Calling out the world!

Storm

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Beaker' date='Sep 1 2005, 12:43 AM']All I know is that if someone gives me a 5 day warning that my house and family are in iminent danger, Im finding a way out. If I dont have money, Im holding my wife's hand and carrying my little girl as we walk out. Equal blame goes to the stupidity of those who stay. Personal accountability for your actions is too often overlooked.

If there are shut ins with no family or friends to help them evacuate, those are the people the local govt has to help find a way out. All able bodied people have to find whatever means possible, provided or otherwise.
[right][post="139691"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i agree w/ this post and kitkats previous post...

i was talking to some other people where i work, and i was like "they knew a huge storm was on their way for almost a week and the people that are still there are idiots...

but they looked at me like i was a cold hearted bastard... they're like "but alot of these people are poor as hell"...

i looked at all of them, i said "i didn't realize you needed money to walk"...

don't get me wrong, i am extremely hurt that these people are going through what they are, but i equate them w/ smokers w/ cancer... i feel for them, but you knew it was coming...

when you live 12 feet under sea level, and you know that a storm is coming that will innilate your city, and that the levees wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of the lake/river that SURROUNDS you, you better get the fuck out of there.... its called common sense...

Bad planning and corruption.

Like the terrible floods on the Mississippi some years ago, much of what happened with New Orleans levees could have been minimized a great deal if the pols had funded infrastructure programs that had been designed and ready to build.

In Louisiana's case, much of the money that was appropriated apparently ended up in the pockets of the remnants of the Long/Edwards corrupt machine.

Civilization is a pretty thin veneer and it pays to make the necessary investments to thicken it up.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 1 2005, 01:08 PM']Bad planning and corruption.

Like the terrible floods on the Mississippi some years ago, much of what happened with New Orleans levees could have been minimized a great deal if the pols had funded infrastructure programs that had been designed and ready to build.

In Louisiana's case, much of the money that was appropriated apparently ended up in the pockets of the remnants of the Long/Edwards corrupt machine.

Civilization is a pretty thin veneer and it pays to make the necessary investments to thicken it up.
[right][post="139944"][/post][/right][/quote]

i've heard a couple of arguements on lefty blogs that go somewhat w/ what your saying here... they say that the bush admin (its always their fault of course :rolleyes: ) cut funding to the N.O. project to strengthen the walls from being able to withstand a cat. 5 hurricane (up from a cat. 3, which is what it was able to withstand)...

problem w/ this is that they did upgrade one wall.... the same wall of the levee the gave in first... also, it would have taken 10-15 years to get the wall to wheer it needed to be...

don't get my post wrong though homer... i know you didn't blame this on bush, and you realize that this was corruption for years and years w/in the louisiana state gov't that should have realized that N.O. was in a soup bowl, w/ walls that couldn't take the worst case scenario... the scariest part of everything is this... they say that the worst case scenario just missed us b/c of a dry patch that made the hurricane a cat. 4 when it hit, and barely missed a direct hit w/ N.O.... their saying this could have/should have been worse...

but this is far from over... it will only get worse from here :( i feel bad for citizens of new orleans b/c the "shitty parts" of the city are making the whole city look like a bunch of thugs... who the hell shoots at a helicopter that is there to save lives?? this story honestly makes me sick to my stomach...

I have seen some of the bluster, but I haven't read anything specific yet about current admin underfunding, but in the context of their economics, it wouldn't surprise me.

The problem is the way we do economics, accepted by both the Republicrats and Demicans currently in office.

Now, perhaps you have a better idea of why I say there is an economics disaster coming on us real quick. We've gone through forty years or so of underfunding necessary investments, of looting our productive capacity, and of turning more and more towards a paper-economy (call it post-industrial or new economy or what you will.)

The [b]piper[/b] always get paid.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 1 2005, 01:55 PM']I have seen some of the bluster, but I haven't read anything specific yet about current admin underfunding, but in the context of their economics, it wouldn't surprise me.

The problem is the way we do economics, accepted by both the Republicrats and Demicans currently in office.

[b]Now, perhaps you have a better idea of why I say there is an economics disaster coming on us real quick.[/b] We've gone through forty years or so of underfunding necessary investments, of looting our productive capacity, and of turning more and more towards a paper-economy (call it post-industrial or new economy or what you will.)

The [b]piper[/b] always get paid.
[right][post="139992"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

i do.... i do....

at least our economy was in good shape before this catastrophe... maybe the silver lining can be opening up peoples eyes like mine, and hopefully we don't go through a recession b/c of this....

[quote name='bengalrick' date='Sep 1 2005, 01:57 PM']i do.... i do....
at least our economy was in good shape before this catastrophe... maybe the silver lining can be opening up peoples eyes like mine, and hopefully we don't go through a recession b/c of this....
[right][post="139995"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No, that's my point, the economy has been in bad shape for a long time, in terms of fundamentals. There have been any number of glosses that offer the appearance of a decent economy, but they're band-aids at best or misguided policies at worst.

Ask Stanley Wilson's Dealer what he thinks about the spread between short and long term bonds, particularly US Treasury notes.

[quote name='Beaker' date='Aug 30 2005, 10:14 AM']What was the secret signal for your dormant cell to become active BJ?
[right][post="138012"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Dark Secret Arab voice: Black?

Black Jesus: Yes?

Dark Secret Arab voice: Why don't you play some solitare?

Just coming over Reuters...And the first donor offer is..........

[quote]Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin says France wishes to donate upto two hundred mobile water cleaning units to aid the stricken victims of Hurrican Katrina in the city of New Orleans.

"This is a terrible tragedy. We have a reservoir of expertise in  health and humanitarian assistance," he said. "We want to be able to make all this available when circumstances allow."

The French based humanitarian organization, Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) is also standing by to fly into the region with medicinal aid, food supplies and clean water, subject to approval.

"At this time, we are still awaiting clearance from the American authorities," confirmed MSF spokesman Serge Gaitian.

Story Ends
Reuters[/quote]

Do you think they'd accept the offer?

And on the TV here, they're saying that Ontario Hydro up here in Canada is donating electricity from its grid to get the Southern States back on line.

Actually, there seems to be a real bit of confusion with letting people into the area:

[url="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20050831_katrina_template_050831?s_name=&no_ads="]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...s_name=&no_ads=[/url]

[quote]A specialized urban search and rescue team from Vancouver will be joining the rescue efforts in Louisiana in the wake of hurricane Katrina.

B.C. Solicitor General John Les said the province decided to send Vancouver Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) after officials in Louisiana asked for help.

"We're the first non-U.S.-based team to be requested," said Les. "They're going to be helping as many people as they can."

CTV Vancouver has learned that the team will board a plane Wednesday night heading to Lafayette, Louisiana, where local authorities will direct them to devastated areas.

Tim Armstrong, USAR's task force leader, said he's spoken with Louisiana authorities.

"The last conversation that I had with them, they're in a bit of a crisis management mode trying to figure out where the need for teams is, and where the resources are going to be best used," he said.

The 45- person team -- which was dispatched to Southeast Asia after the Boxing Day tsunami -- is equipped to provide emergency room doctors, building engineers and swift water rescue personnel.

Earlier Wednesday, Canadian officials said they're prepared to send whatever type of aid the U.S. needs.

"We want to reassure the president and the people of the United States that we are their best friends and their neighbour, and we will be there to help them in a situation that truly is without parallel in our country or theirs,'' said Deputy Prime Minister Anne McLellan.

She added that on Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Human Health Services contacted Canada's public health agency, asking for an inventory of emergency supplies that Canada could send at a moment's notice.

That inventory was completed Wednesday.

McLellan said U.S. officials are still assessing their needs, but Canada will be prepared to send everything from water purification systems to the Canadian military's Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART).

Prime Minister Paul Martin was set to speak by phone Thursday with U.S. President George W. Bush about what Canada can do to help the reconstruction effort.

Elsewhere in Canada, Ontario is looking into whether its medical and hydro workers can help, and Premier Dalton McGuinty spoke to the U.S. ambassador to Canada asking what the province can do.

"We stand at the ready to assist,'' said McGuinty, who added Ontario could help with its Emergency Medical Assistance Team.

Relief efforts by Canadians in disaster zones are largely organized in Ottawa, but McGuinty said he wants to know from Ambassador David Wilkins what specifically Ontario can do.

Manitoba Premier Gary Doer said officials with Manitoba Hydro have also offered to send staff to the affected areas to help restore power.

Canadian Red Cross spokesperson Suzanne Charest said lists of volunteers experienced in large-scale disasters were being assembled.

"If you look at the impact of hurricane Katrina, we'll be sending well over 100 Canadian Red Cross workers in the coming weeks,'' Charest told Canadian Press from Ottawa.

Most of the volunteers will help spell off exhausted American relief workers in the coming months, she said.[/quote]

But then, the team wasn't let in by homeland security?

[quote]On tonight's news, CTV (Canadian TV) said that support was offered from Canada. Planes are ready to load with food and medical supplies and a system called "DART" which can provide fresh water and medical supplies is standing by. Department of Homeland Security as well as other U.S. agencies were contacted by the Canadian government requesting permission to provide help. Despite this contact, Canada has not been allowed to fly supplies and personnel to the areas hit by Katrina. So, everything here is grounded. Prime Minister Paul Martin is reportedly trying to speak to President Bush tonight or tomorrow to ask him why the U.S. federal government will not allow aid from Canada into Louisiana and Mississippi. That said, the Canadian Red Cross is reportedly allowed into the area.

Canadian agencies are saying that foreign aid is probably not being permitted into Louisiana and Mississippi because of "mass confusion" at the U.S. federal level in the wake of the storm.[/quote]

I imagine its a complete nightmare down there at the beauracratic level as well as on the streets. For the people's sake, they should get it figured out.

[url="http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-09-02T142844Z_01_BAU250357_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-ENERGY-KATRINA-EUROPE-WRAP-DC.XML"]http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle....OPE-WRAP-DC.XML[/url]

[quote]By Caroline Jacobs

PARIS (Reuters) - Europe will dip into its emergency stocks of gasoline to help the United States through an energy crisis that began when Hurricane Katrina smashed into Gulf coast refiners, EU governments said on Friday.

Spain and Germany said they were ready and able to send fuel across the Atlantic in an operation coordinated by the West's energy watchdog, the International Energy Agency. A U.S. government official confirmed Washington had asked for help and said most of the gasoline would come from Europe.

EU nations have watched in horror as the world's richest country struggles with the aftermath of Katrina. Thousands are feared dead and troops in the flooded city of New Orleans have been told to shoot-to-kill to crack down on looting.

Gasoline prices have soared by nearly a fifth over the past week and President George W. Bush has urged Americans to go easy on fuel. Unlike the IEA, the United States has only emergency reserves of crude and a small stockpile of heating oil.

"It's self-evident that we support the American bid," German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder told a news conference in Berlin.

But Europe's pledge of gasoline may carry a political price for Washington. Differences over trade and foreign policy have strained relations between the United States and some EU member states including Germany and France.

Schroeder expected a massive two million barrels per day of oil to be shipped to the United States over the next month. The United States has lost about one million bpd of gasoline output.

"We assume that would lead to there being sufficient energy reserves in the market and, second, we would wish the pressure on the prices of oil products to be lessened," Schroeder said.

Speaking at a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Wales, EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana said: "Whatever the United States asks for they will be given."

IEA TO MAKE FORMAL REQUEST FOR OIL

A Spanish official told Reuters the IEA had contacted Madrid on Thursday and indicated there would be a formal request for oil on Friday. Spain wanted a "balanced proposal" involving all IEA members - 26 industrialized nations including Japan  "We are waiting (for the IEA request) and I think we will tell them 'yes'," a spokesman at Spain's Industry Ministry said.

Crude oil prices have hit levels unseen in real terms since 1980 - the year of the Iran-Iraq war and a year after the Iranian revolution that choked off supply lines.

Prices fell by $1.67 a barrel to $67.80 on Friday on news that Europe was riding to the aid of the United States. Gasoline also eased.

But European oil will take at least 10 days to reach U.S. shores and tanker space is in short supply with many commercial ships already under charter and crossing the Atlantic.

The Paris-based IEA declined to confirm it would release oil to the United States. "We're still consulting with all our members and the damage assessment is still going on," an IEA spokeswoman said on Friday.

EU members Germany, France, Spain and Italy have substantial emergency reserves. The IEA last dipped into its emergency reserves in 1991 when a U.S.-led coalition ejected Iraqi troops from Kuwait. The agency, created after the 1973-74 oil crisis to protect consumers, must hold stocks of 90 days of net imports.

(Additional reporting by Juan Navarro and Emma Ross-Thomas in Madrid, Dave Graham in Berlin and Pieter Nielsen in Brussels)[/quote]

In no way to take away from this tragedy, but if any of you own oil shipping stocks currently like Frontline, Knightsbridge Tankers, OMI etc. Tanker lease rates are going through the roof, and is being reflected in the stock prices of those companies.

Guest BlackJesus
[i][b]With Bush at the Helm I am hoping that another Country decides to invade and give us Regime Change like we do everyone esle [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] [/b][/i]

[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Sep 2 2005, 10:30 PM'][i][b]With Bush at the Helm I am hoping that another Country decides to invade and give us Regime Change like we do everyone esle  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/23.gif[/img] [/b][/i]
[right][post="140808"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Then you could blame all the deaths and the failure to protect the brown people on Bush too, right?

Archived