Updated NFLDraftCountdown 3 round Mock

[size=4]1 (24). [b]KAMERION WIMBLEY[/b] DE | Florida St. [/size]
The Bengals already boast one of the most explosive young offenses in the league so it is time they get the defense, which is Marvin Lewis' specialty, caught up to speed and a top pass rusher like Wimbley is just the ticket. This team is a classic case of how needs can change between the end of the season and the draft. After addressing two of their most pressing concerns at safety and defensive tackle in free agency the Bengals now have more leeway in terms of what direction they go with this choice and might not necessarily be locked into one or two positions. If the team ultimately chooses to make the switch to a 3-4 defense this pick will make even more sense since Wimbley would be an ideal outside linebacker in that scheme but even if they stay with a 4-3 they want to add an impact pass rusher outside. This is actually a little low for Kamerion Wimbley because there is a strong chance that he could go as high as #12 overall to Cleveland and at worst he is widely considered to be a Top 20 overall pick so to land him here would be a good value. With Matt Schobel moving on as a free agent and Reggie Kelly slated to hit the open market next offseason a premier tight end is needed as well so Marcedes Lewis and Leonard Pope could draw serious interest from Cincy here as well. One other option would be a versatile defensive back and someone like Donte Whitner, who could help out at both safety and cornerback, would be a great fit if he were still available at this point but even if he is gone there should be plenty of value left in the secondary if that is the route they ultimately wanted to go.

[b]Scouting Report[/b]
Height: 6-3 7/8 | Weight: 248 | 40-Time: 4.61

[b]Strengths:[/b]
Tremendous natural athlete...Fast and very quick with a burst...Can wreak havoc rushing the passer off the edge...Does an excellent job in pursuit and can close on the ball...Changes directions well...Very productive and stood out on a talented defense...Team player with top intangibles...Is also an excellent special teams prospect...Still has a lot of upside and hasn't reached his full potential.

[b]Weaknesses:[/b]
Undersized and lacks bulk...Needs to hit the weight room and get stronger...May have to change positions at the next level...Does not hold up at the point of attack...A liability against the run...Struggles to shed blockers...Is basically a one trick pony who relies solely on his speed...Needs to work on technique and make better use of his hands...Might only be a situational player in the pro ranks.

[b]Notes:[/b]
Could be a 3-4 outside linebacker...Entered college at only 210 lbs so he has done a good job of adding weight and has the frame to get bigger still...A classic 'tweener who a team will need to find the right role for...At the very least he should excel as a situational pass rusher and he could easily be a lot more.

[size=4]2 (55). [b]Leonard Pope[/b] TE | Georgia [/size]
Falls much further than anyone expected due to team needs and the depth at the position.

[b]Scouting Report[/b]
Height: 6-7 3/4 | Weight: 258 | 40-Time: 4.62

Has outstanding size and a large frame with long arms...Is very athletic...Excellent receiver with great hands...Can stretch a defense vertically...Can run after the catch a little...Tremendous leaper with great ball skills...Has good body control and will make the difficult catch...Knows how to use his size and has a knack for getting open...Gets off the line well and runs good routes...Has a lot of upside.

Can do a better job as a blocker but has the tools to improve in that area...Has good speed but it is not in the elite category...Needs some technique work...Can be more physical and show more of a mean streak, especially as a blocker...Got into some trouble as a youngster but by all accounts he turned himself around.

Has a career average of 18.1 yards per catch...A rare physical specimen who is a terror to match up against and can be a major force in the passing game...Just the type of dynamic weapon the pros are looking for in the position these days.

[size=4]3 (91). [b]Spencer Havner[/b] OLB | U.C.L.A. [/size]
Can play either inside or outside linebacker and will provide excellent depth at both spots.

[b]Scouting Report[/b]
Height: 6-3 3/8 | Weight: 242 | 40-Time: 4.72

Has excellent size and a big, solid frame...Good timed speed...Very productive and is always around the ball...Makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Smart with great instincts...Has a great motor and is very tough...Does a good job of sifting through traffic...Versatile and can play multipe positions...Excellent in coverage and has a knack for making the interception...Does a solid job against the run.

Has some durability questions and has dealt with knee and shoulder injuries...Is not a great natural athlete and looks a bit stiff...Does not always play up to his computer numbers...Is not a sure tackler...Really needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Has not been as physical as you'd like to see due to injuries...Might not really have the overall mentality you look for in a guy to play in the middle.

Could potentially play any of the three linebackers spots at the next level...The type who does everything well but doesn't stand out in any one area...At the very least he should be a valuable backup and special teams guy and probably more.

Link: [url="http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html"]http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html[/url]

I would rather have Dusty Dvoracek than Havner, but if we got the first 2, I'd cream myself.

Guest sigfox77
This would be awesome!! I dont see how Pope could fall that far but lets hope he does....maybe have Henry plant some dope on him before the draft

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' post='244063' date='Apr 5 2006, 02:54 PM']Sounds good to me.[/quote]
What, Jason creaming himself or the draft?

:tongue:

As for the draft(sorry about that, couldn't resist) I'm ok with it I guess. I like the first 2 picks alot. However, I would also like some d-line on the first day and/or some secondary. I wouldn't take 2 linebackers on the first day, as we already have a good set of linebackers.

I wouldn't be very happy with this draft. The picks in round 1 and 3 are both only good [size=6]"IF"[/size] we switch to a 3-4 defense, which probably is not going to happen. Pope would be a good pick in the second round, even though he has no blocking skills at all. Whimbley would be an alright first round pick, even though every draft scout has him projected as a 3-4 OLB, same with Havner. IMO a terrible draft for the Bengals, not addressing the secondary or defensive line at all.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='244069' date='Apr 5 2006, 04:15 PM'][quote name='BigDawgBengal' post='244063' date='Apr 5 2006, 02:54 PM']
Sounds good to me.[/quote]
What, Jason creaming himself or the draft?

:tongue:

As for the draft(sorry about that, couldn't resist) I'm ok with it I guess. I like the first 2 picks alot. However, I would also like some d-line on the first day and/or some secondary. I wouldn't take 2 linebackers on the first day, as we already have a good set of linebackers.
[/quote]

:lol: :lmao: [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='244074' date='Apr 5 2006, 04:21 PM']I wouldn't be very happy with this draft. The picks in round 1 and 3 are both only good [size=6]"IF"[/size] we switch to a 3-4 defense, which probably is not going to happen. Pope would be a good pick in the second round, even though he has no blocking skills at all. Whimbley would be an alright first round pick, even though every draft scout has him projected as a 3-4 OLB, same with Havner. IMO a terrible draft for the Bengals, not addressing the secondary or defensive line at all.[/quote]

For some reason, they (the royal THEY) consider anyone under 270 as an OLB now...I just don't buy it.

I think both Wimbley and Lawson have the frames to get up to 260-265 and can be speed DE's (Indy style)...So either one would be fine with me.

As for why Pollack DOES make for an OLB, I think the difference is all about tackling, smarts, mobility, leadership and versatility...He simply has more to offer than only being a rush end. I'm not sure Wimbley and Lawson can say the same...But I would accept either in the first round at #24.

BZ

Archived