Marvin speaks: Draft, QB, Chad, and more

From bengals.com

Lewis ponders defense, QB

By GEOFF HOBSON
January 19, 2006

Posted: 8:45 p.m.

Lewis: Optimistic but not satisfied
Before heading to Mobile, Ala., next week to scout the Senior Bowl, head coach Marvin Lewis sat down Thursday with Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com to discuss the club’s quarterback situation in light of Carson Palmer’s reconstructive knee surgery, as well as other issues.

Indications are that the injuries to Palmer’s knee aren’t as severe as the knee injuries sustained last season by center Larry Moore and right tackle Adam Kieft. Still, Lewis acknowledged Palmer’s injury is serious, but also expressed confidence that Palmer is going to be his Opening Day quarterback.

He also takes a look at the club’s needs as it eyes the NFL Draft (April 29-30) and free agency, which begins March 3.

Lewis also discussed his team’s mental state following the loss of Palmer and the AFC Wild Card game to Pittsburgh in a devastating three-hour stretch, and denied last week’s story on profootballtalk.com that reported wide receiver Pro Bowl Chad Johnson had a physical altercation with Lewis and wide receivers coach Hue Jackson during halftime.

GH: Are you looking for a backup quarterback that might have to start the season because of Carson’s injury?
ML: Yeah, we’re going to go into it approaching it that way. I don’t feel like that’s the way it’s going to end up. But we are going to take the approach that we’re going to make sure we cover ourselves with Jon (Kitna) being a potential free agent at some point. We’ll make sure that if we don’t get Jon signed up between now and then, to understand that we’ll approach it that way. He’ll be a guy prepared and ready to go. He’ll get the majority of reps this spring football season, and get the chance to be ready to go.

GH: It sounds like you can’t solve it in the draft, but only with a veteran.
ML: It’s hard to solve that in the draft if you don’t do it in the first day.

GH: It’s hard to see you guys taking a quarterback in the first three rounds.
ML: I don’t think that guy would be real happy with us.

GH: How is Carson? I get the sense you think this is a serious knee injury, but one that should and can be overcome.
ML: It’s really cut and dried. Now it’s just a matter of him coming back and doing the things the right way, and we want to make sure he follows the proper protocols. This is going to be something he deals with a little bit differently all year because it does take time for these things to come back 100 percent. But as they go forward, they get their strength back in the knee, and obviously he’ll have every special thing known to mankind to help make him whole.

GH: How does he seem when you talk to him?
ML: He accepts the challenge mentally.

GH: Where is this team mentally coming out of the season? You mentioned in the postgame news conference following the playoff loss that you had to come of it as a team. Are you concerned about that?
ML: I think we came out if it as a team and understand what it takes to move forward. Guys need to just look at themselves and understand what they have to do to get better, and that there’s a lot of improvement that needs to be made. We were happy where things were, but we have a lot of improvement to be made.

GH: You and Chad say there wasn’t a fight at halftime.
ML: He has to learn to hold his emotions in check because at that point in the game we needed him to be better than he was in the first half, and not to be the same guy, and to be better. We had one of our best players get injured. So our whole team at that point needs on step up and play better.

GH: Did that show your youth? Unable to survive a big blow like that?
ML: We live in that kind of world. We live in a world of SportsCenter, and that’s the way it is. It’s something he and our team need to always learn from and it’s a good thing.

GH: Do you think you have to do anything more, or do you think you’ve done enough to respond?
ML: I don’t think I need to respond to some knucklehead’s rumor. It’s laughable for anyone to think that Chad would swing or push anybody. They really don’t know him. It is what it is. It’s over with. It’s done and we move forward.

GH: Some pundits have said that Chad is running the show.
ML: No, I don’t think Chad is running the show. I’m not worried about that or the control of our team.

GH: You’re going to be in Mobile, Ala., next week at the Senior Bowl to officially start looking to upgrade the roster. What are your needs?
ML: Through the offseason, I think we want to make sure we fill needs in the defensive front, secondary, wide receiver, tight end, offensive line. We can do that from guys that are currently here, later on with NFL free agents, and the draft.

GH: One observation would be that down the stretch it wasn’t the guys up front that hurt you, but the long plays you gave up in the back end.
ML: We gave up long plays. Sometimes it was safeties, sometimes it was corners, but we’re going to address our need in the secondary. No question about it.

GH: Would you go after a cornerback in free agency?
ML: They’re too pricey. They cost (big) money. I said the secondary in general. I didn’t say positions ... we allowed some explosive plays. It was either breakdowns in scheme, or breakdowns physically and mentally. We can’t have it. They’re not coached to do it that way, so we either get things corrected or find new players. This is the time of year we find new players.

GH: Do you expect starting free safety Madieu Williams (who missed the last 10 games with a shoulder injury) to be back for the spring camps?
ML: Yes.

GH: The defense played so well early, and then it all kind of fell apart in the last eight games.
ML: Yeah, up until the second half of the (second) Baltimore game when we had that big halftime lead (17-0), and it kind of continued from there. One is the maturity of some of the players, and secondly they have to continue to make plays during the stretch of the ball game, understand what your job is, and get it done.

GH: I know you don’t like strictly in-the-box safeties. Has your view changed after this season?
ML: You need guys to run and tackle. That’s what this game is all about. There are no big, stiff guys playing safety on any productive football team. If someone wants to bring me one and show me one, I’ll be glad to look at him.

GH: Is tackling the first thing you look for in a safety?
ML: He has to run, tackle, he’s got to have the range to cover. He has to do a bunch of things. Otherwise, you try to jerry rig the defense to get that guy out of position to do certain things.

GH: You mentioned wideout as a possibility in the draft. You seem set there.
ML: Wide receiver is a spot you always need good, athletic players. It think it’s a position that breeds competition. We’re fine where we are, but I think you always have to find guys to get better.

GH: Is there any way to keep all your guys on the offensive line or do you replenish it through the draft? (All five line starters have contracts up after the upcoming season.)
ML: We always replenish our entire team through the draft. I can’t look in a crystal ball and say how successful we might be signing one, two, three or five of our offensive linemen . But we’ll look to try and sign as many as we can. One thing that’s exciting is it's good to have guys in the last year of their contract. They’ve got a lot to play for, so we’ll all be in the same boat. They’re right with the coaches now. We have a whole lot to prove. I think that’s the way we operate every day as coaches, and sometimes a player gets put in that situation, and it comes out one way or the other. And I think that’s a good thing. It’s not a bad thing. We think our guys are mature enough to understand that. We’ll work to see what we can get done. It takes two sides to agree. If we don’t agree it’s not a slap in the face on anyone’s part.

GH: Do you have enough room under the salary cap to get one or two starters in free agency, or do you have to make a choice between extending some of the ’06 guys, or go after free agents, or can you do both?
ML: We’ll see. We have the cap room (to sign one or two starters). We have the first crack at our players, we’ll do what we can do to try and sign some of our guys before free agency. Once you get there, some things can change.

GH: Who do you have earmarked for your own players?
ML: They’re all earmarked. It’s a matter of what guys do and want to do, and kind of push their representation to get done.

GH: In the end, after all is said and done, it was a breakthrough year.
ML: We’ve got a nucleus of very young players that will be very good as they mature over time and they’ve learned how to win games they’re supposed to win. Now we’ve got to learn to win the games we’re not supposed to win and go win all the time.

GH: People took the Pittsburgh loss hard. Players. The city.
ML: I think the loss hurt everybody. When you lose in the playoffs, you fall off the cliff. There is no tomorrow. It’s not like the regular season, where there is a next week. Everybody, fans, were infected with it. Everybody was on board and right there, and when you lose something you believe in, it’s an emotional hit.

GH: With all the buzz, you’d think you were going into a nuclear winter instead of coming off a 11-5 division title.
ML: Things are good. They’re not where we want it to be. We’re not satisfied what so ever. But we’re a lot better than we were a year ago at this point.

Everytime I hear Marvin do an extended one-on-one, I'm grateful to have such an intelligent, calculating, and exacting man calling the shots on the field.

He dissed Boomer in that piece, put Rosenhaus on notice, and let everyone on the O-line know that we need to "do better" and that no one's job is safe.

He's always one step ahead, and until then comment after the playoff game about the QB injury and Ben, he's never said anything where emotion got in the way of his brain. That was the only "retraction" he's ever asked for, and truthfully, none of the fans even wanted to give it to him. We all knew it was true - Marvin just got caught up in the emotion like all of us did that night. Frankly, I loved what he said, and it showed his human side, letting us know he had a little feeling, and could show it...even if it's just going to be once every 3 years.

Marvin picks his spots, and leaves a trail golden footprints behind...

[quote]GH: Do you think you have to do anything more, or do you think you’ve done enough to respond?
ML: I don’t think I need to respond to some knucklehead’s rumor. It’s laughable for anyone to think that Chad would swing or push anybody. They really don’t know him. It is what it is. It’s over with. It’s done and we move forward.

GH: Some pundits have said that Chad is running the show.
ML: No, I don’t think Chad is running the show. I’m not worried about that or the control of our team.[/quote]

Thats all I need to know, now hopefully some can stop crucifiying Chad and put it behind us.

[quote]GH: You’re going to be in Mobile, Ala., next week at the Senior Bowl to officially start looking to upgrade the roster. What are your needs?
ML: Through the offseason, I think we want to make sure we fill needs in the defensive front, secondary, wide receiver, tight end, offensive line. We can do that from guys that are currently here, later on with NFL free agents, and the draft.[/quote]

WR??? :blink:

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Kool Keith' post='206724' date='Jan 20 2006, 03:38 PM']He dissed Boomer in that piece, put Rosenhaus on notice, and let everyone on the O-line know that we need to "do better" and that no one's job is safe.[/quote]

when did he mention Boomer or Rosenhaus?

If Marvin was as pissed as us fans, it took him that long to cool down before he talked to the media.I just don't see Marvin letting our defense struggle like it did next season.He also pointed out that a safety would be to expensive in free agency.
(GH: Would you go after a cornerback in free agency?
ML: They’re too pricey. They cost (big) money. I said the secondary in general. I didn’t say positions ... we allowed some explosive plays. It was either breakdowns in scheme, or breakdowns physically and mentally. We can’t have it. They’re not coached to do it that way, so we either get things corrected or find new players. This is the time of year we find new players)

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='206741' date='Jan 20 2006, 04:28 PM'][quote name='Kool Keith' post='206724' date='Jan 20 2006, 03:38 PM']
He dissed Boomer in that piece, put Rosenhaus on notice, and let everyone on the O-line know that we need to "do better" and that no one's job is safe.[/quote]

[/quote]

You have to read...[i][b]closely[/b][/i].

It's there.

[quote name='Kool Keith' post='206775' date='Jan 20 2006, 05:43 PM'][quote name='Bengals1181' post='206741' date='Jan 20 2006, 04:28 PM']
[quote name='Kool Keith' post='206724' date='Jan 20 2006, 03:38 PM']
He dissed Boomer in that piece, put Rosenhaus on notice, and let everyone on the O-line know that we need to "do better" and that no one's job is safe.[/quote]

[/quote]

You have to read...[i][b]closely[/b][/i].

It's there.
[/quote]

If you're referring to the "knucklehead" comment, I think he was referring to Mike Florio, the Profootballtalk.com guy, not Boomer.

If not, I missed it too. :mellow:

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='206735' date='Jan 20 2006, 04:11 PM'][quote]GH: You’re going to be in Mobile, Ala., next week at the Senior Bowl to officially start looking to upgrade the roster. What are your needs?
ML: Through the offseason, I think we want to make sure we fill needs in the defensive front, secondary, wide receiver, tight end, offensive line. We can do that from guys that are currently here, later on with NFL free agents, and the draft.[/quote]

[/quote]

Walters is a FA, and Washington is a FA. He may be preparing for the worst with Chad Johnson.

Without great WR's, our team is lucky to be .500.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='206791' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:30 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='206735' date='Jan 20 2006, 04:11 PM']
[quote]GH: You’re going to be in Mobile, Ala., next week at the Senior Bowl to officially start looking to upgrade the roster. What are your needs?

[/quote]

Walters is a FA, and Washington is a FA. He may be preparing for the worst with Chad Johnson.

[/quote]
And without our starting QB, our team would be lucky to be .250

[quote name='Bunghole' post='206793' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:32 PM'][quote name='BengalsOwn' post='206791' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:30 PM']
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='206735' date='Jan 20 2006, 04:11 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]
And without our starting QB, our team would be lucky to be .250
[/quote]

Went .500 w/ Kitna starting every snap 2 years ago.

Just sayin.

Guest BlackJesus
[b]the only time Marvin let emotion get to him was after Carsons injury when he pointed out the "true" reality that Ben Raglessgina is a two bit whiny bitch ....

I think that fire was needed for us Fans however and only fueled what will become the next biggest Rivalry in the NFL ....

the NFL is crazy if both Cincy-Pitt games next year are not national games with one on Monday night and the other a sun night game [/b]

Guest Master Shake

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='206791' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:30 PM'][quote name='Jamie_B' post='206735' date='Jan 20 2006, 04:11 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Even if ALL that happened, Henry, Housh, Tab, and Broussard would be a good enough quartet that WR still wouldn't be high on the list of priorities.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='206899' date='Jan 20 2006, 07:39 PM'][quote name='BengalsOwn' post='206791' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:30 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Also, WRs make great special team gunners and return men.
Even if ALL that happened, Henry, Housh, Tab, and Broussard would be a good enough quartet that WR still wouldn't be high on the list of priorities.
[/quote]

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='Master Shake' post='206899' date='Jan 20 2006, 10:39 PM'][quote name='BengalsOwn' post='206791' date='Jan 20 2006, 06:30 PM']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No, WR would be the #1 priority if that was our WR corps...

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='207227' date='Jan 22 2006, 01:27 PM'][quote name='Master Shake' post='206899' date='Jan 20 2006, 10:39 PM']
Even if ALL that happened, Henry, Housh, Tab, and Broussard would be a good enough quartet that WR still wouldn't be high on the list of priorities.[/quote]

No, WR would be the #1 priority if that was our WR corps...
[/quote]

Agree with Own on that one...I love TJ, but I think he would be exposed if he had to be the #1, kind of like Peerless Price getting a huge contract after a huge year as the Bills #2 and doing NOTHING in Atlanta, except let a little white kid named Finneran be that team's best WR...Henry shows flashes of greatness and then he crashes to Earth...Tab has done well as a KR and knows how to run the shovel pass out of the backfield, but can he catch passes on 3rd Down?...Broussard did absolutely NOTHING this past Preseason...NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING...I hope people don't base their opinion just on what he did during the 2004 Preseason when he had a couple good punt returns...I think he's too small for a WR not named Steve Smith

If that was the scenario, guaranteed WR would be drafted either 1st or 2nd Round

Archived