[b]I know that Justin is a FA after this season and I say that we keep him. I believe that he is underrated and plays hard all of the time. I know we have to sign Madieu also but I have always liked Justin. He's a gamer. I also like the way that Marvin is taking a stand with Henry. He is not taking nor is any longer going to take any garbage from players that are not comporting themselves in a professional manner. This and the continued development of Ahmad are the reasons that I think Odell will not return to the Bengals...[/b]

[quote name='groiiidayton' post='371137' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:14 AM']I think Geathers is a free agent also so we need to sign him also.[/quote]

Im fairly sure Gathers is restricted. I wouldnt be supprised if we let Justin go for cap reasons and draft a DE #1.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='groiiidayton' post='371137' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:14 AM']I think Geathers is a free agent also so we need to sign him also.[/quote]

Geathers is just a restricted free agent. What will happen is, we will offer him a one year deal for like 2mil (or whatever the specific amount is). Then, if another team wanted to sign him, they would have to give us a 1st and a 3rd rounder. I doubt anyone would do that for Geathers. Hopefully, we will also try to negotiate a reasonable long term contract also.

Geathers is still really young, has a ton of physical ability and also seems to have the work ethic and professionalism that will help him reach his full potential. Hopefully he is a Bengal for a long time.

Guest schotzee
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='371145' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:23 AM']Im fairly sure Gathers is restricted. I wouldnt be supprised if we let Justin go for cap reasons and draft a DE #1.[/quote]

I agree.I think Justin will price himself out of our range.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='371150' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:28 AM'][b]If he wants to win a SB he should stay with us...[/b][/quote]

One option would be to franchise Smith and then try to trade him. I'm not sure what he would be worth. Last year Abraham got the Jets a first rounder. I doubt Smith is worth quite that much, but maybe a second rounder.

I'd be okay with signing him, though I'm not sure if it is worth the money. I'd also be okay with trading him and having an extra first day pick.

I think at most we put the 1st round compensation on Geathers. Not a 1st and 3rd, and maybe just the minimum compensation (4th rd). I don't know if other teams would give up a 4th rounder for Geathers, and even if they did, we'd have the opportunity to match.

[quote name='happyrid' post='371154' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:30 AM']One option would be to franchise Smith and then try to trade him. I'm not sure what he would be worth. Last year Abraham got the Jets a first rounder. I doubt Smith is worth quite that much, but maybe a second rounder.

I'd be okay with signing him, though I'm not sure if it is worth the money. I'd also be okay with trading him and having an extra first day pick.[/quote]
[i][b]I really think we gotta franchise Steinbach. Just look at what happened to Seattle's running game without their vaunted LG Steve Hutchinson. He is just too valuable to let go. I hope he has the sense to stay with the Bengals also because he is going to win a SB if he does. [/b][/i]

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='371161' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:34 AM'][i][b]I really think we gotta franchise Steinbach. Just look at what happened to Seattle's running game without their vaunted LG Steve Hutchinson. He is just too valuable to let go. I hope he has the sense to stay with the Bengals also because he is going to win a SB if he does. [/b][/i][/quote]

We drafted whitworth to replace him, tagging steiny would cost way too much money. Espessally for a guard, remember they dont have tags for T vs G the tag is for linemen.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='371162' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:36 AM']We drafted whitworth to replace him, tagging steiny would cost way too much money. Espessally for a guard, remember they dont have tags for T vs G the tag is for linemen.[/quote]
[i][b]I really like Whitworth but he is a different type of lineman than Steinbach. Can he play Guard as well as Steinbach??[/b][/i]

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='371166' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:38 AM'][i][b]I really like Whitworth but he is a different type of lineman than Steinbach. Can he play Guard as well as Steinbach??[/b][/i][/quote]

Im not sure he can pull as well, but hes played well at the spots he has played thus far. We can only throw around so much money, remember Marvin said we couldnt afford to keep all 3 of Willie, Eric, and Levi after bobbies deal got done. I hate to say it, but I will be very supprised if Steiny is back next year.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='371168' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:41 AM']Im not sure he can pull as well, but hes played well at the spots he has played thus far. We can only throw around so much money, remember Marvin said we couldnt afford to keep all 3 of Willie, Eric, and Levi after bobbies deal got done. I hate to say it, but I will be very supprised if Steiny is back next year.
[i][/quote]
[b]I gotta agree with you even though I want him to return...We'll be done with Odell I think and Tory also I would think. I know this frees up some money but not nearly enough...[/b][/i]

Guest ravonaf

[quote name='mongoloido' post='371131' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:06 AM']We need to keep him on an endless number of 1 year contracts. :) That'll keep his performance up.[/quote]

Exactly. Someone is going to be very upset when thier new 6 million dollar end only gets 5 sacks next year.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='371172' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:44 AM'][b]I gotta agree with you even though I want him to return...We'll be done with Odell I think and Tory also I would think. I know this frees up some money but not nearly enough...[/b][/i][/quote]

We will free up money from justin and tory, we might take a cap hit (though a minor one) on Odell and Possibly Pollack.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='371115' date='Oct 24 2006, 10:50 AM'][b]I know that Justin is a FA after this season and I say that we keep him. I believe that he is underrated and plays hard all of the time. I know we have to sign Madieu also but I have always liked Justin. He's a gamer. I also like the way that Marvin is taking a stand with Henry. He is not taking nor is any longer going to take any garbage from players that are not comporting themselves in a professional manner. This and the continued development of Ahmad are the reasons that I think Odell will not return to the Bengals...[/b][/quote]
fuck justin. i want a new DE. He isnt worth 5-7 million.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='371168' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:41 AM']Im not sure he can pull as well, but hes played well at the spots he has played thus far. We can only throw around so much money, remember Marvin said we couldnt afford to keep all 3 of Willie, Eric, and Levi after bobbies deal got done. I hate to say it, but I will be very supprised if Steiny is back next year.[/quote]
oh well, goodbye steiny :wave: Levi Jones can pull instead of steinbach if we want to run that play. Whitworth should be big enough to block off that side for anyone trying to cut thru. Id much rather use that money on extending people on the D, Madeiu/Deltha/Geathers than blowing it on another olineman. I am still not happy with the Willie contract, he better earn that shit.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='371177' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:48 AM']fuck justin. i want a new DE. He isnt worth 5-7 million.
oh well, goodbye steiny :wave: Levi Jones can pull instead of steinbach if we want to run that play. Whitworth should be big enough to block off that side for anyone trying to cut thru. Id much rather use that money on extending people on the D, Madeiu/Deltha/Geathers than blowing it on another olineman. I am still not happy with the Willie contract, he better earn that shit.[/quote]
[i][b]He did on Sunday[/b][/i]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='371180' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:50 AM'][i][b]He did on Sunday[/b][/i][/quote]
if u are referring to willie then i agree, but i fear 2 or 3 seasons from now he wont.

Guest schotzee

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='371175' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:45 AM']We will free up money from justin and tory, we might take a cap hit (though a minor one) on Odell and Possibly Pollack.[/quote]

This may be a dumb question,but I will ask anyway :D ?If you should lose a player to a permanently disabling injury,does it count against the cap?

[quote name='schotzee' post='371189' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:57 AM']This may be a dumb question,but I will ask anyway :D ?If you should lose a player to a permanently disabling injury,does it count against the cap?[/quote]

no idea, i was just assuming it would

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='371183' date='Oct 24 2006, 11:52 AM']if u are referring to willie then i agree, but i fear 2 or 3 seasons from now he wont.[/quote]
[i][b]I see Willie as another Willie Roaf or Will Shields.Shields is still playing at a high level at 35 and Roaf played well until he was 36.. I do not see why Big Willie cannot do the same..[/b][/i]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='371193' date='Oct 24 2006, 12:00 PM'][i][b]I see Willie as another Willie Roaf or Will Shields.Shields is still playing at a high level at 35 and Roaf played well until he was 36.. I do not see why Big Willie cannot do the same..[/b][/i][/quote]
willie has had many more injury problems and i think it is easier to play Guard than Tackle for a long time. Willies got back and knee problems. I dont see him lasting as long as the guys mentioned at a high level with his back issues, but i hope he does.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='371197' date='Oct 24 2006, 12:09 PM']willie has had many more injury problems and i think it is easier to play Guard than Tackle for a long time. Willies got back and knee problems. I dont see him lasting as long as the guys mentioned at a high level with his back issues, but i hope he does.[/quote]
[i][b]A lot of people were saying OL coach Paul Alexander was clueless before this past game. I think we'll be in good shape because he seems to find good young talented O Lineman. BTW...Does anyone know the word on Adam Kieft??. That dude is as big as Whitworth. ..If his knee heals up well maybe he can help us....[/b][/i]

Archived