INteresting opinion on Bengal LB's and Sharper

taken from [url="http://beyondthejungle.blogspot.com/"]http://beyondthejungle.blogspot.com/[/url]

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

No Sharper For Bengals.
In what will thankfully be my final post on the Jamie Sharper free-agent derby, it has been confirmed that Sharper signed with Seattle today. Contract terms are 5 years, $17.5 million with $1.5 million signing bonus and another $2.5 million in salary and roster bonuses during year one. The deal is heavily backloaded and will most likely have to be renegotiated after year 2.

So how do I feel about all this? My initial reaction is one of disappointment because we missed out on another highly-sought free agent. Sharper would have been a nice addition to our defense for the next 2-3 seasons. But "nice" is the key word because I don't believe for one second that we actually need Sharper to get us to the playoffs this season. We have 2 playmakers at LB (Simmons and Johnson) and even if Webster can't return to form, we have good enough depth to get the job done. Plus with the draft coming up, we have a chance to add a young MLB who can anchor the defense for far longer than just 2-3 years.

Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments.
- posted by Jonathan Sickinger @ 7:03 PM - PermaLink - 1 comments

English Bengal

Guest fredtoast
Although Johnson has shown some potential, but there is no way you can call him a "playmaker" yet.

Simmons is a true stud, but we need more than one good LB.

Any player we select in the draft will probably need time to develope.

That being said, I'm disappointed that we didn't get Sharper, but I think a 5 year contract is a bit excessive for a 31 year old player. Any A-list free agent over thirty is going to demand a long term contract. They know that it is their last chance to make the big money. If we ever want to sign one of these big name guys over 30 we will have to go with a long term contract. So I'll trust Marvin to decide who is worth one.

I like what I hear about Barret Rudd from Nebraska, but another interesting prospect that does not get much attention: Lionell Turner, LSU

Overall: Turner redshirted in 2000 and was a reserve linebacker in 2001 before becoming a starter on the outside in 2002, when he registered 9.5 sacks. Turner made the move from OLB to MLB and started all 14 games as a junior in 2003, finishing second on the team with 78 total tackles, including five TFL, three sacks and two INT's. He stayed at MLB as a senior in 2004 and finished with 82 total tackles, including five TFL and two sacks. Turner has some versatility having played WLB, SLB and MLB during his career at LSU. Turner has great experience and was very productive in the passing game  both as a blitzer and in coverage. He also is [u]an explosive hitter with very good size and upper body strength[/u]. However, while Turner is [u]quick and powerful[/u], he is not fast and he struggles to get through traffic . I don't want him chasing anyone, I just want him to smack the piss out of someone.
Great size: 6'2 3.8" 248lb with 4.9 speed.

2003 LSU did share the National Championship with USC

Guest oldschooler
I guess the Bengals didn`t want to invest as much money as Seattle was
willing to in a player they didn`t see as a long term solution.

Yeah Sharper has been solid for a few years in a row.
But I`m sure playing all of those games without missing a
play and making all of those tackles will starting wearing on his
body soon...well before those 5 years are up anyway.
Maybe Marvin didn`t want to have to cut him in the future and was
offering him a REAL contract that he would actually play out and receive
ALL of the money from ?

I wish they would have signed Sharper...but I wasn`t pinning
the hopes of our entire season on him...and obviously neither did his
"buddy" Marvin...

I don`t think we have much "proven depth" at LB though.

51 Kevin Hardy
52 Nate Webster
53 Khalid Abdullah
55 Marcus Wilkins
56 Brian Simmons
57 Allen Augustin
58 Caleb Miller
59 Landon Johnson
95 Larry Stevens

That`s all we got... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/17.gif[/img]

Lionel Turner BIO: [url="http://www.lsusports.net/index.cfm?md=personnel&tmp=bio&personnelid=353&category=FB"]http://www.lsusports.net/index.cfm?md=pers...353&category=FB[/url]

I think we need a real MLB!!!

Channing Crowder, Barret Rudd or my boy here (Lionell Turner)!

Odell Thurman would be good but IMO, is a James Frances/Brian Simmons OLB type.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='fredtoast' date='Apr 15 2005, 10:01 AM']Although Johnson has shown some potential, but there is no way you can call him a "playmaker" yet.

Simmons is a true stud, but we need more than one good LB.

Any player we select in the draft will probably need time to develope.

That being said, I'm disappointed that we didn't get Sharper, but I think a 5 year contract is a bit excessive for a 31 year old player.  Any A-list free agent over thirty is going to demand a long term contract.  They know that it is their last chance to make the big money.  If we ever want to sign one of these big name guys over 30 we will have to go with a long term contract.  So I'll trust Marvin to decide who is worth one.
[right][post="76093"][/post][/right][/quote]

Unfortunately Marvin doesn't cut the checks, the Brown family does. They have no clue of how to win, they have to realize that FA is not the time to add marginal players(can anyone name a big name FA we've signed ever?). Sharper has only missed one start during his whole career and that's because Marvin held him out, to say he only has 2-3 years left is ridiculous, it sounds like a lame ass attempt to justify not signing the biggest FA in franchise history. Everyone in the organization talks about changing the perception of the franchise, but by passing on the best FA prospect in years it seems like it's just lip service. I truly believe the Brown family doesn't want to win, they just want a competitive team that won't get them sued by the county.

Our lb corp is a huge question mark, lets break them down.

Simmons is his usual self, a stud whose ready to go. Landon has put on a few more pounds and he's ready to take his game to the next level. Nate says he'll be ready by the time the season starts, I sure as hell hope so. Hardy is probably the most knowledgable of them all, but he's a huge liability in pass coverage and should be replaced with a younger player(LIKE JAMIE SHARPER!!!!!!!!!! :angry2: ), but I digress. Miller says his injuries are behind him and he's ready to show what he can do, he's going to really have to step up this year. Abdullah is another player who was lost to injury last year and he's never had a chance to really prove himself, I hope he's able to step up as well. Marcus Wilkens is primarily a special teamer, he was the lb who didn't pressure Garcia on the play that went for a 99 yard td; so he's got some more learning to do. Stevens and Augustin are also primarily special team players, so who they will also need to take their games to another level. Currently we have 1 lb that's healthy with more than 3 years experience that could start for any team in the NFL, 1. How in the world could we low ball a big name FA who WANTED to play here(that never happens). I'm sure we will draft a lb, but what's wrong with getting a pro bowler in his prime, is that such a bad thing?

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Apr 15 2005, 02:37 PM'][i]Robert McCune I think is a possibility

Built like Hulk .... 26 year old mature ex soldier
[/i]
[right][post="76221"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Does his production match his physical attributes or he just a workout warrior who looks like pro bowler in shorts, but when you actually play he' s nowhere to be found? McCune sounds like a good prospect, I remember him at the combine, he's a well put together player. There's another player that reminds of McCune in his physical stature, James "Boomer" Grigsby from N.Illinios. Ol' Boomer was a highly productive player at a small university and he's built similar to McCune. He would be a good pickup in the 4th or 5th round.

[quote name='Lawman' date='Apr 15 2005, 11:54 AM']Lionel Turner BIO: [url="http://www.lsusports.net/index.cfm?md=personnel&tmp=bio&personnelid=353&category=FB"]http://www.lsusports.net/index.cfm?md=pers...353&category=FB[/url]

I think we need a real MLB!!!

Channing Crowder, Barret Rudd or my boy here (Lionell Turner)!

Odell Thurman would be good but IMO, is a James Frances/Brian Simmons OLB type.
[right][post="76119"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I had Lionel Turner in my one mock. I like him he has exellent size and is a sure tackler {reminds me alot of Jerimiah Trotter but obviously not as quick}. Plus we could probably get him in the 6th or 7th round.

Rudd, Thurman, Mclune, Crowder, Hill would be fine with me.

If Marvin thinks mlb is not a pressing need and we could get this guy in the 6th or 7th (could be a great pick) Something to chew on here, playing mlb he doesn't appear to be sitting back waiting on anyone; read on and see what I mean.

Over last 2 years with Turner at middle linebacker, the Tigers posted a 23-3 record and shared in a National Championship.

2004 – 2004 First-Team All-SEC (SEC Coaches
Recorded 82 tackles, 34 of which were solo tackles, in 2004
Had 9 tackles, 3 tackles for losses and 1 sack against Auburn

2003 - Honorable Mention All-SEC (AP))
Ranked second on team with 78 tackles, five of which went for losses
Finished season with a flurry, intercepting a pass and returning it 18 yards for a TD against Georgia in the SEC title game and then followed that with nine tackles and two sacks against Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl ... The two sacks vs. Oklahoma totaled 26 yards in losses and one came on a fourth-down situation for the Sooners with less than two minutes remaining in the game

[SIZE=7][color="blue"][b]Called the hardest-hitting linebacker in the SEC by the Sporting News in its 2003 preseason college football issue.[/[/b][/color]SIZE]
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2002)
Played in 12 games with 11 starts at Will linebacker (mlb- All-America Bradie James (now with the Dallas Cowboys)
Ranked third on the team with 71 total tackles, which included 39 solo
Second on squad with 9.5 tackles for losses
Had at least one tackle for a loss in eight of LSU's 13 games, including five of the Tigers' last six contests ... Capped season with five tackles, including one for an 8-yard loss vs. Texas in the Cotton Bowl.

REDSHIRT FRESHMAN SEASON (2001)

High School - First team Class 4A All-State ; Runner-up Class 4A Defensive MVP
He also made his presence felt on offense by catching 30 passes for 600 yards and 10 touchdowns ... All-District selection as a receiver ... Clocked at 4.6 in the 40 in high school

[quote name='EnglishBengal' date='Apr 15 2005, 09:26 AM']taken from [url="http://beyondthejungle.blogspot.com/"]http://beyondthejungle.blogspot.com/[/url]

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

No Sharper For Bengals.
In what will thankfully be my final post on the Jamie Sharper free-agent derby, it has been confirmed that Sharper signed with Seattle today. Contract terms are 5 years, $17.5 million with $1.5 million signing bonus and another $2.5 million in salary and roster bonuses during year one. The deal is heavily backloaded and will most likely have to be renegotiated after year 2.

So how do I feel about all this? My initial reaction is one of disappointment because we missed out on another highly-sought free agent. Sharper would have been a nice addition to our defense for the next 2-3 seasons. But "nice" is the key word because I don't believe for one second that we actually need Sharper to get us to the playoffs this season. We have 2 playmakers at LB (Simmons and Johnson) and even if Webster can't return to form, we have good enough depth to get the job done. [color="red"]Plus with the draft coming up, we have a chance to add a young MLB who can anchor the defense for far longer than just 2-3 years.[/color]
Feel free to add your thoughts in the comments.
- posted by Jonathan Sickinger @ 7:03 PM - PermaLink - 1 comments

English Bengal
[right][post="76080"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I, too, wanted Jamie Sharper. However, I agree we can fill our needs on the first day of the draft by going after a DT, LB, and the best defensive player on the third round.

Also English Bengal, give the French ****!

Archived