Perry shelved; Braham, Jackson out Sunday

Perry shelved; Braham, Jackson out Sunday

By GEOFF HOBSON
September 20, 2006

12:55 p.m.

The worst fears were realized Wednesday when Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis ruled out center Rich Braham (knee), safety Dexter Jackson (ankle), and wide receiver Tab Perry (hip) for Sunday’s game in pissburgh. He also said Perry, the club’s kick returner, would be on crutches for “a few weeks,” and said recently activated rookie receiver Reggie McNeal could return kicks.

Lewis also said that left tackle Levi Jones is probable, wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh is questionable, and Eric Ghiaciuc replaces Braham. Wide receiver Antonio Chatman (groin) is doubtful and linebacker A.J. Nicholson is out.. . .

Head coach Marvin Lewis made sure Wednesday morning that his players saw the tape that enraged all of Bengaldom last January as stealers head coach Bill Cowher led his players in a "We-Dey," parody of the Bengals' "Who-Dey," chant following victories.

"Very rude," said wide receiver Chad Johnson, who saw it fofr the first time. "All coaches do it. That just got caught on tap."

Linebacker Brian Simmons, who did see it, said, "I didn't lose any sleep over it and special teams leader Marcus Wilkins observed, ""I never played for Bill Cowher, but he didn't seem to be that typle of coach to do something like that. But I'll remember that, I'll say that. To me it seems more like they know we're a team that can beat them."

For his part, Cowher told the Cincinnati media Wednesday pretty much what he said at the February scouting combine.

"Imitation is the highest form of flattery," Cowher said.

I'm feeling slight uneasy about not having DJax and Braham for this game now.......I'm nervous.

[quote name='Tigris' post='345024' date='Sep 20 2006, 01:29 PM']mcneal to return kicks... holy hell this could be exciting[/quote]

Or very, very bad.

He can do some incredible things with the ball in his hands, but I'm not convinced that he will hold onto it.

I'm guessing they will let him return kicks in practice and if he is fumbling or muffing many of them, we'll give the job to someone else. I don't know really who, though. I think Kenny Watson can return kicks. But obviously McNeal is a major upgrade from him in the speed category.

Giaciuc is gonna get his feet well and truely wet in this game. In hindsight probably not a bad thing really, he is our future at center. Better to do it now otherwise he'll never become our permanent starter.

Still makes me nervous though having him instead of Richie facing that stealers D-line.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='345035' date='Sep 20 2006, 01:35 PM']Giaciuc is gonna get his feet well and truely wet in this game. In hindsight probably not a bad thing really, he is our future at center. Better to do it now otherwise he'll never become our permanent starter.

Still makes me nervous though having him instead of Richie facing that stealers D-line.[/quote]

Well remember, Guy-check has already faced a better D-line.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Tigris' post='345024' date='Sep 20 2006, 01:29 PM']mcneal to return kicks... holy hell this could be exciting[/quote]

No big deal really. pissburgh is only going to kick off once.

id bet my life on us winning by at least 2 possessions if both teams were completely healthy, but with our more than questionable lineup against god knows who, im just willing to bet one of your lives on it. any takers?

i love showing them the video, hope he plays it before gametime.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='TheChosenOne' post='345040' date='Sep 20 2006, 01:37 PM']Well remember, Guy-check has already faced a better D-line.[/quote]

Yeah, he gave up a sack, and we lost when we couldn't convert on a crucial fourth and short. But he has a whole extra year of experience since then.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='345044' date='Sep 20 2006, 01:40 PM']id bet my life on us winning by at least 2 possessions if both teams were completely healthy, but with our more than questionable lineup against god knows who, im just willing to bet one of your lives on it. any takers?[/quote]

Don't forget, they are banged up too. Troy Polamalu was practically playing with one arm on Monday night and shying away from tackles-- you could tell something was wrong with him. Him being hurt is a huge blow to their defense. Wines Hard is still not 100% from the hamstring injury. And Toothlessberger has a million things wrong with him as usual.

Guest IndianaBengal
Speaking of the injury report. You now that this is killing Odell that he can't help out for the 3rd wk in a row when his fellow lb goes down. Except for the "odell is not sincere" audience here.

[quote name='CJBESTINAFC' post='345069' date='Sep 20 2006, 02:04 PM']Hey any word on Steeler injury report? Anyone have a link.[/quote]

Big Jen has a yeast infection.

Guest mongoloido
The rest of the article was about Goodell:

[quote]...COMMISH SPEAKS: New NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is going to make the final call on Chris Henry's legal problems, according to NFL vice executive Joe Browne, which means he's not facing an automatic suspension stemming from his two guilty pleas. But it does sound like Goodell is going to disciplne Henry in such fashion.

During his visit to Cincinnati on Wednesday, Goodell said players are held to high standards. "That's the good news and the bad news," said Goodell, who also said he believes in enforcing the rules.

Henry's case has yet to reach his desk, but he's expected to rule on it before the end of the season.[/quote]

Maybe I need glasses when reading between the lines, but it sounds to me like Goodell will come up with some sort of discipline for Henry, but is nice enough to wait until the rest of our receivers are healthy before allowing Henry's case to cross his desk... Or am I the only one reading it that way?

[quote name='mongoloido' post='345077' date='Sep 20 2006, 02:12 PM']The rest of the article was about Goodell:
Maybe I need glasses when reading between the lines, but it sounds to me like Goodell will come up with some sort of discipline for Henry, but is nice enough to wait until the rest of our receivers are healthy before allowing Henry's case to cross his desk... Or am I the only one reading it that way?[/quote]

Or he'll be a bitch and suspend Henry in the playoffs

Guest IndianaBengal
[quote name='mongoloido' post='345077' date='Sep 20 2006, 02:12 PM']The rest of the article was about Goodell:
Maybe I need glasses when reading between the lines, but it sounds to me like Goodell will come up with some sort of discipline for Henry, but is nice enough to wait until the rest of our receivers are healthy before allowing Henry's case to cross his desk... Or am I the only one reading it that way?[/quote]
if he gets a suspension, I recommend this stretch:

Nov 19: at NO
Nov 26: at Cleveland
Nov 30: Balt
Dec 10: Oak.

easiest stretch of the yr..

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Bengals view Cowher clip[/b][/size]
By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 20, 2006

CINCINNATI - Marvin Lewis showed his players an eye-catching video clip Wednesday morning before practice.
It was footage of stealers coach Bill Cowher mocking the Bengals' "Who Dey" chant, with his players in the locker room, after the stealers' playoff victory here last season.

"We don't need any motivation, but he said it, and you can't take it off tape; you can't erase it," said Bengals defensive tackle John Thornton. "Just like after we beat them up there, guys were wiping their shoes with the Terrible Towels, using it as a bib. It's give-and-take, but those guys, they took it a lot further than we did."

Thornton, an ex-West Virginia star, laughed and added: "You do things after a win that you normally wouldn't do, but he did it again after the Super Bowl win (at the stealers' victory parade). I actually went up to a basketball game to see West Virginia play there, and people were doing it, so I guess their whole city likes Cincinnati a lot. We have to take it as a sign of respect."

"My first time seeing it was this morning," said wide receiver Chad Johnson. "Coach played it for us, and, I don't know, it's just . very rude."[/quote]

[url="http://www.pissburghlive.com/x/pissburghtrib/s_471429.html"]http://www.pissburghlive.com/x/pissburghtrib/s_471429.html[/url]

Archived