Tyler Eifert says his shoulder and elbow are cleared 100 percent

Tyler Eifert says his shoulder and elbow are cleared 100 percent

FOX Sports

MAY 28, 2015 4:02p ET

090414-nl-Cincinnati-Bengals-Tyler-Eifer
Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert is healthy and ready to make an impact in his third NFL season.

Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert says he's 100 percent healthy and ready to go. 

Eifert, who dislocated his elbow in last year's season opener in Baltimore, is taking it slow at the start of the team's OTAs this week. He didn't take part in any 11-on-11 action, but did run routes and catch passes in other drills. 

"I was just happy to be out there running around in uniform with a helmet on and going through most of the drills,” Eifert said after Tuesday's workouts per the Dayton Daily News. “I’m in no rush. Everything is healthy, but we’re just taking it slow to begin with. I’ll be out there (for 11-on-11s) soon enough."

Eifert has good reason to take it easy at the outset of these workouts. He suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder while diving for a pass during last year's OTAs. The tight end was still feeling the effects of that injury up until a few weeks ago. 

You won't find him diving for balls anytime soon as a result. 

"It's your instinct [to dive], but it's just not worth it in practice," Eifert said.

Eifert decided against surgery on his shoulder last summer, but after injuring his elbow, he ended up having surgery on both body parts.

While his elbow was medically cleared, he still needed a visit to Dr. James Andrews to get clearance on his shoulder. That came last week. 

"My shoulder and elbow are cleared and 100 percent," Eifert said. "I’m trying to avoid contact and not diving for any balls like I did last year in OTAs, which is what got me hurt. We’ll get there. I’m just taking it one step at a time."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tyler-eifert-says-his-shoulder-and-elbow-are-cleared-100-percent-052815

Archived