Bengals tender RFA's

[b]Notes: Bengals tender six RFAs

February 28, 2007

Posted: 2:40 p.m.

Johnson
The Bengals today announced that the team has made tender offers to six unsigned players, all entering their fourth NFL season. The players, designated as restricted free agents, are G Stacy Andrews, CB Greg Brooks, LBs Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller, P Kyle Larson and DT Shaun Smith.

By making the tenders, the Bengals gain the right to retain the players by matching any offer sheets they would sign from another team. The players could also remain with the Bengals by signing their tender offer for 2007, or by negotiating a longer-term contract with Cincinnati.

Two players -- Andrews and Larson -- were tendered at a dollar amount which stipulates that if the Bengals declined to match an offer that either would receive from another team, that team must compensate the Bengals with a second-round choice in the 2007 Draft.

The other four players were tendered at a dollar amount which qualifies as their “draft-status level.” This means that if any of those four sign elsewhere and the Bengals decline to match, the Bengals will be compensated with a 2007 Draft choice from the new team(s), matching the round in which the player was originally chosen. Johnson and Miller were third-round draft choices, and Brooks was a sixth-rounder. Smith entered the NFL as a college free agent, so the Bengals will not receive a compensatory draft pick if the club declines to match an offer he would receive.

The deadline for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet from another team is April 20. Under terms of the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, any Cincinnati RFA who has not signed an offer sheet by that date will have his 2007 NFL rights revert exclusively to the Bengals. If one of the players signs an offer sheet with another team, the Bengals will have seven days from the signing date to make a decision on matching the offer.

Whitehead
WHITEHEAD SIGNS: The Bengals signed RB Terrence Whitehead to a one-year contract. Whitehead (5-10, 215; Oregon) is classified a second-year NFL player in 2007.

He signed with Cincinnati in 2006 as a college free agent, but suffered a toe injury in the second preseason game and was placed Aug. 24 on the Reserve/Injured list, missing the entire regular season. He had six rushes for 16 yards and two receptions for 18 yards in preseason. The Bengals held his exclusive NFL rights for 2007.

FOUR BENGALS ASSIGNED TO NFL EUROPE TEAMS: The Bengals have allocated four players to NFL Europe for the 2007 season. The players and their assigned teams are: LB Jason Berryman (Iowa State) -- Berlin Thunder; TE Sean Mulcahy (Connecticut) -- Rhein Fire; OT Alan Reuber (Texas A&M) -- Cologne Centurions; DE Jimmy Verdon (Arizona State) -- Hamburg Sea Devils.

[/b]

What the hell us up with Marvin and keeping around Greg Brooks? I couldn't even tell you what the guy looks like. I don't even know one thing about the guy... shows how much he's contributed to the team on gameday

Guest fredtoast
What is the "second round compensation" amount? Is it around $1.3 million?

And what is the "draft status level" amount? Is it around $800,000?

$800,000 is a pretty resonable price for a LB like Johnson who has 37 starts in the NFL and almost 300 career tackles. Miller also 10 NFL starts. If the right team has a specific need then they would be better off in '07 with an NFL vet than any rookie they wouold get in the third round.

Denver likes smaller faster LBs and their #2 MLB is Nate Webster who has played a total of 7 games in the last three years. Johnson started an entire season at MLB, but I don't see that as his natural position.

The Colts are going to lose WOLB Cato June, but they are already without a 2nd round pick. I doubt if they would give up their 3rd also.

I wonder if the Bengals would match any higher offers to keep either Landon or Caleb.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='447277' date='Feb 28 2007, 03:03 PM']I know DOrsey was the shifty and fast one, but how was whitehead? Does he have any speed to him?[/quote]

Very good pass receiver, in particular. Not real fast - at least, he didn't time that way. I thought he looked pretty good in the pre-season, before he got hurt.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='bengalsdave985' post='447281' date='Feb 28 2007, 04:05 PM']lots of speed, big numbers at oregon[/quote]

Actually he only runs something like a 4.7. He isn't very fast for his size.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='447296' date='Feb 28 2007, 06:42 PM']What is the "second round compensation" amount? [b]Is it around $1.3 million?[/b]

And what is the "draft status level" amount? [b]Is it around $800,000?[/b]

$800,000 is a pretty resonable price for a LB like Johnson who has 37 starts in the NFL and almost 300 career tackles. Miller also 10 NFL starts. If the right team has a specific need then they would be better off in '07 with an NFL vet than any rookie they wouold get in the third round.

Denver likes smaller faster LBs and their #2 MLB is Nate Webster who has played a total of 7 games in the last three years. Johnson started an entire season at MLB, but I don't see that as his natural position.

The Colts are going to lose WOLB Cato June, but they are already without a 2nd round pick. I doubt if they would give up their 3rd also.

I wonder if the Bengals would match any higher offers to keep either Landon or Caleb.[/quote]

Yes, I believe you are correct. And I'd take players like L. Johnson and C. Miller for that price anyday...but if we do happen to lose them, then we get third round picks as compensation...a win win IMO.

Guest Whodey420
[quote name='Tigris' post='447244' date='Feb 28 2007, 03:36 PM']What the hell us up with Marvin and keeping around Greg Brooks? I couldn't even tell you what the guy looks like. I don't even know one thing about the guy... shows how much he's contributed to the team on gameday[/quote]

I was gonna ask the same thing. Greg Brooks hasnt done jack shit since he's been here except
take up space. WTF!!

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Bengals ready for free agency[/b][/size]
BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Bengals announced Wednesday that they have made tender offers to six unsigned players, all entering their fourth NFL season.

The players, designated as restricted free agents, are guard Stacy Andrews, cornerback Greg Brooks, linebackers Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller, punter Kyle Larson and defensive tackle Shaun Smith.

By making the tenders, the Bengals gain the right to retain the players by matching any offer sheets they would sign from another team. The players could also remain with the Bengals by signing their tender offer for 2007, or by negotiating a longer-term contract with Cincinnati.

Two players - Andrews and Larson - were tendered at $1.3 million for one year. The offer stipulates that if the Bengals declined to match an offer that either would receive from another team, that team must compensate the Bengals with a second-round choice in the 2007 draft.

The other four players were tendered at a dollar amount ($850,000) which qualifies as their “draft-status level.” This means that if any of those four sign elsewhere and the Bengals decline to match, the Bengals will be compensated with a 2007 draft choice from the new team(s), matching the round in which the player was originally chosen.

Johnson and Miller were third-round draft choices, and Brooks was a sixth-rounder. Smith entered the NFL as a college free agent, so the Bengals will not receive a compensatory draft pick if the club declines to match an offer he would receive.

The deadline for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet from another team is April 20. Under terms of the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, any Cincinnati RFA who has not signed an offer sheet by that date will have his 2007 NFL rights revert exclusively to the Bengals.

If one of the players signs an offer sheet with another team, the Bengals will have seven days from the signing date to make a decision on matching the offer.

The Bengals today also signed halfback Terrence Whitehead to a one-year contract.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070228/SPT02/302280047/1066/rss07"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0047/1066/rss07[/url]

Archived