnt count for much when you cant even make the NIT the year after....

every team has guys who arent exactly role models, including xavier, duke, kentucky, unc, etc.......

and tell me exactly how many UC players have been convicted of a crime, just like caudle they get off because just like caudle the university puts money into getting them off, BJ Grove was kicked off the team for being fat and lazy before he ever committed the crime against his girlfriend, now how is that Huggins or the Universitys fault....

i could as you say go on and on, but i wont, if you wanna bring up how the two teams match up on the court thats cool, but you xavier fans and all other UC haters need to find some new arguments against Huggins and the Cats....

[quote name='RudiRudiRudi' date='Jun 29 2005, 05:56 PM']my point is why dont you spend more time talking about what your team does on the court and not all your time worrying about who on our team is a "thug"

sure xavier has had some bright moments the last few years, but they lack the consistancy UC has, ok ok im sure you will come back with how consistant UC is losing the second round every year, ok we get it, but the fact of the matter is every year UC makes the tourney and every year they have a shot at going far, altough it hasnt happend every year.....Xavier didnt even make it to the tourney last year, i know they made it to the Elite Eight the year before but that doesnt count for much when you cant even make the NIT the year after....

every team has guys who arent exactly role models, including xavier, duke, kentucky, unc, etc.......

and tell me exactly how many UC players have been convicted of a crime, just like caudle they get off because just like caudle the university puts money into getting them off, BJ Grove was kicked off the team for being fat and lazy before he ever committed the crime against his girlfriend, now how is that Huggins or the Universitys fault....

i could as you say go on and on, but i wont, if you wanna bring up how the two teams match up on the court thats cool, but you xavier fans and all other UC haters need to find some new arguments against Huggins and the Cats....
[right][post="108709"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Good points all around......We can talk about six out of the last nine years, if need be........I love getting into arguments w/ UC fans......Most think they can't win w/out Huggs when I'm convinced they eventually could make that next big step w/out him. Sure, it would be rough goings but you're in the Big East now so your exposure will be exponentially larger than it was when you guys were in CUSA. You seem to know your hoop and I'm sure we could go on and on but it's pointless....We both are firmly entrenched in our beliefs...........Good posting RUDI!

Guest RudiRudiRudi
[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='Jun 29 2005, 06:31 PM']Good points all around......We can talk about six out of the last nine years, if need be........I love getting into arguments w/ UC fans......Most think they can't win w/out Huggs when I'm convinced they eventually could make that next big step w/out him.  Sure, it would be rough goings but you're in the Big East now so your exposure will be exponentially larger than it was when you guys were in CUSA.  You seem to know your hoop and I'm sure we could go on and on but it's pointless....[b]We both are firmly entrenched in our beliefs[/b]...........Good posting RUDI!
[right][post="108714"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i dont think fans should be any other way....

im not really sure how UC would do without Huggins, i think if they brought in someone with instant credibility it could work, or if someone like mick cronin came in i think they would be fine also, look what dantanio is doing for the football team, he is using the best resources availible to him which is local talent and i think he will have that team going places in some time, i think if they got the right person to come in for basketball and do what he is doing they would be better off because i dont think huggnins put nearly as much emphasis on local talent as he should....

Archived