Nancy Z is going nowhere ...gets extension

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Zimpher gets 12-month extension[/b][/size]
BY LORI KURTZMAN | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The University of Cincinnati Board of Trustees has been so busy with other matters, chairman Jeff Wyler said, that it hasn’t gotten around to one itty bitty issue: Whether to extend President Nancy Zimpher’s five-year contract.

“We’ve had an awful lot of stuff going on,” Wyler said Tuesday, just before the board unanimously approved a 12-month extension to the president’s contract. The year buys the trustees additional time to negotiate with Zimpher, [b]whom they want to keep at UC for “a very long period of time,” [/b] Wyler said.

[b]“We don’t want her to leave here for the next 20 years,” trustee Anant Bhati said.[/b]

Zimpher, 60, is in the fourth year of a five-year contract with UC. According to her employee agreement, dated Oct. 1, 2003, she was supposed to receive notice after her third annual performance review whether the board planned to extend her term beyond the fifth year.

Problem was, Zimpher hadn’t received her review, which caused some to question whether the board was dragging its feet. In October, the Cincinnati Business Courier ran an editorial calling on UC’s trustees to extend Zimpher’s contract to show their support for the university’s leader and fend off some of the headhunters who might be calling her about high-profile higher education jobs in the state, including the soon-to-be-vacant presidency at Ohio State University.

Trustees patched the problem Tuesday, lavishing praise on Zimpher – “With every day, our degrees are becoming more valuable,” student trustee Nick Furtwengler said – while she sat at the head of the table looking slightly embarrassed.

“It’s all a part of the fishbowl, right?” said Zimpher, who declined a raise this year in light of the $27 million in budget cuts spread across the university.

Despite the overwhelming support she has from trustees, Zimpher is not universally liked. Her decision last year to oust popular basketball coach Bob Huggins infuriated local sports fans to the point that they began printing T-shirts that called for her removal, and booing her at public appearances. That resentment lingers.

But there was nothing but love at the trustees meeting Tuesday, [b]where her contract was pushed to Sept. 30, 2009. [/b] Zimpher said she was honored by the trustees’ words and said she expected that negotiations to further extend her contract would be swift – so “we can get on with the work that needs to be done.”

[b]Zimpher makes $343,350 a year and received $41,202 in deferred compensation, $10,000 for a car allowance and memberships to private clubs totaling $13,040 in 2005-06, according to university documents. She lives in a condominium donated by trustee Buck Niehoff and her employee benefits for 2005-06 were valued at $122,232.

Last year, she received a $75,000 bonus. [/b] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/13.gif[/img]

E-mail lkurtzman@enquirer.com[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061128/NEWS01/311280010"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...EWS01/311280010[/url]

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='396140' date='Nov 29 2006, 02:50 PM']hate her or not at least she is trying to turn that shitty college into something of worth.[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know it was a shitty college. My program was Top 5 in the country and then I transferred to a different college within UC and my program was still Top 25 or so in the country.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='IKOTA' post='396155' date='Nov 29 2006, 12:36 PM']Wow, I didn't know it was a shitty college. My program was Top 5 in the country and then I transferred to a different college within UC and my program was still Top 25 or so in the country.[/quote]
well obviously it has a few good programs evenly nationally recognized. Overall its not that good of a college. Some of the programs are severely lacking tho.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='396190' date='Nov 29 2006, 01:47 PM']well obviously it has a few good programs evenly nationally recognized. Overall its not that good of a college. Some of the programs are severely lacking tho.[/quote]

Did you go to UC? I think you've stated that you did not. What are you basing it on besides what your friends telling you?

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Bengals1181' post='396198' date='Nov 29 2006, 01:59 PM']Did you go to UC? I think you've stated that you did not. What are you basing it on besides what your friends telling you?[/quote]
college rankings and classmates who graduated from or attend UC.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='396200' date='Nov 29 2006, 02:01 PM']college rankings and classmates who graduated from or attend UC.[/quote]

What source are you using for your rankings?

Not every university can excell in every area. I graduated from the College of Engineering which is widely well recognized. The medical and law schools are very good, and CCM is one of the best in the world.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Jason' post='396227' date='Nov 29 2006, 02:44 PM']What source are you using for your rankings?

[b]Not every university can excell in every area. I graduated from the College of Engineering which is widely well recognized. The medical and law schools are very good, and CCM is one of the best in the world.[/b][/quote]
I know this.

I look at the one that yahoo puts out every year from some place, i forget where. I always look at Miami, Duke, UC, and Xavier.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='396232' date='Nov 29 2006, 02:53 PM']I know this.

I look at the one that yahoo puts out every year from some place, i forget where. I always look at Miami, Duke, UC, and Xavier.[/quote]

Having Duke and Xavier in that list is not entirely fair. Those are private institutions, and can maintain any standards they want. UC is a public institution, and is intended to be generally accessible to all students.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Jason' post='396259' date='Nov 29 2006, 03:15 PM']Having Duke and Xavier in that list is not entirely fair. Those are private institutions, and can maintain any standards they want. UC is a public institution, and is intended to be generally accessible to all students.[/quote]
Miami....

Guest starkesn
[quote name='Jason' post='396227' date='Nov 29 2006, 02:44 PM']What source are you using for your rankings?

Not every university can excell in every area. I graduated from the College of Engineering which is widely well recognized. The medical and law schools are very good, and CCM is one of the best in the world.[/quote]

On top of that, I'm in the UC architecture undergrad program and we are the in the top 5 nationally. The Grad program at UC is #2 only behind Harvard! We also have the top Interior Design and Industrial design schools in the nation as well. Not to mention half a dozen other great programs in the DAAP college alone. Nancy hasn't done shit. All of these programs were well recognized way before she took over.

[quote name='starkesn' post='396695' date='Nov 30 2006, 08:26 AM']On top of that, I'm in the UC architecture undergrad program and we are the in the top 5 nationally. The Grad program at UC is #2 only behind Harvard! We also have the top Interior Design and Industrial design schools in the nation as well. Not to mention half a dozen other great programs in the DAAP college alone. Nancy hasn't done shit. All of these programs were well recognized way before she took over.[/quote]

Thanks, I totally forgot DAAP. Don't know how I could though with that funky building. :D

[quote name='Jason' post='396707' date='Nov 30 2006, 11:12 AM']Thanks, I totally forgot DAAP. Don't know how I could though with that funky building. :D[/quote]

DAAP, CCM, Engineering, Business College....all very good and ranked highly. Interesting fact about DAAP, no two walls meet at the same angle in the entire building. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Jason, which field in engineering were you in? My father teaches Mechanical Engineering at UC...maybe you had him?

[quote name='IKOTA' post='397044' date='Nov 30 2006, 02:55 PM']DAAP, CCM, Engineering, Business College....all very good and ranked highly. Interesting fact about DAAP, no two walls meet at the same angle in the entire building. I always thought that was pretty cool.

Jason, which field in engineering were you in? My father teaches Mechanical Engineering at UC...maybe you had him?[/quote]

Chemical, class of 1992. What does he teach?

No 2 the same? Are you sure? I knew there were no 90 degree angles in the building.

[quote name='Jason' post='397078' date='Nov 30 2006, 06:00 PM']Chemical, class of 1992. What does he teach?

No 2 the same? Are you sure? I knew there were no 90 degree angles in the building.[/quote]

Heat transfer, Fluid dynamics. You know my last name (#80 jersey), just add Dr. in front and that's who it would be.

As for the angles, I am 99.9% sure as I was a Student Orientation Leader and we had to learn weird facts such as this about the university. And you're correct also, there are no 90 degree angles.

[quote name='#22' post='400559' date='Dec 4 2006, 03:12 AM']I go to UC, Nancy has done a good job with academics.
That's why we have colleges in the first place, is it not?[/quote]

Nancy's not all bad, but if I gave you a nice car and you changed the oil on it regularly and maintain it, you would still have the same nice car. Doesn't mean that you manufactured that nice car from scrap though.

She doesn't deserve all the hate but she doesn't deserve that much credit either. Check the university's donations during her time and check who has pulled out their support. Also, as a university President, you can't maintain the academics at the cost of athletics...which she has done to a certain degree. See Bearcat basketball attendance.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='GoBengals' post='401345' date='Dec 5 2006, 02:16 AM'][b]your[/b] a bafoon.[/quote]
you're

So who's the bafoon?

Miami here

UC here

:D

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='401465' date='Dec 5 2006, 01:26 PM']you're
So who's the bafoon?
Miami here

UC here

:D[/quote]

Didn't you say you hate UC the school and their athletics? Then you went on to say that you like UC football right now. UC football was part of their athletics program the last time I checked. So at Miami, they teach you how to spell, but the critical thinking and common sense.....not so much.

:whistle:

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='IKOTA' post='401499' date='Dec 5 2006, 12:19 PM']Didn't you say you hate UC the school and their athletics? Then you went on to say that you like UC football right now. UC football was part of their athletics program the last time I checked. So at Miami, they teach you how to spell, but the critical thinking and common sense.....not so much.

:whistle:[/quote]
I also explained the only reason I like the football team is because no one roots for them and I feel their coach deserved some following and respect. That is why once the bandwagoners jump back on I will quit following them. I definitely have the critical thinking and common sense.

You can't read I guess? Or are you just a fucking dumbass? :whistle:

:D

Archived