Like to smoke when you drink?

BengalsFREAK

[quote name='oldschooler' post='381639' date='Nov 8 2006, 11:29 AM']Marriage is a legal binding of two people.
You have to go to court to end it. You have to go
to a public office and get a marriage liscence to even start it.

I don`t have to go get a liscence to buy a pack of cigarettes.

Smoking isn`t illegal, being gay isn`t illegal. But smoking at a public place
is now as illegal as two gays fucking on a table in a bar or resturant...[/quote]

I understand..you dont like homo's. Its o.k.

I was trying to stay away from the gay marriage stuff and just point out hypocrisy.

hell i even agreed w/ issue 5 being bullshit

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Ben' post='381642' date='Nov 8 2006, 10:34 AM']I understand..you dont like homo's. Its o.k.

I was trying to stay away from the gay marriage stuff and just point out hypocricy.
hell i even agreed w/ issue 5 being bullshit[/quote]

I don`t like homos ?
For your information, one of my best friends for over 30 years is a "homo".
I also know plenty of people that are gay. They are good people. But that
doesn`t mean I have to like or even accept what they do in their bedrooms.

I always looked at it like this... I don`t drink beer, but I can handle being around people that do,
as long as they don`t try to pour their beer down my throat. I don`t force my sexuality
on anyone. It doesn`t define me. And as long as others are the same, I don`t
have a problem with them.

I don`t like people that are assholes, and they run in every color, religion and sexual preference.
And yes, I said prefrence. But that`s an entirely different topic...

Guest CincyInDC
[quote name='oldschooler' post='381616' date='Nov 8 2006, 10:57 AM']This line just ran right through me.

I guess you`re so self centered that you only give a fuck about shit that affects you ?
My point at the beginning about business owners that pay taxes should be able to say
what they will allow in their business still stands. If you hate being around smoke so
much, then avoid the places that allow smoking. If a business owner hates smoking so
much, then ban it from your establishment. For people that don`t smoke telling business
owners they don`t have a right or choice to decide is beyond bullshit.[/quote]

Dude. If you think I'm an asshole, then take a number.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/37.gif[/img]

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='381689' date='Nov 8 2006, 11:30 AM']Dude. If you think I'm an asshole, then take a number.
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//37.gif[/img][/quote]

I think you saying you think it`s bullshit but don`t care about business owners being able to
choose if they won`t to allow smoking, because of your own selfish reasons, was an asshole remark.

But since you want to continue to be an asshole about it, I`ve got a number for you... :flip:

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Ben' post='381614' date='Nov 8 2006, 09:53 AM']/against issue 5[/quote]

Sorry Ben. I haven`t lived in Ohio for over 3 years now.
I didn`t know that issue 5 was the issue we were talking about.
I thought it had to do with Gay Marriage.

I just did a search and read about it...

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='381607' date='Nov 8 2006, 10:38 AM']I agree that it's bullshit, but my selfishness doesn't care that it's bullshit. Chalk it up to "life's not fair."[/quote]
Tell that to the Jews in Nazi Germany about to be put in a gas chamber because the facist mob mentality decided that they should die for being different... well, just chalk it up to "life's not fair".

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='381703' date='Nov 8 2006, 12:57 PM']Tell that to the Jews in Nazi Germany about to be put in a gas chamber because the facist mob mentality decided that they should die for being different... well, just chalk it up to "life's not fair".[/quote]

Dude, comparing the Holocaust to this new smoking law is utterly outrageous and despicable. :thumbsdown:

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='381780' date='Nov 8 2006, 02:44 PM']Just making a point about how these things can get out of hand very quickly if we're not careful. Sorry if I offended.[/quote]

I see where you were trying to go but forbidding smoking and murdering people because of their ethnicity are
two different things.

Maybe comparing this law to the Prohibition laws of the 1930's would have been better. ;)

Guest steggyD
I'll tell you all one thing. I live in NY. I am so glad that they have a law that keeps people from smoking inside of restaurants. Food and smoke should never be mixed together. Yeah, you can say that they have smoking areas, but trust me, smoking areas don't keep the smell and the smoke from spreading about.

I kinda don't understand why the law would pertain to bars, after all, you don't go to a bar for a nice clean quiet family outing. But then there would be some type of line to draw, that might be too tough to draw. Most bars have or are restaurants, so how do you decide if a place is more bar or more restaurant.

Just smoke outside anyway, or quit smoking. The shit's killing you, and it makes you smell bad.

[quote name='steggyD' post='381785' date='Nov 8 2006, 02:55 PM']I'll tell you all one thing. I live in NY. I am so glad that they have a law that keeps people from smoking inside of restaurants. Food and smoke should never be mixed together. Yeah, you can say that they have smoking areas, but trust me, smoking areas don't keep the smell and the smoke from spreading about.

I kinda don't understand why the law would pertain to bars, after all, you don't go to a bar for a nice clean quiet family outing. But then there would be some type of line to draw, that might be too tough to draw. Most bars have or are restaurants, so how do you decide if a place is more bar or more restaurant.

Just smoke outside anyway, or quit smoking. The shit's killing you, and it makes you smell bad.[/quote]

In centerville, smoking is banned unless a certain percentage of your sales are alcohol.

Guest steggyD
[quote name='Ben' post='381786' date='Nov 8 2006, 02:57 PM']In centerville, smoking is banned unless a certain percentage of your sales are alcohol.[/quote]
That's a good line. I like that policy.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='381789' date='Nov 8 2006, 03:02 PM']HA! You mean WAS! Now its banned entirely! The bar owners get no choice whatsoever as to whether they want to allow their customers to smoke or not![/quote]

Oh yeah! Snap!!!!! This is one reason i was against 5, it overwrites local laws.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='steggyD' post='381785' date='Nov 8 2006, 01:55 PM']quit [s]smoking[/s] drinking. The shit's killing you, and it makes you [s]smell bad[/s] stupid.[/quote]

Just changed a couple of words. Different when it pertains to you huh ?

Guest CincyInDC
[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='381703' date='Nov 8 2006, 12:57 PM']Tell that to the Jews in Nazi Germany about to be put in a gas chamber because the facist mob mentality decided that they should die for being different... well, just chalk it up to "life's not fair".[/quote]

damn, bro.

[quote]Dude, comparing the Holocaust to this new smoking law is utterly outrageous and despicable.

Just making a point about how these things can get out of hand very quickly if we're not careful. Sorry if I offended.[/quote]

ah..

[quote name='Hooky' post='381641' date='Nov 8 2006, 11:31 AM']Couldn't agree more. I don't smoke and I hate cigarette smoke, but I voted no on 4 and 5. This has nothing to do with smoking and everything to do with telling private business owners what to do. If it's about the smoke, don't go to the joint. How hard is it? This is just a matter of bossing people around.

It should be up to the owner to have as much or little smoke in his place as he wants. Why should it be up to voters that are never going to step foot in his place? If you voted yes, you're saying "I don't like smoke so everywhere i go should be free of it. I also don't like beer, so where ever i go, there shouldn't be any. I also don't like pizza, so I shouldn't have to smell it if I go to a restraunt to eat something else.

Or you voted yes because second hand smoke kills people. If you work in a bar and are afraid of dying from second hand smoke, don't work there. If you live with someone that's going to kill you with their smoke, don't let them smoke in the house or leave them. Trust me. Smoke is not inescapable.

They can dress this up as a health issue or a rights issue, but it's really a power thing. Is it really you're right as a voter to tell someone you're never going to meet how to run their business? Before you answer, private homes could be next on the list.[/quote]
Dammit dude... Issue 4 was more about giving businesses the right to choose and repealing laws that restrict it... why did you vote no?

Guest steggyD
[quote name='oldschooler' post='381806' date='Nov 8 2006, 03:45 PM']Just changed a couple of words. Different when it pertains to you huh ?[/quote]
I don't drink and drive. I mostly drink a couple beers around the house, it effects noone but myself. There is no second hand alcohol.

And it is not all the time. When people smoke, they smoke all the time. I, myself, don't drink all the time. And if someone is drinking all the time, hell, they need to stop.

Some beers on the weekend = good.

Many beers every day = bad.

There has been a statewide indoor smoking ban in Colorado since July. People did try ot put up a fight, but they can't win. There are too many sucessful stories re: smoking bans; NYC, CA, and many, many other states and cities. Business hasn't dropped off, there are more people in bars these days. The only draw back is cigarette butts littering the sidewalk.

[quote name='steggyD' post='381891' date='Nov 8 2006, 06:37 PM']I don't drink and drive. I mostly drink a couple beers around the house, it effects noone but myself. There is no second hand alcohol.

And it is not all the time. When people smoke, they smoke all the time. I, myself, don't drink all the time. And if someone is drinking all the time, hell, they need to stop.

Some beers on the weekend = good.

[size=5][b]Many beers every day = bad[/b].[/size][/quote]
You cite me some medical sources, sir!
(Otherwise, I am fucked.... :blush: )

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='steggyD' post='381891' date='Nov 8 2006, 05:37 PM']I don't drink and drive. I mostly drink a couple beers around the house, it effects noone but myself. There is no second hand alcohol.[/quote]

You don`t, many do though. Besides, alcohol kills people in other ways other than DUI`s.
Domestic violence just for one example. So in a way, there IS 2nd hand alcohol.

I don`t smoke in anyone`s car or house that doesn`t smoke.
And I wouldn`t smoke in anyone`s business that doesn`t allow it.
But now, they don`t have a choice but to not allow it...

Guest steggyD
Hey look. I was only suggesting that you quit smoking. Of course, I would never force anyone to, or suggest that someone should be forced to. But I do love the fact that I can go into any restaurant in this state of NY, and not have to worry about breathing in someone's smoke.

Archived