Must be 21 to Buy Beer

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
Maybe the Question then should be ......

Should the age of Independence be raised to 21 .... and then you should have to wait to do all of the things I mention above until you are 21.... Hell tack on 3 more years of highschool and go to the 15th grade and make the voting age and military age 21. etc.... ???????

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Feb 23 2005, 11:33 PM']Maybe the Question then should be ......

Should the age of Independence be raised to 21 .... and then you should have to wait to do all of the things I mention above until you are 21.... Hell tack on 3 more years of highschool and go to the 15th grade and make the voting age and military age 21. etc....  ???????

[right][post="50690"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

They're just trying to protect kids in high school. It's not that big of a deal. If they lowered it to 20 that'd be fine, but 18 is too young. Just imagine all the arrests for buying alcohol for underage kids, DUI arrests, deaths from drunken driving, etc. Jails are full enough.

Not being able to buy alcohol until 21 probably saved my life, along with probably 25 others in my class, and who knows how many underclassmen.

Guest BlackJesus
[color="blue"]Own I get what you are saying.....

I also then think this should apply to an 18 year old kid buying a shotgun..... deciding to get married, flying an airplane etc...[/color]

Guest BengalsOwn

How does an 18 year old getting married put others in danger, or provide people under 18 harmful things? I married my wife when she was 18 and I was 19, and that has worked out real well, my parents did the same thing in 1978 and haven't had any problems.

I was married for a little over a year before I was allowed to buy alcohol, but it didn't really bother me. Sure it sucked signing over that big check for property taxes, or dealing with dumbass tennants, or dealing with a nagging wife every once and a while, and not being able to have a cold one legally, but I know that it's for everyone's own good.

Even though it is illegal to drink under 21, I can guarantee there are 1000x more cases of deaths or legal trouble having to do with alcohol than there is with an 18 year old being able to buy a gun.

As for the airplane thing, who the hell flies a plane at 18 :D

Most car rental places won't let you rent a car if you're under 24 or something like that. Now THAT I have a problem with.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Feb 24 2005, 02:39 AM']As for the airplane thing, who the hell flies a plane at 18 :D [/quote]
The only age restriction the FAA has for flying is that you cannot fly solo until you are 16. Technically you could take the yoke before you learn to crawl (although you won't find me in the passenger seat if you do :) )

Guest BlackJesus

[b]Yeah I support lessening Laws and then strictening Punishments....

For instance First DUI you lose your license for 10 years and pay a 10,000 $ fine.

Second offense you lose your license for life and have to go to a labor camp for 2 years.

As for Marriage and guns and the other Laws....

I would argue that noone at 18 is mature enough to commit to a life of Marriage, regardless of how much they think they love eachother at the time... they may stay together for 50 years... but only because of convenience and the Woman most likely will be hating the last 30 years.

As for Guns that age should be raised to 25 in my opinion. It should be 22 to even enter the miltary as well in my mind. Society likes young soldiers because they are nieve and not tied down with many children etc... but there is a maturity level I think that should be reached before we say.... Here is a Gun go shoot stuff.

My problem with the drinking age is the inconsitency not necessarily the fact that it is 21 years old ;) .[/b]

I kind of agree with making the age of
independence at 21....no extra school or anything
like that but you are definately more mature...
I was able to drink beer at 19 and made the
grandfather clause when they raised it to 21...
I'm surprised I'm not dead with the partying
I did....I was a full blown knuckle-head till
I met my husband at 28....

do I even have a liver?

Guest oldschooler

I remember when I was a teen-ager in the 80`s.... :blink:
They used to have what they called 3.2 beer that you could buy
if you were 18 or older. You had to be 21 to buy 6.0 beer, wine
and liquor. When they changed the law to where you HAD to be 21
to buy alcohol ...then they just did away with 3.2 beer.

Ahhhhhh the days of 3.2 beer and nickelbags....those were
the "good ole' days. [img]http://www.imagemagician.com/images/nebsmak/emotes/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Feb 24 2005, 03:41 AM'][b]I would argue that noone at 18 is mature enough to commit to a life of Marriage, regardless of how much they think they love eachother at the time... they may stay together for 50 years... but only because of convenience and the Woman most likely will be hating the last 30 years. 
[/size].[/b]
[right][post="50767"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

How do you know this?

Just curious.

I guarantee that this doesn't happen everytime, my parents are great together.

And who knows how me and my wife will do, but so far it's been great, and gets better all the time. I agree for some people they shouldn't get married at 18, hell some shouldn't have a license at 18, but I think the maturity level in people 18-20 varies greatly.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='Feb 24 2005, 06:18 PM']How do you know this?

Just curious.

I guarantee that this doesn't happen everytime, my parents are great together.

And who knows how me and my wife will do, but so far it's been great, and gets better all the time. I agree for some people they shouldn't get married at 18, hell some shouldn't have a license at 18, but I think the maturity level in people 18-20 varies greatly.
[right][post="51150"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
i agree some people are mature enough some people aren't thats why the drinkin age is 21 cause theres more people that aren't mature at 18 than people that are

i've never been in a car accident or got a ticket or ever got in trouble wit police but i do my fair share of drinking without ever getin behind a wheel i feel i'm mature enough to handle drinkin but i do know a lot of people my age who aren't as smart

Archived