** THOSE WISE IN THE HEALTH INSURANCE GAME **

GoBengals

i have a job. the job offers health insurance, its cheaper to up my wifes health insurance to the super plus plan that covers 100% after deductible than pay two insurances and deal with submitting to both, etc.. so i went online and WAIVED my healthcare, they claim they form didnt submit and they never got it, so they AUTOMATICALLY sign me up for basic healthcare and will be deducting money from my paychecks starting next week.

1. is this even legal?

2. if i call the insurance company can i cancel through them? my work says i have to submit an appeal, i did that, and got an auto response that i should hear back in 45-60 BUSINESS DAYS, im not in the mood to pay $80 every check for two months for something i neither want or need.

advice?

Guest BengalBacker

Sounds fishy to me. Did you ever sign anything or fill out any paperwork?

I'm sure you don't want to cause trouble where you work, but it sounds like you're getting fucked. Maybe you should get a complete physical or something before they take you off just to get your money's worth. :)

I don't know how large the company you work for is, but it sounds like some bureaucratic bullshit that will be correctable once you talk to 5 or 6 different people. You can't legally have insurance deducted from your paycheck without your consent, and I've never heard of a timeframe of this length being required before the problem could be solved. I would recommend pushing the issue while treading lightly.

I ran into a huge problem with the old company I worked for, they required that you carry their free health carry coverage that was garbage, my wife covered me on her plan so I didn't think there was a problem until I was made aware that by law I had to use my company's plan as primary, the problem was that they had different providers, my primary coverage had a $25 co pay and was 80/20, my wifes was $10 co pay and 100% on most ailments but I couldn't use hers because the DR I had to see for mine didn't accept her coverage

the health care field is complete bullshit!

It think it all comes down to liability of your employer when providing insurnace, hence the auto-enroll. Just think if some dumbass out there didn't sign up for his companies insurance plan by mistake and got into some major accident and was not covered. Hell to pay for the company or provider.

CB brings up a good point. The company I work for covers 34,000+ employees so lots of red tape when it comes to benefits. We had to waive our insurance and 401K rights, if we didn't want them. They automatically sign you up for the lowest coverage/deductable and put 2% into your 401K.

Archived