Simon or Our Own

What would you rather do with the extra $6.5M?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What would you rather do with the extra $6.5M?

• Sign Corey Simon this year, and risk losing Levi and Eric and a Chad hold out.
    • Stay out of the Corey Simon and resign the O-line and Chad next year.

Guest Bengals1181
re-sign our players.

I just feel Simon would underachieve our expectations if he comes here. I also don't see DT as a weakness. I'd rather sign another secondary player.

Use the money now to re-sign Willie, Chad, Levi, and Steinbach.

[quote name='Claptonrocks' date='Aug 31 2005, 10:21 AM'][b]Why would we be upgrading chad's contract? didnt they do that in 2003?[/b]
Levi is starting to worry me... Steinbach Id resign...
[right][post="138997"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

There has been a LOT of talk about a potential holdout next year.

Guest Claptonrocks
Jason,
If the Bengals finish around 8-8 regardless of what Chad does the front office is not going to renegotiate his contract.....
If they go say 10-6 and make the playoffs they might feel they need to do that in order to make a run at the super bowl....

Guest happyrid
We will be able to both sign Corey Simon and start extending guys. We have no major free agents to resign next offseason. Will anyone on the free agent market next summer be a better fit for this team?

Also, as stated by Curnutte, we could sign him without any further cuts this year. If future cuts need to be made, a guy like simmons is a possibility after this season.

The Ravens have enough cap space to pay Jon Ogden, Jamal Lewis, Derrick Mason, Todd Heap, Ray Lewis, Samari Rolle, Chris McAllister and Terrell Suggs. I am pretty sure the Bengals would be able to sign this guy without having to get rid of half the roster.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Aug 31 2005, 08:27 AM']Isn't the salary cap expected to increase by a huge amount next year?
[right][post="139003"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I have read that the salary cap could be as high
as $100 million next year with the TV contracts
and stuff.

I think if the Bengals have the cap space NOW
they should use it to sign Simon and maybe
re-do some of our YOUNGER players contracts
mid-season.

Chad has to stop dropping so many balls and
get more yards after the catch before he can
demand a new deal. I also think that the Bengals
are WANTING Stacy Andrews to eventually take
Big Willies spot. Willie is getting long in the tooth
and is wanting to be paid top 5 money.

Yeah, but you gotta think about that situation. If the salary cap goes up to 100 million dollars, then the players that you already have are going to take advantage of that. Teams aren't going to be able to sign some big name free agent because they will have so many holdouts.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Aug 31 2005, 09:27 AM']Isn't the salary cap expected to increase by a huge amount next year?
[right][post="139003"][/post][/right][/quote]

:whistle:

i can't find the "all of the above" in the poll...

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Jason' date='Aug 31 2005, 10:11 AM']That was intentional.  This was an either/or.
[right][post="139052"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

if that was the case and the question, i would take the second option... but as i see it, the salary cap will be rising, and we should be able to sign at least chad and eric next year and probably willie too...

i was just being a smart ass.... for purposes of your poll, keep our team together though...

Guest CrazyIrishman5

Both! :headbang:
With Warrick, Kitna, Clemons( I think Clemons will be cut next year if not this year) and maybe JT coming off the book they will have enough for both.

We can sign Simon and still resign guys next year...

We can give CJ a million or two raise IF HE DESERVES it after this year... he hasn't proven yet that he deserves more than Harrison, TO, or Moss

Willie we already attempted to offer an extension to and he denied it... Enter in Stacey Andrews for a cheap price

Steinbach wont cost all the much to resign... guards usually get paid less anyways

As for Levi, I wouldnt mind offering him an extension and raise... but we did draft Kieft and other young O-Lineman in case guys demand too much money

Marvin isn't worrying about the future as much as we all are... he wants to win now, and he wants playmakers on defense. We have 6.5 million cap space, we can offer Simon a contract and worry about higher paid guys contracts (JT, Simmons, Clemmons...cutting or restructuring) in the offseason and worry about extending guys at a reasonable price in the future is well

the time is now...

Guest BengalsOwn
Keep in mind, and what I remembered a several hours ago, the salary cap is expected to skyrocket next year, due to the enormous TV contracts the NFL signed.

Guest BlackJesus
[i]I also predict that Simon would be the highest selling Bengals Jersey within 1 month....

they would sell like Lube at a Pride Parade
[/i]

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Aug 31 2005, 06:48 PM']Time to sign Simon. Worry about the rest after we go to the Super Bowl.
[right][post="139384"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

We still have to get the offense fixed.

Archived