Aaron Curry

If the Bengals end up taking a linebacker in round one, Curry will be the guy. Pro Football Weekly has pretty good sources and they think he is a slam dunk top 5 pick. Here is an espn article on him winning the Butkus.

Wake's Curry wins Butkus Award

December 9, 2008 2:10 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Heather Dinich

This is a big deal. Huge.

Why? Because of the people who choose the Butkus Award winner.

AP Photo/Chuck Burton
Aaron Curry finished the regular season with 101 tackles.

The 51-person selection panel is comprised of NFL general managers, head coaches, defensive coordinators, personnel directors, head scouts, college head coaches, recruiting coordinators, three senior football journalists and four highly-regarded independent talent evaluators.

Those people thought Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry was better than Rey Maualuga of USC and the 2007 winner, James Laurinaitis from Ohio State. Curry also beat out Brian Cushing of USC and Mark Herzlich of Boston College, who finished fourth and fifth, respectively.

Herzlich is an outstanding defensive playmaker who was invaluable to his team, but it's always interesting to see what the guys in the NFL are thinking. Remember when Wake Forest played Clemson and there were about 40 scouts there? Yeah, well, many of them were there to see Curry.

Curry finished the 2008 regular season with 101 tackles (63 solo, 15 for loss). The team is No. 2 nationally in takeaways with 35, with Curry credited for three fumble recoveries and an interception.

Curry is the fifth linebacker from the ACC to win the Butkus Award. Others were E.J. Henderson of Maryland in 2002, Dan Morgan of Miami in 2000, Marvin Jones of Florida State in 1992, and Paul McGowan of Florida State in 1987.

Yeah he is by far the best linebacker in the draft. Size, strength, athletic ability, he can cover, stop the run, rush the passer and he is very intelligent. I have heard him compared to Karlos Dansby.

I really hope they pick Curry if they don't draft Andre Smith.

[quote name='Jason' post='731168' date='Dec 9 2008, 04:26 PM']Outstanding player, but IMO too far down on the list of needs to even consider taking him in the first round. Even if he can play MLB, that is currently 4th on my list of needs and SLB would be at 5.[/quote]

I don't think SLB is too far down on the list, but I don't think Curry is a top 5 pick. I'd love to have him, and if Oher and Smith are gone when we pick at #3, I'd give serious consideration to trading down to 7 or 8 and taking him and getting the extra pick. I can't see taking him in the top 5 though.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='731174' date='Dec 9 2008, 04:48 PM']I don't think SLB is too far down on the list, but I don't think Curry is a top 5 pick. I'd love to have him, and if Oher and Smith are gone when we pick at #3, I'd give serious consideration to trading down to 7 or 8 and taking him and getting the extra pick. I can't see taking him in the top 5 though.[/quote]

My Top 5 needs:

The Top 3, are 1a, 1b, and 1c really, and the order is flexible

1. DE
2. OT
3. C
4. MLB
5. SLB

Archived