Why Sheldon Rankins gives the Bengals' defense something they haven't had and sorely need

Kelsey Conway, Cincinnati Enquirer
Mon, Mar 18, 2024, 10:43 AM CDT·5 min read

It didn’t take long for defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins to reminisce on his three-sack performance against the Cincinnati Bengals and quarterback Joe Burrow last season. In fact, Cincinnati’s new defensive tackle didn’t stop there as he cited every performance he’s ever had against the Bengals.

Rankins has been so dominant against the Bengals’ offensive line; head coach Zac Taylor took to the podium to introduce Rankins with a beam of happiness. Rankins has recorded six sacks against the Bengals in his career so far.

“Unfortunately, we played against him a number of times over the years, which leads us to today,” Taylor said on Monday. “It’s a guy that we’ve always pinpointed would be a great fit for us, be able to help us to really win a lot of games. Really excited to get Sheldon in our building. He’s a great fit for what we’re trying to do defensively as a team, in the locker room.”

Sheldon Rankins contract with the Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals signed Rankins to a two-year deal worth $26 million after years of trying to court him in free agency. This time the money was “different” and that’s how the Bengals landed Rankins in free agency. After realizing the Bengals were likely to be outbid for DJ Reader’s services, Cincinnati’s front office came in with a strong offer to Rankins late in the night on March 14.

Rankins gives the Bengals something they sorely missed in 2023 and that is a game-wrecking interior pass rusher. Cincinnati’s coaching staff has seen what he can do to a game time after time and the hope is that Rankins will bring the same type of production while donning orange and black.

“Who Dey has been kind to me, whether they meant to be or not,” Rankins said.“They’ve been really kind to me. Now they’re kind to me now, I appreciate it.”

A look back at all of the times Sheldon Rankins has made the Bengals life a pain https://t.co/5Nww1kT1dY

— Kelsey Conway (@KelseyLConway) March 18, 2024

Sheldon Rankins' NFL career thus far

The former first-round pick in the 2016 NFL draft is among the league’s best at putting pressure on opposing quarterbacks when healthy. Rankins, 29, is coming off the second-most productive year of his career in terms of sacks with six in 2023.

“I just think being able to be healthy the last few years as really allowed me to just attack my craft and hone in on the things that I feel like I need to do to get better to really be the dominant player I know I can be,” Rankins said of how he’s been able to get better as the years pile up on him. “For me, I feel like when I watch last year, I had a really productive year but there is still so much more left for me to do. I feel like I am still ascending as a player.”

In his eight-year career thus far, Rankins has logged 29.5 sacks with eight sacks being the most he’s had in one season (2018). Rankins’ most productive game last year came against the Bengals when not only sacked Burrow three times, he recorded five hurries. His Pro Football Focus grade for that game was a 93.8 – his highest grade of the season.

Now a teammate of center Ted Karras and Burrow, Rankins joked about his in-game conversation with Cincinnati’s offensive line about their game plan against him. Rankins said the first thing he mentioned to Taylor when they first spoke was about why the Bengals didn’t adjust their protection plan against him as he dominated the interior of the Bengals’ offensive line.

I said, “Why the f--- did you not slide (protections)? And we just kind of laughed about it,” Rankins recalled. “You know, (Taylor) was like, ‘You know what, man, you know, we probably should have.’”

Why did Sheldon Rankins choose the Cincinnati Bengals?

Rankins had offers from other teams but the opportunity to make more money and play for a team he believes has everything it needs to win is why he chose the Bengals. For the Bengals to get back to playing in the postseason, they’ll need a strong year from Rankins. The loss of Reader as the anchor in the middle of the defensive line is a big one.

Cincinnati ranked No. 26 against the run (126.2) last season and finished No. 18 in total sacks (44) last season. The Bengals’ pass rush will consistent of a healthy Sam Hubbard, Trey Hendrickson, Myles Murphy, Joseph Ossai and now Rankins in the upcoming season. It’s worth noting that Hendrickson and Rankins were teammates in New Orleans for several years and remain close to this day.

The hope is with Rankins now in the fold, the Bengals’ defensive line ends up propelling the team to another Super Bowl run. In the end, that’s one of the reasons Rankins wanted to be in Cincinnati.

“I just felt like it culminated everything I was looking for at this point in my career,” he said. “Obviously, stability, a place that wants me and sees me, not only part of the next six-month plan but sees me (as) part of the future. And then the team that wants to win. A team that has everything right in front of it.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-sheldon-rankins-gives-bengals-154322410.html

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Arkansas Bengal said:
Kelsey Conway, Cincinnati Enquirer
Mon, Mar 18, 2024, 10:43 AM CDT·5 min read

A look back at all of the times Sheldon Rankins has made the Bengals life a pain https://t.co/5Nww1kT1dY

— Kelsey Conway (@

I said, “Why the f--- did you not slide (protections)? And we just kind of laughed about it,” Rankins recalled. “You know, (Taylor) was like, ‘You know what, man, you know, we probably should have.’”

Ahahahaa... Yeah. Our HC maybe has no business being an OC. Heheh. Good one, Sheldon.

:Hehehe-min:

• Upvote 2