Soldier Does His Job...

Homer_Rice

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jul 26 2005, 01:08 PM']Thanks Rick, So far as the USSR, [b]the question becomes was it nessasary that we funded the Telaban (Honest question, I dont know) in order to fight them, that region is pretty hard to fight in in the first place, and the USSR has never had the military we have so there is no basis for comparison to what we did there.[/b]
[right][post="119593"][/post][/right][/quote]

ouch... tough question... they (the taliban) wouldn't have won w/out our help and i feel that the USSR would only be stronger by now... i could be wrong about that too, b/c communism is prevelant for failing so maybe they would have fell by theirself...

but hindsight tells me that it was a HUGE mistake... i'd say... i don't know what i'd say to that <_<

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jul 26 2005, 01:14 PM']Good points Steggy, another thing people dont nessasarly realize (Though Ive heard Homer say) is that the idea of where things are going to go with Iraq. We can look to Germany post WW2 in a minor sence and see that. [b]When I lived there, It seemed like there were people who loved us for getting involved as there were people who hated us. This idea that were creating terrorists, is in the short term partally correct, but its also bullshit, for every one we create we also create a iraqi who is happy with what we are doing. It will not be this generation that knows wether or not what we are doing in Iraq is worth it, their grandchildren will be the ones that will be.[/b]
[right][post="119599"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

<standing ovation>
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

for every "terrorist" we create, we also create a patriot... also great point about our generation not knowing the effects of what we're doing...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jul 26 2005, 03:25 PM']ouch... tough question... they (the taliban) wouldn't have won w/out our help and i feel that the USSR would only be stronger by now... i could be wrong about that too, b/c communism is prevelant for failing so maybe they would have fell by theirself...

but hindsight tells me that it was a HUGE mistake... i'd say... i don't know what i'd say to that <_<
[right][post="119643"][/post][/right][/quote]

Agreed it's a tough question and too late to ask for now, but for the future its one that can be put foward.

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jul 26 2005, 03:28 PM']<standing ovation>
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

for every "terrorist" we create, we also create a patriot... also great point about our generation not knowing the effects of what we're doing...
[right][post="119645"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You will never please all of the people all of the time, you can only go forth and try to do what you believe is right.

(Cue BJ with the long list of things that we do wrong too)

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jul 26 2005, 02:29 PM']Agreed it's a tough question and too late to ask for now, but for the future its one that can be put foward.
[right][post="119646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

to put this into current context, if a milita in iran was willing to step up and overthrow the iran gov't, but only if they had our help... that is a hell of a question... we really don't know what they will do w/ the power after they get it.... its almost like it only buys us time, and doesn't solve any problems...

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Jul 26 2005, 03:40 PM']to put this into current context, if a milita in iran was willing to step up and overthrow the iran gov't, but only if they had our help... that is a hell of a question... we really don't know what they will do w/ the power after they get it.... its almost like it only buys us time, and doesn't solve any problems...
[right][post="119654"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Of couse noone truly knows the intentions of them once they have power, thats why you continue to make sure you have good relations with them once they do.

Guest bengaljet
From the Revolutionary War to the Civil War,WWI + II,Korea,Vietnam (all Wars),+ Iraq. The US Soldier is the same. Adolph Hitler said it best in WW II when witnessing the Battle of the Ardennes(Forrest?).Hitler said he saw the "Perfect Soldier"fighting today. The "Perfect Warrior" was the American Soldier fighting his German Soldiers. Damn big COMPLIMENT from an enemy.
The ? is not the soldier,but the leadership of them. Intelligence,truth + honesty all matter IMO-if there is a ? of any of these missing-there should be ?? asked.

[quote name='bengaljet' date='Jul 26 2005, 02:46 PM']From the Revolutionary War to the Civil War,WWI + II,Korea,Vietnam (all Wars),+ Iraq. The US Soldier is the same. Adolph Hitler said it best in WW II when witnessing the Battle of the Ardennes(Forrest?).Hitler said he saw the "Perfect Soldier"fighting today. The "Perfect Warrior" was the American Soldier fighting his German Soldiers. Damn big COMPLIMENT from an enemy.
The ? is not the soldier,but the leadership of them. Intelligence,truth + honesty all matter IMO-if there is a ? of any of these  missing-there should be ?? asked.
[right][post="119662"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I agree, jet. This was the point of my original post: to counterpose the behavior of our troops with that of their leadership. Seeing that video pissed me off and made me proud at the same time. That grunt took a hit, captured his enemy, and gave him medical treatment. Just the way it's supposed to be.

Doctorow's piece goes right to the core of the problem with the primary civilian leadership of this debacle: they are unfeeling, amoral, and inept. Don't you guys get it? Wolfowitz doesn't care how many of you die (see his testimony in Congress before he got promoted upward), Bush and Cheney don't care how many wounded there are--see how they acted with the recent funding squabble for the VA.

BR; you keep wanting me to accept your premises on this winning and losing business. I don't and have explained why in other posts. We've already lost, according to my premises; but like a dazed boxer in the ring, that hasn't quite sunk in yet to all of the population. But it will.

Guest BlackJesus
[i][b]Coolie is now drawing comparisons of Saddams boxed in , sanctioned, doesn't have an air force or navy to its name, 60,000 troop army

to the 2 million plus, Blitzkreig of Germany.... My head has exploded, Yeah send that one on to FoxNews[/b][/i]

[i][b]the real lesson of History here is that after a war you should not impose sanctions which kill the civilians and allow dictators to rule.... Hitler doesn't rise to power if the Winners of WWI don't kick Germany when they are down.[/b][/i]

Archived