drafted(lions) cadet(c.campbell) recalled to duty

ickeyshuffler

Yea that's beyond shitty. :thumbsdown:

I understand that he voluntarily joined the Army, I have no problem with Campbell having to serve what he signed up for. I have a problem when they deceive, unintentionally, Campbell (especially since he might have thought about transferring had he his heart set on the NFL), and the Lions make an investment in him only to have the Army turn around and say "Nevermind."

I have no pity. David Robinson served his 2 years (instead of a normal 4) before he got to play, too. Why should this kid be any different?

As someone who went through the process (on multiple occasions) of trying to get into Annapolis, I have little sympathy for someone who has to honor their commitment after being privileged enough to get that education/opportunity. For free. Especially during wartime.

That said, come home safe, kid, and enjoy your NFL career. -_-

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='684814' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:16 PM']I have no pity. David Robinson served his 2 years (instead of a normal 4) before he got to play, too. Why should this kid be any different?

As someone who went through the process (on multiple occasions) of trying to get into Annapolis, I have little sympathy for someone who has to honor their commitment after being privileged enough to get that education/opportunity. For free. Especially during wartime.

That said, come home safe, kid, and enjoy your NFL career. -_-[/quote]

but to go back on there word 3 weeks before camp, and not tell him about it untill the night before camp is shit. I understand that he should honor his commitment, but that wasnt what the rules stated.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='684826' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:36 AM']but to go back on there word 3 weeks before camp, and not tell him about it untill the night before camp is shit. I understand that he should honor his commitment, but that wasnt what the rules stated.[/quote]
Yes, the timing sucks. I agree.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='684795' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:50 AM']Yea that's beyond shitty. :thumbsdown:

I understand that he voluntarily joined the Army, I have no problem with Campbell having to serve what he signed up for. I have a problem when they deceive, unintentionally, Campbell (especially since he might have thought about transferring had he his heart set on the NFL), and the Lions make an investment in him only to have the Army turn around and say "Nevermind."[/quote]
egg-zactly

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='684814' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:16 AM']I have no pity. David Robinson served his 2 years (instead of a normal 4) before he got to play, too. Why should this kid be any different?

That said, come home safe, kid, and enjoy your NFL career. -_-[/quote]

I agree with you completely.
How about this for a precedent:

[b][size=4]Roger Thomas Staubach[/size][/b], also known as Roger the Dodger, Captain Comeback, and Captain America, (born February 5, 1942 in [b]Cincinnati, Ohio[/b] (suburb of Silverton, Purcel High School grad) is a businessman, Heisman Trophy winner and legendary Hall of Fame quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys from 1969 until 1979. Staubach was key in developing the Cowboys to become America's Team and led the team to nine of the Cowboys record-setting twenty consecutive winning seasons. Staubach lead the Cowboys to their first Super Bowl victory and as a result he was named MVP in Super Bowl VI. Staubach was described by legendary coach, Tom Landry as, "possibly the best combination of a passer, an athlete and a leader to ever play in the NFL."
Staubach first achieved national attention when he was named the starting quarterback of the Navy football team in 1962. He was hailed by Navy coach Wayne Hardin as "the greatest quarterback Navy ever had." He helmed the team for three seasons, leading the Midshipmen to two victories in the Army-Navy Game and an appearance in the 1964 Cotton Bowl. In addition to earning the Heisman trophy by the seventh largest point margin, Staubach was elected to the College Hall of Fame in 1981.
[b][size=4]After[/size] his required service in the United States Navy, including a tour of duty in Vietnam[/b], Staubach joined the Dallas Cowboys. He led the club to four Super Bowl appearances, with victories in Super Bowl VI and Super Bowl XII. Staubach was named Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl VI. He was named to the Pro Bowl six times during his eleven-year NFL career.
(bolding and size adjustment mine for effect)

[quote name='High School Harry' post='685919' date='Aug 9 2008, 09:01 AM']I agree with you completely.
How about this for a precedent:

[b][size=4]Roger Thomas Staubach[/size][/b], also known as Roger the Dodger, Captain Comeback, and Captain America, (born February 5, 1942 in [b]Cincinnati, Ohio[/b] (suburb of Silverton, Purcel High School grad) is a businessman, Heisman Trophy winner and legendary Hall of Fame quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys from 1969 until 1979. Staubach was key in developing the Cowboys to become America's Team and led the team to nine of the Cowboys record-setting twenty consecutive winning seasons. Staubach lead the Cowboys to their first Super Bowl victory and as a result he was named MVP in Super Bowl VI. Staubach was described by legendary coach, Tom Landry as, "possibly the best combination of a passer, an athlete and a leader to ever play in the NFL."
Staubach first achieved national attention when he was named the starting quarterback of the Navy football team in 1962. He was hailed by Navy coach Wayne Hardin as "the greatest quarterback Navy ever had." He helmed the team for three seasons, leading the Midshipmen to two victories in the Army-Navy Game and an appearance in the 1964 Cotton Bowl. In addition to earning the Heisman trophy by the seventh largest point margin, Staubach was elected to the College Hall of Fame in 1981.
[b][size=4]After[/size] his required service in the United States Navy, including a tour of duty in Vietnam[/b], Staubach joined the Dallas Cowboys. He led the club to four Super Bowl appearances, with victories in Super Bowl VI and Super Bowl XII. Staubach was named Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl VI. He was named to the Pro Bowl six times during his eleven-year NFL career.
(bolding and size adjustment mine for effect)[/quote]

The only difference being he was aware of the situation beforehand and wasn't told otherwise. He didn't show up to Cowboys camp and then the Navy called and said "Oh btw, you gotta go to Vietnam, pack your stuff."

I know we're in a "war time" but there is no draft as of yet. Can't this guy just retire from the military? I really don't know the rules on this one but I thought you could opt out if it wasn't super emergency time.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='686169' date='Aug 11 2008, 01:21 AM']I know we're in a "war time" but there is no draft as of yet. Can't this guy just retire from the military? I really don't know the rules on this one but I thought you could opt out if it wasn't super emergency time.
MULLY[/quote]
I'm pretty sure if they could just "Opt Out", you wouldn't see as many people in the Military as you do. He can't "retire" because he hasn't served. Draft is irrelevant in this matter. He went to a service academy (on the tap of taxpayers) knowing full and well his obligation to service upon completion of his education, so I fail to understand where that was just forgotten.

That being said, the rules are the same for all services. The Army just interpreted it differently than the other academies. There is some argument in all of that as well, because the other service academies say what West Point was doing, was hindering their own recruiting. Anyway, I agree with service and have little issue with him being forced. The thing is, the decision had been made for over a week and they didn't tell him until the day prior to him reporting for camp. That in and of itself was a dick move on the part of the Army and a huge PR hit in the long run. Oh well...

Archived