Bengals | Team may look for backup quarterback in draft

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports if the Cincinnati Bengals can't trade for Detroit Lions QB Joey Harrington, they may draft a backup for QB Carson Palmer in the 2006 NFL Draft.

Once again i think even if we draft a qb that he wont be ready to start off the season for us......exspecially with the schedule we have in place for the first month or so. :onoudidnt: ....... what do you think is going to happen?

#1. I think Palmer will be able to start the season.

#2. If he can't, I think they would be willing to gamble 2 games on Krenzel. (KC and Cleveland)

#3. I think they may draft Charlie Whitehurst, or one of the higher mid-round QBs.

BZ

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='TheBZ' post='249720' date='Apr 14 2006, 08:47 PM']#1. I think Palmer will be able to start the season.

#2. If he can't, I think they would be willing to gamble 2 games on Krenzel. (KC and Cleveland)

#3. I think they may draft Charlie Whitehurst, or one of the higher mid-round QBs.

BZ[/quote]

agreed!

Guest Francisco d'Anconia
[quote name='TheBZ' post='249720' date='Apr 14 2006, 08:47 PM']#1. I think Palmer will be able to start the season.

BZ[/quote]

Krenzel!?!?!!!

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Francisco d'Anconia' post='249736' date='Apr 14 2006, 09:10 PM']Krenzel!?!?!!![/quote]

You're obviously not a Krenzel fan.

Any idea why they kept him over Bramlet? Bramlet wasn't going to be the next Tom Brady, but I thought he showed promise.

It doesn't matter whether we have Carson, Craig, Doug, Jon, Charlie, Ryan, or Jamie under center, we have to be able to stop teams from scoring. Any QB can have a career day against a defense that is looser than a $20 hooker on the corner. One of these days you aren't gonna outscore them, you will have to stop them. If we try the shootout way every time, how many points is enough? 30? 40? more?

I actually am starting to believe that Carson will be back for opening day, but I'm not scared away by the possibility of having someone other than Carson under center for the first couple of games. I agree with BengalBacker that Marvin saw something in Krenzel other than being a great clipboard holder. I always thought that Bramlet had the arm and savvy to be Carson's future backup, even in the mold of Billy Volek. He impressed me when he went to NFL Europe. Apparently, it wasn't good enough for Marvin, though.

The improvements that we have seen on defense with the additions of Sam and Dexter should make us better able to stop other teams, rather than hoping that they make a mistake.

Besides, we have to be able to play the grinders as well as the air raids. I don't want this team to end up like the Reds---all offense and terrible defense with an under-.500 record.

I think whatever QB we draft, they're going to be #3 for the first year or so and then become the long term #2. I think if Palmer doesn't start on opening day then it's virtually guaranteed that Krenzel will start. You need experience at QB in a situation like this. I suppose we could get Ingle Martin in the later rounds (5-6) at pretty good value. He has similar attributes to Palmer but less developed. He'd fit in nicely with our offense, and would be a sensible long term option.

Krenzel has had a year with Zampese and our offense.He didn't do bad in Chicago and he didn't have the offense we have.Our defense will be a lot better , which will help us stay in games and not make them a shot out like last year.We have a great offensive line and with Johnson and Johnson and Perry we should be able to run the hell out of the ball.Which will take the game off of Krenzel's shoulder.Why waste a pick on a QB?Krenzel will be just fine.

Archived