MLB to change the playoff structure?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28673912/mlb-weighing-major-changes-postseason-including-growing-number-teams-14

MLB is considering a move in which each league would have three division winners and four wild-card teams making the postseason starting in 2022, sources said. The best team in the league would receive a bye into the division series. The two remaining division winners and the wild-card team with the best record of the four would each host all games of a best-of-three series in the opening round.

The potential changes were first reported by the New York Post.

Once the teams clinch and the regular season ends, the plan gets congested:

• The division winner with the second-best record would select its wild-card opponent from the three wild-card winners not hosting a series.

• The division winner with the worst record would then choose its opponent from the remaining two wild-card teams.

• The final matchup would pit the wild-card winner with the best record against the wild-card team not yet chosen.

All of the selections, sources said, would be unveiled live on television the Sunday night of the final regular-season games.

Fuck that.  That means slightly fewer than ONE-HALF (7) of the teams in each league (15) make the post-season.  

Time to fix this shit.

Get rid of the Central Divisions and distribute everybody back to the East and West

Contract Tampa and Arizona

Swap Milwakuee (to the AL) and Houston (to the NL), where they belong

End Interleague Play

Get rid of the Designated Hitter

Make them throw 4 pitches to intentionally walk a batter

Put Pete in Cooperstown

I agree with part of your list. 

I like interleague play, because it forces teams to visit every stadium every few years (like the NFL does).  

DUMP THE DH!  I will never forget seeing this in person, which adds to the evidence:

https://youtu.be/loYAcwyyFDY

Pete should be in Cooperstown.  

Not sure Arizona should be contracted, but Tampa should move.  I've been to that stadium.  It was odd being in Fla in the middle of summer and not needing shades to watch a game in the middle of the day.  One upside to that stadium, a ton of parking.  

• 3 weeks later...

Heres my thoughts..

Start each batter with a 2 snd 1 count.

So right away this next pitch had to be the pitchers Best pitch..

It will reduce the bullshit pitches and make the game quicker...

7 second clock on pitches..

It goes off ans automatic ball...

Tired of watching them pick their balls for extended time..get on with it..

Bribg back a baseball that isnt as hard as cwment.

Gof if you dont hit 30 homers your power rating sucks now...

• 1 month later...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2889154-report-mlb-could-realign-into-3-divisions-if-2020-season-restarts-after-hiatus?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

"The league could open in 10 to 12 states, or in as many as 20 home parks, sources say. Or it could start in Florida, Texas and Arizona, then take a break after say, five weeks, to reassess the viability of moving to other locations. Even states hit hardest by the virus — New York, Michigan, California — might welcome the return of baseball in empty parks, citing it as an example of life returning to normal."

Some states have begun to relax their stay-at-home guidelines, thus opening the door for some businesses to return on a limited basis.

The NBA announced Monday it would allow for teams to reopen their practice facilities no earlier than May 8, with specific restrictions in place. Teams would be prohibited from having more than four people in the facility at once, for instance.

Nightengale noted MLB's three-division plan is contingent on getting the green light from medical professionals and that widespread coronavirus testing will need to be available to the public.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29162217/owners-approve-mlb-season-proposal-plan-july-start-players-union-preps-weigh-it

Among the other vital points included in the proposal:

• An expansion of playoff teams from 10 to 14

• An 82-game season

• The use of home stadiums in areas that have local and state government approval

• A so-called spring training 2.0 that begins in June, with a season set for early July

• A universal designated hitter

• Geographical schedules, in which teams play only in-division opponents and interleague opponents in a similar area (i.e., American League Central teams play AL Central and National League Central teams.)

• A 30-man roster with a taxi squad that would have upward of 50 players available

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 6:24 AM, Go Skins said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29162217/owners-approve-mlb-season-proposal-plan-july-start-players-union-preps-weigh-it

Among the other vital points included in the proposal:

• An expansion of playoff teams from 10 to 14

• An 82-game season

• The use of home stadiums in areas that have local and state government approval

• A so-called spring training 2.0 that begins in June, with a season set for early July

• A universal designated hitter

• Geographical schedules, in which teams play only in-division opponents and interleague opponents in a similar area (i.e., American League Central teams play AL Central and National League Central teams.)

• A 30-man roster with a taxi squad that would have upward of 50 players available

With a now 60 game schedule. Id go to 4 man rotation..

Starters wont need but a game or two off..

I think this evens out the league more..

A hot start could really benefit lower level teams..

Home run leader may hit 18 ...

Who knows we may see a guy hit 380 or more..

• 3 weeks later...

Archived