UC Hired a Head Coach!

Apparently, a plane has just landed in Cincinnati w/ Brian Kelly who will be announced as the new Bearcats Head Football Coach....good luck!

[img]http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics15/200/MI/MIRCZCDIRZOVFKJ.20060907144648.jpg[/img] Brian Kelly
Football

Head Coach

Alma Mater: Assumption College

Hometown: Chelsea, Mass.

In just two seasons, head coach Brian Kelly has rejuvenated the Central Michigan University football program.
The Chippewas enjoyed their most successful campaign of the decade in 2005, Kelly’s second year at the helm. CMU put together a four-game winning streak midway through the season en route to a 6-5 overall record and 5-3 mark in the Mid-American Conference. It marked the Chippewas’ first winning record since 1998 and most overall and conference wins since the same season.
“Brian Kelly is a motivated, talented leader who respects the traditions of Central Michigan University while building a future of academic distinction, athletic excellence, and national prominence” said CMU President Michael Rao. “He holds CMU’s student-athletes to high standards in the classroom with mandatory study tables, resulting in a number of players named to the Academic All-MAC team. Coach Kelly recruits outstanding student-athletes, energizes alumni and donor support, and elicits attention from national media. The success of his program reflects positively on the entire CMU community.”
The 2005 squad opened the conference schedule by winning at Miami, 38-37, and in October defeated Toledo at home, 21-17, to become the first MAC program to defeat both defending conference divisional champs in the following regular season. The victory over Toledo also was noteworthy, as it marked CMU’s first win over the Rockets since 1994.
The Chippewas also knocked off the 2005 conference champ, Akron, by rallying from a 17-7 halftime deficit to claim a 31-17 win in the Rubber Bowl on October 1. The victory was the first of four in a row in the month of October.
In two seasons under Kelly, the Chippewas have displayed significant improvement on both sides of the ball. Offensively, CMU displayed remarkable balance in 2005. The Chippewas ranked in the top four in the MAC in both rushing offense (158.8 ypg) and passing offense (260.1 ypg), the first time since 1996 that CMU finished in the top four in the conference in both categories in the same season. The Chippewas’ 418.9 yards per game of total offense was the highest since 1996; CMU’s yards of total offense per game has increased in each of the past two seasons.
The Chippewas’ most dramatic improvement defensively has come in the area of rush defense. The 2005 Chippewa defense led the Mid-American Conference in rushing defense, surrendering just 113.7 yards per game on the ground. In 2003, the year before Kelly took over, CMU ranked last in the MAC in that category, allowing 245.8 yards per game rushing.
CMU has improved its win total in each of Kelly’s first two seasons, and the Chippewas’ 10 wins over the past two seasons are the most in a two-year stretch since the 1998 and 1999 teams won a total of 10 games.
“The entire Central Michigan University family is excited about the direction in which our football program is headed,” said Director of Athletics Dave Heeke. “I am thrilled that Brian Kelly is our football coach. He provides outstanding leadership and has a track record of success. The future is very bright for our football program.”
Kelly took over a program prior to the 2004 season that had won three or fewer games in three of the four previous seasons. He guided the Chippewas to a 4-7 mark in 2004, with two losses coming by five points or less. Among the four wins were a 24-21 overtime win at home against rival Western Michigan and a 41-40 win over Ball State in the season finale, a game in which the Chippewas rallied from a 27-0 first-quarter deficit.
Three players from the Chippewas’ 2004 squad are currently on NFL rosters. Eric Ghiacuic and Adam Kieft were drafted in the fourth and fifth rounds, respectively, in 2005, while Tory Humphrey spent last season with the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent. Humphrey was recently allocated to the Amsterdam Admirals for the 2006 NFL Europe season.
Three different players have garnered All-MAC first team honors under Kelly. Daniel Bazuin, the 2005 MAC Defensive Player of the Year, is a two-time first-team honoree.
Active on the national level, Kelly is a member of the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) Ethics Committee and is one of 62 Division I-A coaches to hold a vote in the USA Today Top 25.
Kelly arrived at CMU fresh off consecutive NCAA Division II national titles at Grand Valley State University. He was 118-35-2 in 13 seasons at Grand Valley, including 103-22-2 in Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play.
The Lakers were 41-2 in Kelly’s final three seasons, winning 32 consecutive games at one point, and claiming Division II national championships in 2002 (14-0) and 2003 (14-1). His 2001 squad finished 13-1 and advanced to the national championship game.
Kelly was named the AFCA Division II Coach of the Year twice (2002 and 2003) and led the Lakers to five conference titles and six Division II Playoff appearances in his 13 seasons at Grand Valley. The Lakers never finished lower than third in the GLIAC, a conference whose membership numbered between 11 and 14 teams, during Kelly’s tenure.
Kelly mentored a pair of finalists for the Harlon Hill Award, presented annually to the top player in Division II. Curt Anes won the award in 2002 after finishing runner-up in 2001, while Jeff Fox was third in the balloting in 1998. Both players were quarterbacks in Kelly’s system.
Kelly’s Grand Valley players earned 77 All-America awards, with four players moving on to the NFL and another three to the Canadian Football League. His 2001 national runner-up squad set 77 NCAA, GLIAC, and school records, including setting the all-time Division II scoring record by averaging 58.4 points per game. The 2001 team also became the first Division II unit in 53 years to average more than 600 yards per game in total offense (600.8 ypg in 14 games).
Grand Valley followed up its record-shattering 2001 season by averaging 497.5 ypg and 47.0 ppg during its undefeated 2002 national championship run. The 2003 team, meanwhile, was more noted for its defense. The Lakers defeated North Dakota, 10-3, in the 2003 national title game.
A native of Chelsea, Massachusetts, Kelly attended St. John’s Prep School in Danvers, Massachusetts. He was a four-year letterwinner at Assumption College (Massachusetts) as a linebacker. After graduating from Assumption in 1983 with a bachelor’s degree in political science, he served as linebackers coach, defensive coordinator, and softball coach from 1983-86 at Assumption.
Kelly joined the Grand Valley staff in 1987 as a graduate assistant and defensive backs coach. He became the defensive coordinator and recruiting coordinator in 1989 and took over as head coach in 1991. His first team finished 9-3 and qualified for the NCAA Playoffs.
Brian and his wife, Paqui, have three children - Patrick Liam (9), Grace Marie (6), and Kenzel Michael (5). They reside in Mount Pleasant.

[quote]There was supposedly a press conference scheduled at Iowa St to announce his
hiring (at least one site was announcing it FWIW).[b] Also he was rumored to
be, drum roll please, Michigan State's #1 choice.[/b][/quote]

--From a UC employee who is a bigtime fan of UC athletics as well

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061203/SPT0101/312030009/1062/SPT"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...030009/1062/SPT[/url]

Kelly new UC coach
BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
The University of Cincinnati will name Central Michigan coach Brian Kelly as its new head football coach at a 4 p.m. news conference Monday.

UC athletic director Mike Thomas was in Mt. Pleasant, Mich., on Sunday to interview Kelly.

Kelly was confirmed as the new head coach at about 7:15 p.m. by UC associate athletic director Mike Waddell.

Kelly’s Central Michigan team was 8-4 this year and will play in the Motor City Bowl on Dec. 26.

He was 14-9 in two seasons at Central Michigan. The Chippewas were 6-5 in 2005, their first winning season since 1998.

He was hired by UC less than one week after Mark Dantonio left after three years to become the head coach at Michigan State.

In fact, he met with his Central Michigan players at a 5 p.m. to inform them of his decision, about the same time Dantonio was attending the UC football banquet.

“He’s a proven commodity as a winner,” Waddell said of Kelly. “It was a pretty expedient search. Mike got what he was looking for out of the search – a proven winner. And he wants to be a Bearcat.”

Kelly won two NCAA Division II national titles at Grand Valley State and was 118-35-2 in 13 seasons there.

[b]He was one of the finalists for the Michigan State job that Dantonio landed last Monday.[/b]

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='400249' date='Dec 3 2006, 11:35 PM']man i didn't read all what you put up ikota, but get to the point for me! is he a good hire or not ?[/quote]

In my very uneducated opinion...yes. Apparently Kelly was Michigan States #1 choice but he turned them down, he also turned down Iowa State.

I, like some others on here wanted Narduzzi to be the coach given his relationship w/ the players and his success with the defense but this is what another person close to the situation had to say about him...

[quote]Just had an interesting conversation with a long time Bearcat football
booster. He mentioned that he had heard Narduzzi speak at a luncheon during
the season and felt he sounded more like someone you expected to be a high
school coach rather than the head coach at a BCS school. He didn't know
much about Narduzzi's x's and o's, especially on the offensive side of
things, and when I suggested that Dantonio wasn't exactly the most
scintillating speaker he agreed, but commented that the way Dantonio spoke,
especially in a small group situation, was quite good, and made for an
excellent recruiting posture. He wasn't sure that Narduzzi, if he spoke to
recruits as the head coach, the way he talked at the luncheon, would be
particularly impressive to recruits, and especially to their parents.[/quote]

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='400538' date='Dec 4 2006, 12:06 AM']why in the hell would he turn down msu and iowa state for uc?[/quote]
he didnt want to be in the same conference as OSU and MIchigan, thats why he turned down MSU from what ive heard. The Big East teams would be easier to surpass.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='400543' date='Dec 4 2006, 12:09 AM']he didnt want to be in the same conference as OSU and MIchigan, thats why he turned down MSU from what ive heard. The Big East teams would be easier to surpass.[/quote]

Yeah right, it so much easier to start a dynasty here. :lmao:

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='sneaky' post='400579' date='Dec 4 2006, 03:33 AM']Yeah right, it so much easier to start a dynasty here. :lmao:[/quote]
It is.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Jason' post='401380' date='Dec 5 2006, 06:57 AM']For those of you who are UC football fans, are any of you "excited" by this hiring?

For those of you on the fence, would this guy bring you to any more games?[/quote]
i hate UC the school and their athletics, but i was following the football team some this year because of what D'Traitor was doing. I like the hiring and will continue to root for UC until the jackass bandwagoners jump on. At that point I will jump off. I think Kelly was a good hiring considering the things i heard about Narduzzis lack of speaking skills which would kill recruiting. Kelly is a GREAT speaker and the offense he brings will help put asses in the seats.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='401464' date='Dec 5 2006, 10:55 AM']i hate UC the school and their athletics, but i was following the football team some this year because of what D'Traitor was doing. [b]I like the hiring and will continue to root for UC until the jackass bandwagoners jump on. At that point I will jump off.[/b] I think Kelly was a good hiring considering the things i heard about Narduzzis lack of speaking skills which would kill recruiting. Kelly is a GREAT speaker and the offense he brings will help put asses in the seats.[/quote]

Doesn't that make you bandwagon but worse? Instead of basing it on the team you are basing it on the fans.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Jason' post='401468' date='Dec 5 2006, 11:06 AM']Doesn't that make you bandwagon but worse? Instead of basing it on the team you are basing it on the fans.[/quote]
i dont like the team or the school, but i do think its bullshit that they get no following. So i will follow them until they have a legit following.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='401496' date='Dec 5 2006, 12:15 PM']honestly jason, i really haven't followed the new coaches career. but from what i keep hearing he's a good coach. whatever it takes to put us on the map in the big east im on it. i will always love JC and their teams, just hate the bitch! (Zimpher)[/quote]
there is no reason this guy shouldnt have success. he is going to have a solid defense for the next 2 or 3 years and he is supposedly an offensive god. if he can bring in some offense this season and next season then id say in 2 or 3 years he should have a shot at winning the Big East. Then the team is all his players unless he bounces out for a better job.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='natifanatic' post='401632' date='Dec 5 2006, 03:59 PM']As long as Narduzzi sticks as defensive coordinator, I'm pretty happy with this hiring. I mean when Central Michigan goes 9-4 and wins the MAC, you know the coach has to be doing good things there.[/quote]
narduzzi is gone. if he didnt get the HC job he was bouncing. Kelly wants his own staff anyways.

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Kelly to coach bowl game[/b][/size]
BY BILL KOCH | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Brian Kelly, the University of Cincinnati’s new head football coach, will preside over his new team for the first time on Jan. 6 when he coaches the Bearcats against Western Michigan in the International Bowl in Toronto.

Kelly will coach the team along with several assistants from his new staff, UC associate athletic director Mike Waddell confirmed today.

The UC players are scheduled to begin preparations for the game on Dec. 18.

Kelly said Monday that he hoped to have his coaching staff hired within seven to 10 days. Some of those coaches will come from his staff at Central Michigan, which is playing in the Motor City Bowl on Dec. 26.

“I’ve got to be careful that we take care of Central Michigan, too,” Kelly said. “I want those kids to win that bowl game so I don’t want to short staff them on their end.”

E-mail bkoch@enquirer.com[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061205/SPT0101/312050029"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...T0101/312050029[/url]

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Kelly and New Staff to Coach Bowl Game [/b][/size]

Bearcats to begin bowl practice on Dec. 17

Dec. 5, 2006

CINCINNATI, Ohio -- Brian Kelly and the new Bearcats staff will coach the University of Cincinnati in its Jan. 6 International Bowl game vs. Western Michigan.

UC Director of Athletics Mike Thomas made that determination after consulting with Kelly and members of the team.

"Our goal was to put the best opportunity for success on the sidelines for our student-athletes," stated Thomas. "Coach Kelly and his staff have a wealth of knowledge regarding our opponent in the International Bowl and are ready to lead our team against Western Michigan. I am excited that we have Cincinnati coaches leading our Bearcats on the field as that is how it should be."

Kelly anticipates that several members of his staff at Central Michigan will accompany him to Cincinnati, although those coaches will also have responsibilities to prepare and coach Central Michigan in the Dec. 26 Motor City Bowl.

"The opportunity to lead our team during the pre-bowl practices and in the International Bowl against Western Michigan is exciting," Kelly stated. "It is important that our student-athletes be focused and properly prepared for success in Toronto. They will work hard, but will enjoy the bowl experience and all that the city of Toronto has planned for them.

"This plan alleviates any concern of confusion as to where we are headed as a program and will maximize the preparation time on getting an eighth win for our group of seniors who have worked so hard in leading this team this season," Kelly added.

Kelly directed Central Michigan to a 31-7 win over Western Michigan this past season.

Though unusual, this is not the first time that a new head coach has taken over a team after the end of the regular season and piloted that team in a bowl game. David Cutcliffe was named head coach at Mississippi after the 1998 season and directed the Rebels in the Independence Bowl that season. Mississippi posted a 35-18 win over Texas Tech.

The Bearcats, who are completing end-of-quarter exams this week, will return on Dec. 17 to campus for preparation for the International Bowl and will start practices on Dec. 18, ending on Dec. 23.

Following a two-day holiday break the team will return to campus the evening of December 26 and will stage practices from December 27-29, before taking another two-day hiatus for the New Year's Holiday. The team will return to campus on the night of Jan. 1 and will depart for Toronto via flight on the morning of Jan. 2. The Bearcats will practice Jan. 3, 4, and 5, leading up to the clash with Western Michigan on January 6.[/quote]

[url="http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/120506aac.html"]http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl.../120506aac.html[/url]

Archived