US Open, anyone?

the us open today was the single greatest sporting event i have ever watched and i highly doubt it will EVER be topped. i couldnt turn away. i watch golf on tv a lot and i usually do other things while watching. i didnt do ANYTHING except during commercials.

my mom and sister even watched it and they NEVER watch golf.

i hated the outcome but it was the best thing ive ever seen.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='673712' date='Jun 17 2008, 04:14 PM']the us open today was the single greatest sporting event i have ever watched and i highly doubt it will EVER be topped. i couldnt turn away. i watch golf on tv a lot and i usually do other things while watching. i didnt do ANYTHING except during commercials.

my mom and sister even watched it and they NEVER watch golf.

i hated the outcome but it was the best thing ive ever seen.[/quote]
I was @ Pinehurst in '99, thanks to my brother-in-law landing a pair of tix from the USGA. It was amazing. The course was the most difficult/amazing thing I have ever seen. The greens were so fast.. and so mounded, that just getting the ball to stop on the green, even when chipping was a damn miracle.

Spent a good part of the day around 8-9-10. Was there to watch Daly @ 8 when he had several putts come back off the green to the same spot, only to finally decide to smack one back up the hill while it was still rolling down to his feet. :o

I watched 6 successive groups (18 golfers) come to 9 (par 3), only to see 16 of them leave with bogey or worse. IIRC, Payne Stewart got the only par. Tiger got the only birdie. We estimated that the landing area on the green was about the size of a dinner plate. Go left/right/long/short of that tiny area, you were off the green. Tiger not only held the green, but holed the damn putt. You know he's good, but it's hard to categorize how good, until you've been there to see it with your own eyes. He's not my favorite personality on the course, but he is the most amazing golfer I will ever see in my lifetime. And I can't help but enjoy every minute of it.

He didn't win that week. The honor went to Payne Stewart. The guy who had been my favorite golfer for a decade. He always wore those silly pants. Always wore a smile on his face. Always seemed to be genuinely liked by everyone he came in contact with. Kinda reminds me of Rocco over the weekend, in that way..

Anywho, that is my greatest US Open memory.

But this week's is not far behind. I have to rank it above Pebble in 00 when Woods lapped the field. And over the British in 05 when Jack said goodbye to golf @ St.Andrews (I am still kicking myself for not going up on the train for that <_<) I think the only thing that will stop me from thinking this week was better than Pinehurst, is just the fact that I was there. But to even come close to that is amazing.

I have been so excited the last few nights that I've had trouble sleeping. I was up @ 2am to watch every hole live last night. Even though I was recording on the DVR as well.

Rocco may have lost, but he did something no one else has been able to do thus far. He made Tiger prove his greatness. He never rolled over and played dead. If that sudden death hole had been #1 and not #7, I fully believe he would have won. But it wasn't and he didn't. However, for a guy I hadn't seen in a match in forever, he made me cheer for him. He made me want to believe that he would be the one to beat Tiger. He made me feel sad that he didn't win. I have never felt that way about a tourney Tiger was in over the last 15 years or so, and that is just damn amazing.

Great week of golf.

</mindless rambling>

Archived