Trend at DE is toward smaller, faster players

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='458344' date='Mar 18 2007, 11:56 AM']Geathers and Smith are both good, not great, but good starters. Geathers isn't horrible against the run, and is actually not bad at all when you compare him to most guys with 10+ sacks.[/quote]

what do you mean, bro? geathers' play against the run was so pathetic that you can't even qualify him as a "starter", much less a "good starter", in our run package. the majority of the time his ass was on the pine and BROB performed that role.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='texbengal' post='458279' date='Mar 18 2007, 08:56 AM']I agree on Justin, as well as on Rucker. [b]Frostee went through all of TC and much of the pre-season in 2006, and I think the Bengals know some of what they've got. In 2007, I think he'll help the pass rush and the run defense, too.[/b][/quote]

I agree that the Bengals probably have a pretty good idea of how good of a player Forstee will be in their system after watching him last TC. But, who is to say that they don't view him as a huge disappointment and a bit of a bad pick? Isn't it just as possible that they have concluded that Frostee is just a role player and will never make an impact as it is that they have concluded he'll be a huge contributor?

[quote name='happyrid' post='458394' date='Mar 18 2007, 03:08 PM']I agree that the Bengals probably have a pretty good idea of how good of a player Forstee will be in their system after watching him last TC. But, who is to say that they don't view him as a huge disappointment and a bit of a bad pick? Isn't it just as possible that they have concluded that Frostee is just a role player and will never make an impact as it is that they have concluded he'll be a huge contributor?[/quote]

Sure, that's possible. I didn't read anywhere that he was viewed as a disappointment, but who knows. He had a bum shoulder, so I would expect that with an entire year of rehab, he should be a lot better off. In the pre-season games, I thought he "played bigger" than his size, at least vs. the run.

I think that if the Bengals go after a pass-rushing DE early in the draft, that'll say something about how they view Rucker. Even if they liked what they saw from him last year, I would have franchised Justin - whether it's to do a long-term contract, use him for a year to make sure they have solid DE play without him, or trade him if they get a good deal in return.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='texbengal' post='458422' date='Mar 18 2007, 06:00 PM']Sure, that's possible. I didn't read anywhere that he was viewed as a disappointment, but who knows. He had a bum shoulder, so I would expect that with an entire year of rehab, he should be a lot better off. In the pre-season games, I thought he "played bigger" than his size, at least vs. the run.

I think that if the Bengals go after a pass-rushing DE early in the draft, that'll say something about how they view Rucker. Even if they liked what they saw from him last year, I would have franchised Justin - whether it's to do a long-term contract, use him for a year to make sure they have solid DE play without him, or trade him if they get a good deal in return.[/quote]

I haven't read anywhere or heard anything that indicated he was necessarily viewed as a disappointment either. On the other hand, I haven't heard even a peep of positive news about him or how he is going to help us or anything. The complete silence may simply be due to legal problems. On the other hand, we know that the Bengals really like Bennie Brazelle, even though he missed the entire season. 2 years ago, Adam Kieft was injured in training camp similar to Frostee and we heard that the Bengals really liked him, thought he had a bright future, etc. 3 years ago, Perry missed the whole year, but we kept hearing how big of a part of our future plans he was and what not. I guess I have just taken the complete silence in regards to Frostee as somewhat of a negative. I'm not sure that he's a bust or anything, but I'm not completely convinced that he isn't either, if that makes sense.

[quote name='happyrid' post='458426' date='Mar 18 2007, 05:11 PM']I haven't read anywhere or heard anything that indicated he was necessarily viewed as a disappointment either. On the other hand, I haven't heard even a peep of positive news about him or how he is going to help us or anything. The complete silence may simply be due to legal problems. On the other hand, we know that the Bengals really like Bennie Brazelle, even though he missed the entire season. 2 years ago, Adam Kieft was injured in training camp similar to Frostee and we heard that the Bengals really liked him, thought he had a bright future, etc. 3 years ago, Perry missed the whole year, but we kept hearing how big of a part of our future plans he was and what not. I guess I have just taken the complete silence in regards to Frostee as somewhat of a negative. I'm not sure that he's a bust or anything, but I'm not completely convinced that he isn't either, if that makes sense.[/quote]

Actually, I do recall Jay Hayes talking positively during TC about Frostee's "heavy hands" that allow him to stun bigger Ts at the point of attack.

As you say, there wasn't a ton of hype about Frostee -- relative to Bennie, for example, but I haven't read into that in a negative way. Hell, there was a lot of hype about AJ Nicholson, and he did squat last year... and I wonder how much Brazelle would have done had he not been injured.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='458330' date='Mar 18 2007, 11:51 AM']But our defense only uses 2 ends, and we already have 2 good starters and a young 3rd round guy, so while it may be a strength you can't have 5 ends on the field at the same time.[/quote]

actuly you can in some packages the giants had strahan, umenyiora, kiwanuka, and tcuk on the field on the same time, or three of those guys , we definatly could do that with carriker at DT and probly with woodley at a rush LB

i just thought i'd point that out

Archived