How Much Do We Really Need a TE?

A fair bit of talk on this board about selecting a Tight End like Heath Miller in the draft.

While I agree that having superior personnel at a position drastically changes your game planning..some numbers to consider from Brat's two stints as an OC.

Brat's history. Catches made by the TE's

1995 - 1998, Seattle

1995: 40 recepions, 435 yards, 2 TDs
1996: 49 receptions, 497 yards, 2 TDs
1997: 43 receptions, 492 yards, 2 TDs
1998: 46 receptions, 436 yards, 4 TDs

His two main tight ends were Christian Fauria and Carlester Crumpler. At the time, I would say they were better than any we have right now. Fauria was a second rounder...I think. Crumpler was comparable to Schobel IMO, although he was a 7th round pick

With us:

2001 - Present

2001: 29 receptions, 281 yards, 1 TD
2002: 28 receptions, 218 yards, 2 TDs
2003: 58 receptions, 625 yards, 3 TDs
2004: 46 receptions, 334 yards, 5 TDs

Again a lot of your scheming depends on personnel, but a case can be made that even in our TE by committee approach...we are putting up the average numbers TE's in a Bratkowski system do. His system seems to be to use TE's as the safety outlet and make the majority of plays with the receivers. (which pretty much is how TE's are used league wide) Would this change if we had a premier TE like Gonzalez or Crumpler? Probably. A decent pass receiver changes defensive schemes, moves either a Linebacker or safety almost strictly into pass coverage. Allowing more room for the running game and more one on one coverage on receivers possibly...but overall...I would guess that by the numbers...our TE production is par for the course in a Brat system.

I wouldn't be happy if we got Heath Miller in the first round, because he is no better than Schobel. Most of what I have heard about our TE's is that it's blatantly obvious when we pass (Schobel) or we run (Kelly), and Miller is not a blocker, so again, it's pointless. I'd be happy with Alex Smith, he is the best all-around tight end, and worthy of a look in the second round.

I think the idea would be that if we had a RB who could act as more of a safety valve (Perry) and 3rd down receiver, then we can continue to use our TE's primarily as blockers.

My only problem with our TEs is that we are carrying four on the roster, and now that our depth is better I just can't see that continuing indefinitely. If we were only using three, we might have been able to give Mann or Broussard a better shot last year.

BZ

Guest OzBengal
Brat doesn't employ TEs in his scheme because we don't have any TEs to employ. We really need a tight end that can stretch the field so they don't double up on Chad. None of our current TEs can do that. I would love it if we got Matt Jones or Vincent Jackson and converted them to TE, they are exactly what we need.

Guest fredtoast
Many NFL teams are switching to the 3-4 as their base defense. That means that TEs will have to block more OLBs than DEs. Therefore a big blocking TE will not be needed as much. I think we need a faster, receiver type TE, but it is not one of our TOP priorities.

I believe that Chris perry will be effective as a safety valve type of receiver on third down. This will reduce the need for a good receiving TE some.

BTW I can't beleive that our TEs had 58 receptions for 625 yards in '03. Those are actually pretty good numbers.

You can argue this both ways.
Of course a premier TE would be helpful...but is it a glaring need that should be addressed in the early rounds of the draft?
Does our scheme on offense allow for a receiving TE? If Warrick returns healthy, we then have THREE viable options at WR that can more than spread the field, thereby requiring a RB or TE to stay home to pass block.
While I think we'll stand pat at TE, I also believe one of our TE's will be cut. We're carrying too much salary and dead weight at that position.

I would much rather we address our needs at either center, WR or a defensive position in the early draft.

But that's just me...

Personally, I think a big, physical WR lining up in the slot (creating all sorts of coverage mismatches) is much more in line with Bratkowski's offensive philosophy (remember he got a lot of it from Dennis Erickson when they were together at Eastern WA, Miami and Seattle), than a TE.

Which, to me, would make Vincent Jackson the perfect 2nd Rnd selection, IF a WR is what the Bengals staff decides what is needed.

Guest Claptonrocks
[quote name='jrandom42' date='Apr 12 2005, 04:35 PM']Personally, I think a big, physical WR lining up in the slot (creating all sorts of coverage mismatches) is much more in line with Bratkowski's offensive philosophy (remember he got a lot of it from Dennis Erickson when they were together at Eastern WA, Miami and Seattle), than a TE.

Which, to me, would make Vincent Jackson the perfect 2nd Rnd selection, IF a WR is what the Bengals staff decides what is needed.
[right][post="74498"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
I take it you mean a wideout the size of Vincent Jackson or Matt Jones huh?
Very intriguing thought I must say...I can still visualize either guy having a 5'9 corner on them in the endzone.....
If Warrick is still running ( if you could call it that ) like he did last week in the charity basketball game he wont make the team let alone an impact this year.
Hopefully he's healing and will contribute.....
I still think they worked Tab Perry out to draft him in the 6th round if he's there..

[quote name='Claptonrocks' date='Apr 12 2005, 02:40 PM']I take it you mean a wideout the size of Vincent Jackson or Matt Jones huh?
Very intriguing thought I must say...I can still visualize either guy having a 5'9 corner on them in the endzone.....[/quote]

Jackson is a legitimate 6' 5" and an easy 240 lbs. With hands big enough to palm a basketball, and a 39 in vertical leap, it's going to take a very special 5' 9" cornerback (like Darroll Green or Pat Fischer) to even think of attempting to cover him one on one. Even the Denver Post noted that Jackson is the same weight, 3 inches taller, can jump 6 inches higher and is noticibly faster than Denver starting linebackers Ian Gold and DJ Williams.

After seeing Jackson playing on tape, his style of play reminds me most of Hall of Famer Harold Carmichael. The same fluid stride, the same huge hands, the same fearlessness going over the middle, the same explosive leaping ability, the same strength to hang on to passes with defenders riding his back, it's all there. Personally, I think Vincent Jackson is going to be as good or better than Mike Williams, Matt Jones or Larry Brackens.

Guest mongoloido
I'll feel a lot better about our current TEs if Perry can be that elusive back with great hands that made him first round pick. As long as we have a receiving threat at TE or RB to give Palmer some checkdowns, I think we'll be one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

Archived