Cincinnati Reds Pitcher Alfredo Simon Accused of Rape at D.C. Hotel

Go Skins

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Cincinnati-Reds-Pitcher-Alfredo-Simon-Accused-of-Rape-at-DC-Hotel-256612521.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_DCBrand

A former D.C. woman accused a Major League Baseball player of raping her at a D.C. hotel in a civil suit filed Thursday.

A woman claims she met 32-year-old Cincinnati Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon at a nightclub downtown last April just hours after he pitched against the Washington Nationals.

After going back to the Mayflower Renaissance Hotel on Connecticut Avenue NW together, Simon got physical with her, the woman claims. She says once he got rough, she told him to stop.

I'm inclined to side with the victim in most cases, but I have to wonder at somebody filing a civil suit over a rape a year after they claim it happened & without filing any kind of police report in between.

This is probably from watching too much Law and Order SVU, but I suspect it was to talk to a lawyer to see if there is a case to begin with (meaning enough evidence, since the victim went to a hospital the day after and a rape kit was done) and wanted to be as emotionally sound as one can be after dealing with something traumatic. 

This is probably from watching too much Law and Order SVU, but I suspect it was to talk to a lawyer to see if there is a case to begin with (meaning enough evidence, since the victim went to a hospital the day after and a rape kit was done) and wanted to be as emotionally sound as one can be after dealing with something traumatic. 

Aha, missed that.

The woman says in her civil suit that she went to the hospital the next day and reported it to police.

Sources told News4 no criminal charges were filed.

Next question being why the cops decided not to do anything.  Not that it means it didn't happen, of course.

Aha, missed that.

Next question being why the cops decided not to do anything.  Not that it means it didn't happen, of course.

That's a good question.  Maybe that is why it took a year, she wanted legal advice.  I would assume she got a copy of the police report to show to a lawyer.

Archived