EnglishBengal Mock Draft v2

1. S Reggie Nelson, Florida
Was a major reason why Florida won the national title this year. Is a fiery leader who will immediately jack-up the Bengals' D, and a great prospect who would be an instant upgrade in depth (if we lose KK), and can play corner aswell. Groom him on special teams ans he can be our other gunner opposite Ethan Kilmer. This kid can also retrurn kicks/punts and isn't that bad at doing it either. In a year or two this guy will be able to take over from D-Jax. Tackling may need work but it that is more than correctable given his upside.

2. OLB Job Beason, Miami(Fla)
This guy is another terrific leader and can actually play the pass as well as most (if not all) of the linebackers in this draft, which is something our LB corps lacked last year. He will be a perfect fit for the Bengals non-blitz scheme as he's athletic enough against the run and can get back to cover receivers out of the backfield on underneath to mid-range routes. Another high character guy that will inject life into the Bengals D.

3. (Ahmed Brooks - what a steal)

4. TE Kevin Boss. Western Oregon (TE Ben Patrick, Delaware instead, if he falls)
The Bengals have scouted this guy and seem guniunely interested. He's a TD machine who would provide an adequate safety valve in the passing game, but isn't a great blocker (at this point). I know our TE should be a block first guy, but the Bengals wouldn't have scouted him if they thought he wouldn't help the offense, so I've put him here on that basis. HOWEVER, if Ben Patrick where to fall this far, the Bengals will take him instead. Patrick would be the perfect TE for the Bengals system as he can receive and block - I'd better start praying!

5. RB Lorenzo Booker, Florida State
HOPEFULLY HE'LL PATCH THINGS UP WITH AHMED BROOKS. But regardless, is an ideal replacement for Mr. Glass himself - Chris Perry.

6. DT Paul Soliai, Utah
An ideal replacement for Shaun Smith, but is probably going to be an even better player at the end of the day. At 6-4 344 lbs, he regularly collapses the pocket in run game and was too strong for every guard/tackle he went up against in college. The prototype run plugger. Provides depth behind big Sam.

7. QB Lester Ricard, Tulane
Underrated prospect who has been under the radar, but really showed up well in the senior bowl. Has the same attributes as Carson Palmer but just little bit more raw. He's a good character guy and shows great poise on the field, especially in the pocket in the passing game. He has a big arm and is accurate with it.

Guest Bengals1181
I'd be happy with this draft for the most part. A part of me would rather go CB than safety in the first though.

As for Beason, some are rating him as the best LB in the draft (I don't agree) so he won't likely be there in the second when we pick.

Also, AJ nicholson was the one who had issues with Booker, and Booker mentioned at the combine that the two of them have worked everything out.

What can you tell us about Lester Ricard?

Boss is a 5th rounder (i have him in my mock as well) and booker last i checked was projected in the 3rd. Switch them up and hope Booker falls that far and Id be happy with that. Though what 1181 said about Beason is true, probabally be supprised if he was in the 2nd.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='455123' date='Mar 11 2007, 08:48 AM']I'd be happy with this draft for the most part. A part of me would rather go CB than safety in the first though.

As for Beason, some are rating him as the best LB in the draft (I don't agree) so he won't likely be there in the second when we pick.
Also, AJ nicholson was the one who had issues with Booker, and Booker mentioned at the combine that the two of them have worked everything out.
What can you tell us about Lester Ricard?[/quote]
All I can say is that, Ricard started for Tulane in 2005(I think). In 2005 he was brilliant (completing 61% of his passes), in year two he struggled on lost the starting job - but the whole team was suffering at this time due to the Katrina disaster which affected their Louisana location badly. In the final year came back strong again completing almost 58% of his passes.

He does have flaws in his game, like any other potiential late rounder/FA QB. He's very inconsistent at times but the tools are all there to develop. In his stellar 2005 season - he threw for 1,881 yards and 21 touchdowns in nine games while completing nearly 62 percent of his passes (143-of-231). After a slow start, he put up huge numbers in his last four games.he completed 69.4 percent of his passes (984-of-121) for 1,116 yards (279 yards/game) with 12 touchdown passes and just two interceptions.

He's not a very mobile quarterback (but neither is Carson), and is inconstent at times. But put him in a good offense and he will flourish because his game is built on deep passing. He's alot like Aaron Brooks was coming out of college, and throws a deadly accurate pass with plenty of zip, but has slightly more poise on the field than Brooks ever had, and doesn't get rattled as easily under pressure. On his day he is deadly accurate and like Carson has the ability to throw the ball accurately in tight windows, but sometimes his accuracy let's him down and can throw careless interceptions. The last two years of his college career he was clearly battling demons to with the Katrina disaster and it clearly showed on the field. But before this point, some scouts were touting him has the next big thing in college football. If this guy can get over his mental demons (which he was beginning to, towards the end of his college career) then this guy will be a real gem. IMO he's a better prospect than Casey Bramlet was when he came out. Don't ask me how I know about this guy, but I have a pen pal who went to Tulane and kept raving on about him.

Lester is supposed to have pretty good size and athleticism if I remember right.

As well he had a decent senior campaign. Anyway.

I think you're off a whole Rd.

I don't think Soliai will be there in the 6th. Only because this draft is lacking bigmen from the DT spot.

Booker will be gone likely by the 3rd. Since he's clearly the best pass catcher. Poorman's Reggie Bush.

Beason as discussed will be gone.

Where is the link that the Bengals have scouted Kevin Boss? You should post it in the prospect interest sheet thread.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='455192' date='Mar 11 2007, 01:14 PM']Lester is supposed to have pretty good size and athleticism if I remember right.

As well he had a decent senior campaign. Anyway.

I think you're off a whole Rd.

I don't think Soliai will be there in the 6th. Only because this draft is lacking bigmen from the DT spot.

Booker will be gone likely by the 3rd. Since he's clearly the best pass catcher. Poorman's Reggie Bush.

Beason as discussed will be gone.

Where is the link that the Bengals have scouted Kevin Boss? You should post it in the prospect interest sheet thread.[/quote]

Someone posted a thread on him, in the main Bengals forum. Says the Bengals were one of 9 teams looking at him at the combine.

link: [url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=29034"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=29034[/url]

(I've also added Kevin Boss to the prospects thread)

1st is good, but he will not make it past the Jaguars. The coaches have a man crush on him, they have a big need at free safety, and he is a perfect fit.

Beason will probably be there in the 2nd after his piss poor showing at the combine. He would be a great player on the weakside for us.

Boss will more than likely go undrafted.

I don't think Booker will make it to the 5th, but 4th is very possible. He is undersized and would not be the feature back, and he is seen as an underachiever, so he might slip.

I think Soliai will go in the 4th or 5th round, his stock seems to be pretty high lately.

Ricard has good size, but that's about all I know about him. His numbers in college were poor.

Guest happyrid
I like this draft a lot position wise and I like most of the players too, especially if the team thinks Madieu can play some corner.

I do have a couple minor nitpicks though. First, I think that I would prefer a smaller, quicker type of DT. Both Sam and Peko are huge plugger types and we only have Thornton as a smaller pass rushing guy. Plus, I'm not sure he's going to be on the team after this coming season so it would be nice to start grooming a replacement.

Also, I don't love the Booker pick because if Perry is healthy as it is assumed he will be, is there even a 4th roster spot for a RB? I think I'd rather have another developmental safety and/or CB on the second day.

[quote name='happyrid' post='455441' date='Mar 12 2007, 01:17 AM']I like this draft a lot position wise and I like most of the players too, especially if the team thinks Madieu can play some corner.

I do have a couple minor nitpicks though. First, I think that I would prefer a smaller, quicker type of DT. Both Sam and Peko are huge plugger types and we only have Thornton as a smaller pass rushing guy. Plus, I'm not sure he's going to be on the team after this coming season so it would be nice to start grooming a replacement.
[b]
Also, I don't love the Booker pick because if Perry is healthy as it is assumed he will be, is there even a 4th roster spot for a RB? I think I'd rather have another developmental safety and/or CB on the second day.[/b][/quote]
I think I read that Perry will miss a portion of this season while still recovering from his ankle, and I think he's like 1 more injury riddled season away from being shown the door.

[quote name='happyrid' post='455441' date='Mar 12 2007, 01:17 AM']I like this draft a lot position wise and I like most of the players too, especially if the team thinks Madieu can play some corner.

I do have a couple minor nitpicks though. First, I think that I would prefer a smaller, quicker type of DT. [b]Both Sam and Peko are huge plugger types and we only have Thornton as a smaller pass rushing guy. Plus, I'm not sure he's going to be on the team after this coming season so it would be nice to start grooming a replacement.[/b]

Also, I don't love the Booker pick because if Perry is healthy as it is assumed he will be, is there even a 4th roster spot for a RB? I think I'd rather have another developmental safety and/or CB on the second day.[/quote]

First off, Peko isn't that huge. Besides, the record setting defense Marvin had in B-whore had 2 huge DTs.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='455547' date='Mar 12 2007, 12:50 PM']I'd classify Peko more as "huge" than "not huge."

There is the sub 300 crowd, small.

The above 300-310 crowd, medium.

Then there are the 310-330, large

Then there is Sam Adams.

Peko is a big boy.[/quote]

Not sure why, but for me, huge starts at 330. Yes, Peko is big, and as he "matures" he may well get to 330. I think part of it is he doesn't look 320 to me. Sam is huge.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='455463' date='Mar 12 2007, 05:01 AM']I think I read that Perry will miss a portion of this season while still recovering from his ankle, and I think he's like 1 more injury riddled season away from being shown the door.[/quote]

In an interview recently Marvin said he would miss minicamps but would definitely be ready for training camp in August. Unless I missed something in the last 2 weeks (which is definitely possible), then I believe you are incorrect.

So, assuming we drafted Booker, we would go into training camp with 6 decently talented RBs with room only for 4 on the roster:

Rudi Johnson
Jeremi Johnson
Chris Perry
Kenny Watson
Quincy Wilson
Lorenzo Booker

Of the 6, only Booker would be practice squad eligible and he would be snatched up in a second if we tried to sneak him onto the PS. We're already going to have to cut somebody good (likely Wilson) so I just don't see the need at RB.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='Jason' post='455467' date='Mar 12 2007, 05:45 AM']First off, Peko isn't that huge. Besides, the record setting defense Marvin had in B-whore had 2 huge DTs.[/quote]

Young Sam Adams, though still big, was a faster penetrating type guy who could collapse the pocket and get sacks. We don't have a single DT who can get more than 2 sacks a year or at least push the middle of the pocket back to make QBs at least a bit uncomfortable in the pocket. I actually like the boost that Adams and Peko gave our run D. For the first time in quite a few years, I didn't feel like we were getting killed at the point of attack.

Archived