Must be 21 to Buy Beer

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
I am over 21 so this doesn't affect me anymore but I never understood the logic.... :huh:

It amazes me is that at 18, 19 and 20 years old one can legally…

- Buy a shotgun
- Get Married
- Die in a War
- Create a child
- Have Sex
- Pick the next president
- Drive a 2,000 lb. weapon (car)
- Fly a plane
- Buy Tobacco
- Play the lottery
- Buy a sword, knife, machete, baseball bat, cross bow, etc.
- Have a credit card
- Possess a machine gun (as long as it says U.S. army on it)
- Purchase a prostitute (in Nevada)

[color="red"][u]But you can not legally drink a beer![/u][/color] :blink:

I’ll let you decide the rationality of this one ?????????????

I also love the irony that once you do achieve this epiphany that you are responsible on your 21st birthday ... you celebrate by getting more shit faced than you ever will for the rest of your life... ;)

Drinking afe should be lowered to 18 in my opinion.

Guest BlackJesus
[color="blue"][i]The above post was brought to you by the United Coalition of Beer Bong Enthusiasts[/color][/i]

[img]http://psych.wisc.edu/henriques/resources/Beer%20Funnel.gif[/img]

Guest bengalrick
alcohol is the devil!!! we should go back to the prohibition days...

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] j/k... i do know, for one reason or another, i seemed to be much, much more mature at 21 than i was at 18... that has a little to do w/ it... putting it in context w/ the army and voting puts i different spin on it though...

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='Feb 23 2005, 04:20 PM']That law never stopped me from drinking underage... just took a little longer to get the stuff.
[right][post="50468"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

the funny thing is, i hardly drink now that i'm over 21... only while watching the bengals games this year... seriously, thats the only times that i've drank this year... in the past, the beer helped me deal w/ the bengals, but now, the bengals help me drink the beer...

i figured out my love for the bengals... time to break out the tapes!!

[quote name='STRAYCAT' date='Feb 23 2005, 07:38 PM']Totally agree if you can fight for your country then you should have the right to
enjoy a cold brew. As soon as you are out of high school you should be considered an adult. Drunk driving knows no age  16-70 . It doesn't matter.
[right][post="50545"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

yea but u can see why its there, some people that just get out of high school are a bunch of dumbasses and don't realize that driving while there drunk isn't the greatest ideas and those idiots ruin it for the rest of us who are mature enough to handle drinking responsibly

[quote name='fancywhodey' date='Feb 23 2005, 07:45 PM']yea but u can see why its there, some people that just get out of high school are a bunch of dumbasses and don't realize that driving while there drunk isn't the greatest ideas and those idiots ruin it for the rest of us who are mature enough to handle drinking responsibly
[right][post="50546"][/post][/right][/quote]I know there is no right answer. Maybe if you serve in military you get the privlage,and I'm not talking rotc but real combat service. :mellow:

I was in elementary school when the legal age was raised in Ohio. I can still remember writing some kind of report for class about it and using the same arguements we're talking about here. As I recall, the biggest reason it happened was that the federal government was pushing it on the states by threatening to cut funding for any state that didn't raise the legal age to 21. It was total blackmail, but 100% legal...

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='Feb 23 2005, 07:52 PM']I was in elementary school when the legal age was raised in Ohio.  I can still remember writing some kind of report for class about it and using the same arguements we're talking about here.  As I recall, the biggest reason it happened was that the federal government was pushing it on the states by threatening to cut funding for any state that didn't raise the legal age to 21.  It was total blackmail, but 100% legal...
[right][post="50550"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
they were threatening to cut funding for highways and thats why states had to raise it

[quote name='STRAYCAT' date='Feb 23 2005, 07:56 PM']The same thing will happen no matter. Under age ones will get it,just a little harder. I still remember getting 3.2 beer but wanted the 6%. You will do what it takes.
[right][post="50557"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
i have plenty of ways to get beer so its not to much of a trouble, but shitty thing is i can't just go to a bar and order one so its kinda gay

[quote name='fancywhodey' date='Feb 23 2005, 07:58 PM']i have plenty of ways to get beer so its not to much of a trouble, but shitty thing is i can't just go to a bar and order one so its kinda gay
[right][post="50558"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I have a nephew in the service serving on the USS JFK aircraft carrier,he had to go thru sneaking

[quote]I know there is no right answer. Maybe if you serve in military you get the privlage,and I'm not talking rotc but real combat service. mellow.gif[/quote]

i think thats a good idea and maybe even people who don't have police records cause that would include me :D even though i have no idea how they would check that but i'd be a big fan of it :D

[quote name='fancywhodey' date='Feb 23 2005, 08:11 PM']i think thats a good idea and maybe even people who don't have police records cause that would include me :D   even though i have no idea how they would check that but i'd be a big fan of it :D
[right][post="50565"][/post][/right][/quote]Well the one thing we all know it is because of hwy funding for now which
was posted earlier. I'm done with this thread. ;)

Guest BengalsOwn
I agree with the law. When I was 16-19, I had a bad drinking problem. If the law was 18, it would have been worse because I would have had several friends who could buy it for me anytime I wanted.

I am 100x more mature at 21 than I was at 18.

Also, most 18 year olds are still in high school. You'd have widespread underage drinking every weekend, and lots of drunk driving problems.

Archived