BJ has his sharks, I have my pit bulls

Nati Ice

[quote name='mongo' post='630216' date='Feb 5 2008, 09:21 AM']It's both the breed and ownership. Pit bulls can be trained to be very loving, and fantastic dogs to their owners... They are also less caring about other people, and are genetically aggressive to other animals. I couldn't care a bit about an owner who gets mauled by his/her own pit. What's gonna suck is when one gets loose and kills my dog/mauls me. Pets get loose all the time. It happens. A loose pit is way bad, and doesn't need an abusive owner to flip an evil switch in it's head.

Every pit bull in the world is born animal aggressive at the least, and aggressive to humans at worst. Please refrain from sarcasm, and silly machismo.[/quote]

All dogs are born with the ability to be aggressive. My rottie is aggressive when I'm wrestling with her or we play tugofwar with her rope toy. Aggressive doesn't mean they're sick, twisted fucks. Just because a dog has a tendency to be aggressive if a situation arises, it doesn't mean that all dogs like that are the same. Get real. If a dog snaps and just goes crazy and essentially guts a little kid, they most likely weren't trained properly.

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='630689' date='Feb 7 2008, 04:16 AM']All dogs are born with the ability to be aggressive. My rottie is aggressive when I'm wrestling with her or we play tugofwar with her rope toy. Aggressive doesn't mean they're sick, twisted fucks. Just because a dog has a tendency to be aggressive if a situation arises, it doesn't mean that all dogs like that are the same. Get real. If a dog snaps and just goes crazy and essentially guts a little kid, they most likely weren't trained properly.[/quote]

1st off, most people (not necessarily you) who play tug with a dog are doing it wrong...Dogs view it as a test of dominance, and you can't ever let them think they won. 2nd, if a dog is going to snap, isn't it better if it's not a pit? 3rd, bird dogs have a huge propensity for killing small animals (cats, squirrels, ground hogs), and nobody's complaining about them. Why not?

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='630692' date='Feb 7 2008, 04:45 AM']1st off, most people (not necessarily you) who play tug with a dog are doing it wrong...Dogs view it as a test of dominance, and you can't ever let them think they won. 2nd, if a dog is going to snap, isn't it better if it's not a pit? 3rd, bird dogs have a huge propensity for killing small animals (cats, squirrels, ground hogs), and nobody's complaining about them. Why not?[/quote]

Great points.
Most people are not aware of the tug of war outcome. If the dog has certain issues you let it win and even then, not that much. I let my dog win [i]very seldomly[/i] w/no issues. I've also made a spring pole to build muscle, and tied ropes to objects that do not move.

Nobody's complaining about the "other" dogs because even if it's not a pit it's either a. not in the news or b. the news says it's a pit when it's obviously something else. I'm not arguing that their aren't pit attacks but, when another breed does, their's not as much news coverage. Pit bull attacks and sex sell.
One thing that I hate, being an owner, is that people with foofoo girly dogs don't think it's necessary to train them. Everyone thinks it's funny to see a little dog get bold but, those little dogs can put a scar on a childs face just as easy.

To me a potential owner of a pit should be screened as well as breeders. I was screened thoroughly and denied a lot until I made it right. To me, knowing how i am, it was too strict as is, but I was happy about that when thinking of all the irresponsible owners trying to get one. Now, the thing is, w/o laws anyone can get/breed this animal and sell them on the corner, or on craigslist, etc.

Genocide is just rediculous. To even think that shows what type of person you are.
I'm happy to take my dog out in public and see peoples reactions. Hopefully changing some minds. People come up to pet him at the mall then ask "what is he?". when i tell them pit bull, some back off. After just kneeling down and saying "you're a good boy! Yes you are!" they back off!
Some are suprised at how well behaved he is as well as loving humans (and animals).

To say my dog is certain to be animal aggressive is rediculous. I realise he has [u]potential[/u] but in no way is he. I care for sheep, chickens, pigs, peacocks, stray cats, and have 2 indoor cats. Never has he gotten or tried to get aggressive. He know's "gentle" when he's playing with smaller dogs or cats.

[quote name='DICKMAN' post='630707' date='Feb 7 2008, 11:20 AM']Great points.
Most people are not aware of the tug of war outcome. If the dog has certain issues you let it win and even then, not that much. I let my dog win [i]very seldomly[/i] w/no issues. I've also made a spring pole to build muscle, and tied ropes to objects that do not move.

Nobody's complaining about the "other" dogs because even if it's not a pit it's either a. not in the news or b. the news says it's a pit when it's obviously something else. I'm not arguing that their aren't pit attacks but, when another breed does, their's not as much news coverage. Pit bull attacks and sex sell.
One thing that I hate, being an owner, is that people with foofoo girly dogs don't think it's necessary to train them. Everyone thinks it's funny to see a little dog get bold but, those little dogs can put a scar on a childs face just as easy.

To me a potential owner of a pit should be screened as well as breeders. I was screened thoroughly and denied a lot until I made it right. To me, knowing how i am, it was too strict as is, but I was happy about that when thinking of all the irresponsible owners trying to get one. Now, the thing is, w/o laws anyone can get/breed this animal and sell them on the corner, or on craigslist, etc.

Genocide is just rediculous. To even think that shows what type of person you are.
I'm happy to take my dog out in public and see peoples reactions. Hopefully changing some minds. People come up to pet him at the mall then ask "what is he?". when i tell them pit bull, some back off. After just kneeling down and saying "you're a good boy! Yes you are!" they back off!
Some are suprised at how well behaved he is as well as loving humans (and animals).

To say my dog is certain to be animal aggressive is rediculous. I realise he has [u]potential[/u] but in no way is he. I care for sheep, chickens, pigs, peacocks, stray cats, and have 2 indoor cats. Never has he gotten or tried to get aggressive. He know's "gentle" when he's playing with smaller dogs or cats.[/quote]

Why surely you have a pit bull that's half ninja.........otherwise he would be attacking you and your animals at every opportunity (when you're not looking)

Disclaimer: In no way does my above post reflect my views on ownership of a pit bull or even their right to exist.

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='630692' date='Feb 7 2008, 07:45 AM']1st off, most people (not necessarily you) who play tug with a dog are doing it wrong...Dogs view it as a test of dominance, and you can't ever let them think they won. 2nd, if a dog is going to snap, isn't it better if it's not a pit? 3rd, bird dogs have a huge propensity for killing small animals (cats, squirrels, ground hogs), and nobody's complaining about them. Why not?[/quote]

Haha. My dog never wins tug of war. She knows who the boss is even if she is a big ass dog. If I'm tired of doing it, i just throw it somewhere and she runs off and jumps around with it in her mouth like she's the champion now or something. hahaha. I love dogs, man. Any type of dogs. Except poodles. Every single time (not exaggerating) that I've encountered a poodle, it ended up with the dog biting me. But I just stay away from them now whenever I see one.

Archived