My (brief) Memorial Day rant...

Homer_Rice

It may just be me, but it seems that as each year passes we pay less attention to the origins and meaning of Memorial Day. It has long been an excuse for companies to try to sell you something but I've noticed a little sophistic twist over the years since 9-11. Businesses have taken to celebrating live veterans (support our troops!) and tried to garner goodwill that way. For example, if you stop by a Kroger's this weekend, you'll likely hear a corporo-blurb about the USO and Memorial Day. Cynic that I am, I've come to the conclusion that this is partly because it's awfully hard for businesses to stick their paws into a dead person's wallet. So why not adjust the meaning of the holiday such that the focus is on living veterans who could, you know, be a good excuse to spend a buck or two?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for firing up the grill and searing a few nice steaks to mark the informal beginning of summertime. I don't even mind companies trying to boost sales a bit using the holiday as a means for that. I just wish that the context for all this included hewing closer to the meaning of the holiday itself and not some faux "let's celebrate our warriors because hey, celebrating warriors is good for business."

Anyhow: Thanks, Black People, for the origins of Memorial Day.

And take a few minutes to remember the real meaning of the Day.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_cQ2vqjW1I[/media]

Homer,

Thanks for sharing. It doesn't just bother you. Misunderstood days such as Memorial Day need the meaning retaught almost every single year. I don't see why, African Americans mentioned in the book summary, they can't be included. Percentage wise, it appears that the African Americans lost more than "White America.". I'll put the book on my list of things to read and digest. Thanks.

Archived