5 Draft Questions

Guest happyrid

Guest happyrid
1. What LB position do we need most and how do you see the current guys fitting in?

2. Are Ronnie Ghent, Guenther and those guys that we have good enough to be our #2 TE if we miss out in the draft again?

3. With the question marks surrounding Henry, TJs contract expiring soon, K Wash leaving as a FA, and Perry, Chatman and Brazelle all attempting to come back from serious season ending injuries, should the Bengals look hard at a second day WR?

4. If the Bengals were to draft a S in the first round (let's for the sake of this question assume Reggie Nelson), who would be our starters in the secondary and at what positions?

5. If the Bengals go DT at any point, would you prefer a big space eater or a penetrating DT/DE tweener type?

Guest happyrid
[quote name='happyrid' post='459733' date='Mar 21 2007, 10:36 AM']I'll go first, though I asked the questions because I'm not really sure about the answers and am mainly curious of everyone else's opinion.

1. What LB position do we need most and how do you see the current guys fitting in? [b]I think we need a weakside guy as I see Brooks and Thurman in the middle and Jeanty and Henderson on the strongside, though I'm really not sure where Brooks fits and if Thurman will be back, so I could see a MLB also. I kind of think Landon is currently the weak link, but could be convinced otherwise.[/b]

2. Are Ronnie Ghent, Guenther and those guys that we have good enough to be our #2 TE if we miss out in the draft again? [b]I think maybe Ghent could be a pretty solid player.[/b]

3. With the question marks surrounding Henry, TJs contract expiring soon, K Wash leaving as a FA, and Perry, Chatman and Brazelle all attempting to come back from serious season ending injuries, should the Bengals look hard at a second day WR? [b]I'm starting to think maybe it might be, especially if somebody like Tab Perry may be brought back very slowly as Hobson said recently. I like that Walker guy from UCF. Plus, Carson can never have too many weapons and our WRs seem to thrive on competition[/b]

4. If the Bengals were to draft a S in the first round (let's for the sake of this question assume Reggie Nelson), who would be our starters in the secondary and at what positions? [b]I'm really not sure. I'd guess Madieu would move to corner and Nelson-Djax would start, but I could also see Madieu-Nelson starting and Djax in a backup role.[/b]

5. If the Bengals go DT at any point, would you prefer a big space eater or a penetrating DT/DE tweener type? [b]I'd prefer a smaller tweener type personally because of our lack of pass rush up the middle.[/b][/quote]

Answers in Bold.

[quote name='happyrid' post='459733' date='Mar 21 2007, 10:36 AM']1. What LB position do we need most and how do you see the current guys fitting in?
[b]I think we need Weak the most, but if Willis is there, I have no problem drafting a MLB and moving Brooks outside. I thing the most important thing we need to do is upgrade the overall talent on defense.[/b]

2. Are Ronnie Ghent, Guenther and those guys that we have good enough to be our #2 TE if we miss out in the draft again?
[b]No. But I haven't seen the progress they have made.[/b]

3. With the question marks surrounding Henry, TJs contract expiring soon, K Wash leaving as a FA, and Perry, Chatman and Brazelle all attempting to come back from serious season ending injuries, should the Bengals look hard at a second day WR?
[b]Not this year. I think all the injured WRs will be fine.[/b]

4. If the Bengals were to draft a S in the first round (let's for the sake of this question assume Reggie Nelson), who would be our starters in the secondary and at what positions?
[b]Deltha and JoJo at corner. D-Jax and Madieu at Safety. Unless by some miracle we get Landry, who would automatically start at SS, it wouldn't surprise me if the drafted safety becomes the passing down safety either replacing Dexter on obvious passing downs, or moving Deltha to the 3rd CB. Which is why I think unless Landry falls, safety will probably be a second or later round player we can develop to replace Dexter as he gets older.[/b]

5. If the Bengals go DT at any point, would you prefer a big space eater or a penetrating DT/DE tweener type?
[b]With the departure of Smith, and the age of Adams, think a big guy would be the better pick right now. Unless they can get someone like Tommie Harris who is lightning at DT.[/b][/quote]

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='happyrid' post='459733' date='Mar 21 2007, 10:36 AM']1. What LB position do we need most and how do you see the current guys fitting in?

[b]WLB-Johnson
MLB-Brooks
SLB-Jeanty

IMO we need a SLB the most, but most of our guys have played more than one position. If Thurman returns Brooks could be our SLB. We can pretty much fit any LB available in the draft into a spot somewhere.[/b]

[b]Ghent runs a 5.0 forty. He couold be covered by a DT. Don't know enough about Guenther to speculate, but it doesn't take much to be our #2 TE.[/b]

[b]No need to draft a WR. Last year we drafted two and signed one as a FA. But if we do, the late round steal of the draft will be Jayson Swain out of Tennessee.[/b]

[b]Anyone other than Landry would be a back up. However as much a Jackson gets injured (missed 19 of last 48 games, four years since he played a full season) there is a good chance that a first round pick could get some starts. Madieu will stay at safety.[/b]

[b]NO MORE LARD ASSES!![/b][/quote]

[quote name='happyrid' post='459733' date='Mar 21 2007, 09:36 AM']1. What LB position do we need most and how do you see the current guys fitting in?

[b]I'd say right now, it looks like:

WLB - Johnson, Frazier, Berryman
MLB - Brooks, Miller, Thurman (?), AJ
SLB - Jeanty, Henderson, Pollack

As such, unless they move Brooks to WLB, that's the weakest spot. I know Marvin doesn't like to talk about weak vs. strongside, etc. I agree that of the starters, Landon concerns me the most - he makes tackles, but I thought he regressed last year.

Somebody like Willis, Beason, David Harris, or Posluszny can play multiple positions, and there are others in the draft who could as well.[/b]

[b]IMO, no. I thought they might sign a 2nd string TE via FA, and they still might (Aaron Shea, for example). If they don't go that route, I'd expect a 2nd day pick there. One name (in the "those guys" category) to consider that's on the PS now is Tim Day. I liked him coming out last year, but he had slumped some as a senior after being highly rated after his junior year.[/b]

[b]I don't think so... but it wouldn't surprise me, either. Sounds like the injured guys are healthy again, and you've got Skyler Green, Glenn Holt, and Reggie McNeal with a year of experience, which could help also.[/b]

[b]I still think it'd be Delta, J-Joe, Madieu, and Dex, barring injury. I would hope that the safety would be out there on nickel and/or dime packages, though. Assuming Bauman doesn't come back, candidates now for the nickel are Greg Brooks and Keiwan, and both aren't really proven players (I'm rooting for Keiwan, but he disappointed in 2006).[/b]

[b]Doesn't matter - just get someone who makes plays. You could argue that Peko can do both, whereas Fat Sam and Thornton are more one-dimensional. [/b][/quote]

Guest happyrid
[b]Tex[/b], I forgot to add Tim Day. He was a guy who a lot of people had us taking in their mocks at about this exact time last year. I think I'd like a rookie, but if we are going to wait until the second day, I don't know that the rookie will necessarily be better than the older more experienced guys we have.

[b]Fred[/b], could you tell me a bit more about Swain? I know you are a Tennessee homer, so any insight would be appreciated. Also, where do you see Wade being taken? What are your thoughts on him?

Lastly, I'm a little surprised that people don't think Reggie Nelson would be one of our 4 best DBs and knock somebody out of a starting job. It's not very often that a safety who is a first rounder isn't starting very early in his rookie year. I honestly can't think of one in recent years that hasn't.

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='happyrid' post='459907' date='Mar 21 2007, 02:12 PM'][b]Fred[/b], could you tell me a bit more about Swain? I know you are a Tennessee homer, so any insight would be appreciated. Also, where do you see Wade being taken? What are your thoughts on him?[/quote]

Swain was one of the highest rated WRs in the country coming out of high school. He has all the tools; size (6'1", 205), speed, and good hands. He played a lot as a feshman, but never had a big year until his senior season. The passing game was really down at Tennessee from '03 to '05. Not even Robert Meachem could put up any decent numbers. In '06 when David Cutcliff was hired as the new OC and Trooper Taylor was moved to WR coach both Swain and Meachem exploded. In fact until Swain was injured his numbers through 4 1/2 games (22 rec, 378 yds, 17.2 avg, 5 tds, 3 50+ yard receptions) were just about as good as Meachem's. He finished the season with 49-688, 14.0, 6 td in 11 games. His injury was only a sprained ankle, but he was not 100% until near the end of the season. He has no other history of injury problems. I expect him to open some eyes at UTs pro day. If he runs and jumps like I think he will (and if he is really 6'1") then he could go as high as the third round, but more likely the fourth.

Wade was listed as 6'0", 195 at Tennessee, however he turned out to really be 5'10". He STARTED as a freshman at WR for the Vols, and has only played two full seasons at CB. He is still a little raw, but he led the SEC and finished in the top ten in the nation in passes defended. He is not a head hunter, but he is a good wrap up tackler. I see him going in the late second or third round.

Guest happyrid
[quote name='fredtoast' post='459936' date='Mar 21 2007, 02:44 PM']Swain was one of the highest rated WRs in the country coming out of high school. He has all the tools; size (6'1", 205), speed, and good hands. He played a lot as a feshman, but never had a big year until his senior season. The passing game was really down at Tennessee from '03 to '05. Not even Robert Meachem could put up any decent numbers. In '06 when David Cutcliff was hired as the new OC and Trooper Taylor was moved to WR coach both Swain and Meachem exploded. In fact until Swain was injured his numbers through 4 1/2 games (22 rec, 378 yds, 17.2 avg, 5 tds, 3 50+ yard receptions) were just about as good as Meachem's. He finished the season with 49-688, 14.0, 6 td in 11 games. His injury was only a sprained ankle, but he was not 100% until near the end of the season. He has no other history of injury problems. I expect him to open some eyes at UTs pro day. If he runs and jumps like I think he will (and if he is really 6'1") then he could go as high as the third round, but more likely the fourth.
Wade was listed as 6'0", 195 at Tennessee, however he turned out to really be 5'10". He STARTED as a freshman at WR for the Vols, and has only played two full seasons at CB. He is still a little raw, but he led the SEC and finished in the top ten in the nation in passes defended. He is not a head hunter, but he is a good wrap up tackler. I see him going in the late second or third round.[/quote]

Thanks, I would like Wade in the 3rd. I'd even consider him in the 2nd, but it sounds like he doesn't really fit the mold of the tougher CB that Marvin seems to be looking for.

[b][color="#FF0000"]Definitely weakside.
SLB: Jeanty, Henderson, Frazier, Pollack someday
MLB: Brooks, Maybe Thurman, Nicholson
WLB: Johnson, Miller[/color][/b]

[b][color="#FF0000"]No.[/color][/b]

[b][color="#FF0000"]Hell no. TJ's contract doesn't expire until after 2008 season, and we have so many young talented guys at receiver it would be a complete waste of roster space.
Chad
TJ
Henry
Chatman
Tab
Brazelle
McNeal
Holt
Green

I think we are good for a while.[/color][/b]

[b][color="#FF0000"]CB Deltha
FS Madieu
SS Jackson
CB Joseph

Nelson would get a lot of playing time, but not as a starter.[/color][/b]

[b][color="#FF0000"]
Definitely a penetrating type tackle. Peko has the role of space eater under wraps, it's time to bring in someone who can collapse a pocket and put some pressure on the QB.[/color][/quote][/b]

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='fredtoast' post='459936' date='Mar 21 2007, 02:44 PM']Swain was one of the highest rated WRs in the country coming out of high school. He has all the tools; size (6'1", 205), speed, and good hands. He played a lot as a feshman, but never had a big year until his senior season. The passing game was really down at Tennessee from '03 to '05. Not even Robert Meachem could put up any decent numbers. In '06 when David Cutcliff was hired as the new OC and Trooper Taylor was moved to WR coach both Swain and Meachem exploded. In fact until Swain was injured his numbers through 4 1/2 games (22 rec, 378 yds, 17.2 avg, 5 tds, 3 50+ yard receptions) were just about as good as Meachem's. He finished the season with 49-688, 14.0, 6 td in 11 games. His injury was only a sprained ankle, but he was not 100% until near the end of the season. He has no other history of injury problems. I expect him to open some eyes at UTs pro day. If he runs and jumps like I think he will (and if he is really 6'1") then he could go as high as the third round, but more likely the fourth.[/quote]

Sorry, but I didn't realize that Swain ran a 4.63 at the combine. I didn't even think he was invited. Anyway he was supposed to be able to run a 4.45. That would have put him in the third or fourth round. At 4.63 He will be a late round pick.

1. What LB position do we need most and how do you see the current guys fitting in?
[b]weakside would help out but if we get a stud at any of the three i would be thrilled
SLB: Jeanty, Henderson, Fraiser ( assuming no pollack)
MLB:Brooks, Miller ( assuming no thruman)
WLB: Johnson, ( i have dallas starz inmy mock but i don't know if he is strong or weak)[/b]

[b]i'd feel better if we drafted a TE but Guenther has the best chance of those guys becuase he has played in a few NFL games he could be the #3 TE[/b]

[b]no we have plenty ofrecivers to choose from for our roster and practice squad and i am sure T.J. would resign[/b]

[b]it would still be Madieu and Jackson for this year but hte rookie would get snaps and take over in 08[/b]

[b]a penetrator becuase w still have Adams and Domata is a big guy, Carriker would be a good pick for us[/b]

Archived