Post Game Interviews

Guest Gonzoid
[quote name='ravonaf' post='385258' date='Nov 12 2006, 10:06 PM']The defense needs to be rebuilt. Why would you keep the shity coach who built the shitty defense to begin with? What makes anyone think he could do a better job the second time around?[/quote]
Let's see, because said shitty coach has a Super Bowl ring and helped build one of the strongest defenses in the league. Because said shitty coach has brought the franchise back from the dead. Because said shitty coach has been able to lure free agents that before now wouldn't even consider the Bengals. I've got several more reasons and not one of them suggest dumping Marvin Lewis because of one (so far) mediocre season.

[quote name='ravonaf' post='385258' date='Nov 12 2006, 10:06 PM']You get one shot in this league. You fuck it up you are history.[/quote]
Tell that to Bill Belichick.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='Gonzoid' post='385454' date='Nov 13 2006, 08:30 AM']Let's see, because said shitty coach has a Super Bowl ring and helped build one of the strongest defenses in the league. Because said shitty coach has brought the franchise back from the dead. Because said shitty coach has been able to lure free agents that before now wouldn't even consider the Bengals. I've got several more reasons and not one of them suggest dumping Marvin Lewis because of one (so far) mediocre season.
Tell that to Bill Belichick.[/quote]

Our defensive Coach has a SB ring? Really? I would like to see it because this is the first time I've heard about it. Last I checked Marvin doesn't coach the defense. You might want to check your facts next time.

Guest Gonzoid
[quote name='ravonaf' post='385457' date='Nov 13 2006, 07:33 AM']Our defensive Coach has a SB ring? Really? I would like to see it because this is the first time I've heard about it. Last I checked Marvin doesn't coach the defense. You might want to check your facts next time.[/quote]
Considering you didn't say "defensive Coach", I assumed you were talking about Marvin (and you know who I was talking about anyway, yahoo).

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='Gonzoid' post='385458' date='Nov 13 2006, 08:38 AM']Considering you didn't say "defensive Coach", I assumed you were talking about Marvin (and you know who I was talking about anyway, yahoo).[/quote]

Just so we are on the same note. I'm talking about Chuck. This is his defense. He helped draft the players he's responsible for how horrible it is. Marvin is responsible for hiring Chuck but at this point he needs to realize he made a mistake and correct it. This season is fucked. If after the end of next season if our defense still sucks and this team is not turned around I'll be calling for Marvins head. 5 seasons is more than enough time to fix a team. Right now Marvins my man.

Guest Gonzoid
But I don't think the way to correct it is to jettison personnel this late in the season. I think it comes down to the players failing and not the DC or the coach.

Heads will most likely roll after the end of this season.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='Gonzoid' post='385463' date='Nov 13 2006, 08:49 AM']But I don't think the way to correct it is to jettison personnel this late in the season. I think it comes down to the players failing and not the DC or the coach.

Heads will most likely roll after the end of this season.[/quote]

Maybe, but the Coaches are the ones responsible for the players failing. At this point the players are what they are. The coaches mold and train this team. It would not suprise me at this point if we didn't win another game. Yes, our defense is that bad. If it's that bad you really have nothing to lose by firing Chuck. Yes, injuries have hurt. But nearly every one of those players on D where hand picked to play in a specific style of defense. This is a massive failing on the coaches part. Heads should role.

what i would like to see done is the dc fired today. if what jackson said is true and some of the players took a rest in the second half, bench their asses and just let the rookies play to see what you got, the season over, the way i see it,can it get any worst? i don't understand why people are trying to blame mike brown for this mess, he's given marvin a lot of leeway, a lot more than any coach the bengals had before got. i just wish marvin lewis would accept that he screwed up with that stupid ass brenehan. i still can't believe they gave up 42 points in a half there is no way to defend that. i guess we just have to hope for next year but by the time they get this defense better if they ever do, the offense will proably be ready to retire.

[quote name='ravonaf' post='385469' date='Nov 13 2006, 08:31 AM']Maybe, but the Coaches are the ones responsible for the players failing. At this point the players are what they are. The coaches mold and train this team. It would not suprise me at this point if we didn't win another game. Yes, our defense is that bad. If it's that bad you really have nothing to lose by firing Chuck. Yes, injuries have hurt. But nearly every one of those players on D where hand picked to play in a specific style of defense. This is a massive failing on the coaches part. Heads should role.[/quote]
[b]I agree the defense has to be re done..The players are not giving their all..no way no how...and they need to draft good solid playes on D not Odell Thurman's and Frostee Rucker's..where the heck is Frostee Rucker anyway?..How injured is he?...[/b]

Guest TheBeaverHunter
How can you not put the blame on Marvin???? Honestly is he not the head coach? Has he not had 4 years to turn this D around?

Look at what other Defensive Masterminds (like Marvin is supposed to be) have done.

Lovie Smith = 1st
Dick Lebeau (just wanted to throw him in here) = 11th
Romeo = 18th
Marvin = 28th

Marvin's team in 2003 = 28th. At least we are consistent.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='385479' date='Nov 13 2006, 08:44 AM']How can you not put the blame on Marvin???? Honestly is he not the head coach? Has he not had 4 years to turn this D around?

Look at what other Defensive Masterminds (like Marvin is supposed to be) have done.

Lovie Smith = 1st
Romeo = 18th
Marvin = 28th

Marvin's team in 2003 = 28th. At least we are consistent.[/quote]
[b]I gotta agree..Marvin is responsible for drafting players.....[/b]

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='385479' date='Nov 13 2006, 07:44 AM']How can you not put the blame on Marvin???? Honestly is he not the head coach? Has he not had 4 years to turn this D around?

Lovie Smith = 1st
Romeo = 18th
Marvin = 28th

Marvin's team in 2003 = 28th. At least we are consistent.[/quote]

Lovie Smith already had a good Defense in place when he took over.

There are 3, count them 3 players left from the 2002 defense.
And two of them didn`t even play in yesterday`s game.
Marvin gutted the Defense, and used his first two draft
picks to sure up the Offense. Then the next year he used
his top pick on Offense. It wasn`t until his third year that
he drafted Defensive players with his first and second round
picks. I really doubt that anyone could have seen in the
future what was going to happen with those two picks.

Out of the 3 LB`s the Bengals had starting yesterday,
two of them had been on NFL rosters for 7 games before yesterday.
One had played in 3 games and the other had played 4 games
before yesterday.

And you say "like Marvin is supposed to be" like you doubt that he is....

[quote name='bengals8580' post='385368' date='Nov 12 2006, 11:19 PM']no it isnt. first off, they ran a 3-4 in baltimore. so that throws ur post completely in the trash. the ravens also had way better players than us. We got up 21 points today and lost. Our defense was terrible. Our coaches were terrible. Why were we sitting back waiting to see wat san diego was going to do? instead of blitzing and forcing things. we were playing not lose.[/quote]

No they ran a 3-4 in baltimore when marvin left. ;)

[quote name='Gonzoid' post='385454' date='Nov 13 2006, 07:30 AM']Let's see, because said shitty coach has a Super Bowl ring and helped build one of the strongest defenses in the league. Because said shitty coach has brought the franchise back from the dead. Because said shitty coach has been able to lure free agents that before now wouldn't even consider the Bengals. I've got several more reasons and not one of them suggest dumping Marvin Lewis because of one (so far) mediocre season.
Tell that to Bill Belichick.[/quote]

Word

Guest TheBeaverHunter
[quote name='oldschooler' post='385494' date='Nov 13 2006, 10:12 AM']And you say "like Marvin is supposed to be" like you doubt that he is....[/quote]

I do doubt his billing as Defensive Genius. He is good, but he hasn't shown brilliance.

I credit him for what he did in Baltimore, but 2 years after he left they were again ranked 3rd. I give him credit for Washington, but 2 years later they were ranked third. He is good, but I think his reputation supersedes the reality.

The reality is that he has not had a defense rank as well as the 2002 Bengals, the year before he took over.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='385512' date='Nov 13 2006, 08:37 AM']I do doubt his billing as Defensive Genius. He is good, but he hasn't shown brilliance.

I credit him for what he did in Baltimore, but 2 years after he left they were again ranked 3rd. I give him credit for Washington, but 2 years later they were ranked third. He is good, but I think his reputation supersedes the reality.

The reality is that he has not had a defense rank as well as the 2002 Bengals, the year before he took over.[/quote]

And there are 3 players left from that Defense, two of which didn`t even play yesterday.

It has already been stated, that Marvin`s Defense is built around the Line Backers.
Look at who the starters were supposed to be this season. Look at who were the starters yesterday.
You can`t have two rookies starting at your most key position year after year. And expect
things to get better...

I know i'm in the minority, but I think chuck is okay. He's proven that he can win and at least coordinate a super bowl caliber defense.

However, Ricky Hunley hasn't proven anything and neither has Hayes (DL, not TE).

No one should be fired immediately, but all should receive notice that their jobs are on the line.

Archived