Buying a 65" TV. Need advice....

westside bengal

It's time to send the 2006 55" Sony rear projection LCD to Goodwill.  We are going to purchase a 65" TV this time around.  Most every set is 4K so I will go with that.

We used to rent a lot of DVDs but since most everything Hollywood puts out now is trash we mainly watch cable.  For me it's the Walking Dead and golf and football.

For my wife it's whatever is on including Groundhog Day for the 40 millionth time.  We do have Amazon Prime and have started to streaming and will start doing that more.

I really do not understand the importance of HDR, back and edge lighting, motion rate, or some of the other parameters advertised.

For a beginning discussion point we have looked at:

Sony XBR65X850E and XBR65X900E

Samsung MU8000

Vizio  M65

Any of you folks into this stuff and willing to offer any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

I recently got a new 55" LG from Costco that I am very happy with.  Ironically, I just finished their survey and responded "yes" in "would you recommend this to a friend".  Really like the color and sharpness of the picture and it was easy to set up and get running.  And LG is a reputable product.  I also got the extra 3 years of warranty and know that that sort of thing is borderline rip off and pure profit for the store but thought it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  And I have spent $30 on stupider things. Was warned against cheap off brand Chinese imports that shit the bed quickly and no tech support or parts ... cost more to repair than a new one.

I also had my "old" Panasonic plasma repaired since they no longer make plasma TVs.  Worth the $$ because its great for watching Bengals football.

Good luck and hope you have it up and running by 1:00 Sunday.

15 hours ago, westside bengal said:

It's time to send the 2006 55" Sony rear projection LCD to Goodwill.  We are going to purchase a 65" TV this time around.  Most every set is 4K so I will go with that.

We used to rent a lot of DVDs but since most everything Hollywood puts out now is trash we mainly watch cable.  For me it's the Walking Dead and golf and football.

For my wife it's whatever is on including Groundhog Day for the 40 millionth time.  We do have Amazon Prime and have started to streaming and will start doing that more.

I really do not understand the importance of HDR, back and edge lighting, motion rate, or some of the other parameters advertised.

For a beginning discussion point we have looked at:

Sony XBR65X850E and XBR65X900E

Samsung MU8000

Vizio  M65

Any of you folks into this stuff and willing to offer any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I recently got a new 55" LG from Costco that I am very happy with.  Ironically, I just finished their survey and responded "yes" in "would you recommend this to a friend".  Really like the color and sharpness of the picture and it was easy to set up and get running.  And LG is a reputable product.  I also got the extra 3 years of warranty and know that that sort of thing is borderline rip off and pure profit for the store but thought it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  And I have spent $30 on stupider things. Was warned against cheap off brand Chinese imports that shit the bed quickly and no tech support or parts ... cost more to repair than a new one.

I also had my "old" Panasonic plasma repaired since they no longer make plasma TVs.  Worth the $$ because its great for watching Bengals football.

Good luck and hope you have it up and running by 1:00 Sunday.

Thanks for the advice. We still have a plasma in another room and they are great tv's.  We have Sam's closest to us and have been looking there.  When we go and look all the tv's look great to my old eyes.  No matter the brand I cannot see much difference between their Model A or Model B or Model C.  So I worry that I am paying for features I will never use or see when I bring it home and hook it up to the cable box.

Thanks again. 

Archived