Bengals look to upgrade at TE; Browns seek pass rusher

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='210613' date='Jan 30 2006, 07:21 AM'][quote name='CrazyIrishman5' post='210611' date='Jan 30 2006, 07:19 AM']
[quote name='oldschooler' post='210607' date='Jan 30 2006, 06:28 AM']
[quote] The San Francisco 49ers, who need help everywhere, are interested in WR Kelley Washington and CB Tory James should the Bengals dangle them as trade bait.[/quote]

For God`s sake....DANGLE THEM !!!!!!!
[/quote]
Trade them both to the 49ers for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick!
[/quote]

I'd be happy with a 3rd and a 4th![/quote]

A 3rd and a 4th at least seem conceivable...I doubt we could do any better than that. I'm already for signing Woodson to take Tory's place, so that would make me ecstatic.

Still...I never believe trade rumours...Until AFTER they actually happen. The cap just stifles trading, and it seems too hard to find a win-win for both teams.

I can at least buy that someone signing/trading for KW could be a win-win, though...Because I think he is worth a 3rd rounder to just about anyone other than the Bengals.

BZ

[quote name='Claptonrocks' post='210609' date='Jan 30 2006, 07:16 AM']Second rounder for Schaub...Bengals may have stiff competition for Schaub with the Jets Phins or Saints looking at that trade as well.....
The Titans may want to trade Billy Volek if they draft Vince Young...[/quote]

Voleck is a free agent...

[url="http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=29093"]http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=29093[/url]

[quote name='mongoloido' post='210644' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:51 AM'][quote name='BengalsOwn' post='210634' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:31 AM']
And it's is pretty fucking obvious that nobody will trade for him, and he will be cut.[/quote]

I don't put the odds of him getting cut much more than 50/50. James has lost a step, but a lot of his troubles this year came from having only KK and Ohalete as a safety net. Keep Madieu on his side of the field, and spell him with Ratliff from time to time, and I think James could still be an important part of our defense next year. I think Tory can still play, and I think Ratliff still has a lot to learn from him...

So, yeah. I think it's a toss up for the Bengals with Tory. I think we'd be more than happy to trade him, but I don't think we'll just give him away. The 49ers had a secondary entirely made up of 1st or 2nd year guys last year. They're hosed if they don't get someone who can teach them how to play the position before they wither and die.
[/quote]

Excellent post Mongo.

Everyone here was on Tory's jock at the end of the '04 season, and now it's changed to the other side of the field. He suffered a little because he was being asked to play 1/3 of the field, ALL GAME LONG, for 3/4's of the season. Give him a little REAL safety help, and he'll be fine. Not a shutdown corner, but he will be worth the money he's paid (right in line across the league). We're not going to get a better corner in FA at equal or less $$$, and a rookie who can step in and fill his shoes is not in our draft position.

You guys are ready to burn someone at the stake, it seems...

[quote name='mongoloido' post='210644' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:51 AM']I don't put the odds of him getting cut much more than 50/50. James has lost a step, but a lot of his troubles this year came from having only KK and Ohalete as a safety net. Keep Madieu on his side of the field, and spell him with Ratliff from time to time, and I think James could still be an important part of our defense next year. I think Tory can still play, and I think Ratliff still has a lot to learn from him...

So, yeah. I think it's a toss up for the Bengals with Tory. I think we'd be more than happy to trade him, but I don't think we'll just give him away. The 49ers had a secondary entirely made up of 1st or 2nd year guys last year. They're hosed if they don't get someone who can teach them how to play the position before they wither and die.[/quote]
Agreed. Madieu and another talented safety will make Tory much more effective. I actually like the idea of Ratliff (nickel) and Tory (CB) changing jobs at some point in the future, and mutually benefiting from eachothers talents.

Guest BengalsOwn

[quote name='schotzee' post='210648' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:06 AM'][quote name='mongoloido' post='210644' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:51 AM']
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='210634' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:31 AM']
And it's is pretty fucking obvious that nobody will trade for him, and he will be cut.[/quote]

I don't put the odds of him getting cut much more than 50/50. James has lost a step, but a lot of his troubles this year came from having only KK and Ohalete as a safety net. Keep Madieu on his side of the field, and spell him with Ratliff from time to time, and I think James could still be an important part of our defense next year. I think Tory can still play, and I think Ratliff still has a lot to learn from him...

So, yeah. I think it's a toss up for the Bengals with Tory. I think we'd be more than happy to trade him, but I don't think we'll just give him away. The 49ers had a secondary entirely made up of 1st or 2nd year guys last year. They're hosed if they don't get someone who can teach them how to play the position before they wither and die.
[/quote]
mongo,I think own's response was to the statement I made about TO.
[/quote]

bingo :thumbsup:

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='oldschooler' post='210649' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:11 AM'][quote name='BengalsOwn' post='210622' date='Jan 30 2006, 06:52 AM']
TRADES DON'T HAPPEN VERY OFTEN IN THE NFL...[/quote]

Portis for Bailey.

Ogunleye for a draft pick.

Moss for a player and a draft pick.

T.O. for a draft pick.

Corey Dillon for a draft pick.

Deltha O`Neal and a draft pick to move up in the 1st round.

Rickey Williams for an entire draft...then to the Dolphins
for a draft pick.

I`m just saying...

Anyway from what Ludwig says the 49`ers are showing interest.
It sure wouldn`t hurt to see what they`re offering.
Ecspecially considering that Tory will be playing out his last season
and Washington is a RFA...

I`d be happy with a 3rd and 4th round pick for them both.
[/quote]

Those are all pretty much stars that you can build a team around.

Kelley Washington and Tory James are not going to help a franchise very much...

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Kool Keith' post='210797' date='Jan 30 2006, 01:03 PM'][quote name='mongoloido' post='210644' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:51 AM']
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='210634' date='Jan 30 2006, 08:31 AM']

[/quote]

Excellent post Mongo.

Everyone here was on Tory's jock at the end of the '04 season, and now it's changed to the other side of the field. He suffered a little because he was being asked to play 1/3 of the field, ALL GAME LONG, for 3/4's of the season. Give him a little REAL safety help, and he'll be fine. Not a shutdown corner, but he will be worth the money he's paid (right in line across the league). We're not going to get a better corner in FA at equal or less $$$, and a rookie who can step in and fill his shoes is not in our draft position.

You guys are ready to burn someone at the stake, it seems...
[/quote]

Funny how 2 seasons change peoples opinions on a guy huh ?

I like Tory ...but he is going on his last season and he is 2
years older now.

If the Bengals can get a draft pick that helps them build
on the future...I`m all for it.

Guest BadassBengal
Um, we're not hatin on Tory, but the facts stand. He constantly gets burned, and he's not fast enough to be a starting CB, at least for our team, anymore.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='210817' date='Jan 30 2006, 02:25 PM'][quote name='oldschooler' post='210649' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:11 AM']
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='210622' date='Jan 30 2006, 06:52 AM']
TRADES DON'T HAPPEN VERY OFTEN IN THE NFL...[/quote]

Portis for Bailey.

Ogunleye for a draft pick.

Moss for a player and a draft pick.

T.O. for a draft pick.

Corey Dillon for a draft pick.

Deltha O`Neal and a draft pick to move up in the 1st round.

Rickey Williams for an entire draft...then to the Dolphins
for a draft pick.

I`m just saying...

Anyway from what Ludwig says the 49`ers are showing interest.
It sure wouldn`t hurt to see what they`re offering.
Ecspecially considering that Tory will be playing out his last season
and Washington is a RFA...

I`d be happy with a 3rd and 4th round pick for them both.
[/quote]

Those are all pretty much stars that you can build a team around.

Kelley Washington and Tory James are not going to help a franchise very much...
[/quote]

There`s been more trades for less big names.

I was just pointing out that trades do happen
when it benefits both teams.

And Chick Ludwig wrote that the 49`ers are intersted.
Why not put some stock into what he says ?

You sure put alot of stock into Mike Florio from PFT.com`s "rumors"...

I doubt Tory is going anywhere.. He may not have the speed to be a number 2 cb, but I'll warrant he could still be one of the best nickles in the league.

He has been losing speed for a couple years now. And I said last year that I didn't think he still had the speed a #2 needs, but he makes up for it with his saavy play.

Tory is the kind of guy you want on a team. A reasonably priced veteran who can help keep the young guys moving in the right direction, while still contributing on the field in the right situations..

Keep in mind though, that the 49ers 3rd rounder is nearly a late second rounder.. Its not like they are drafting near us at the end of the 3rd.... With what Marvin does, We could probably draft someone who turns out to be a first round talent

Archived