Possible Center in later rounds

Anthony Parker played OG very well at the University of Tennessee, and is projected as a 6th round pick. However, if he had came out after his junior year in 2007 he would have been a higher pick.

He has been a starter for 3 years (39 games). After his junior season that saw the Vols win the SEC Eastern Division and the Outback Bowl Parker was a consensus pick for First Team All-SEC and was named 3rd Team All-American by Rivals.

His senior year saw the arrival of a new offensive co-ordinator that used a unique blocking scheme. Guards and tackles didn't play "right side" or "left side", instead they flip-flopped sides from play to play depending on which was "strong side" and "weak side". The entire offense was a disaster (115th out of 119 Division 1-A teams), the Vols only won 5 games, and Parker's stock fell. He was only voted 2nd Team All-SEC in 2008.

His workout numbers are not bad. The 5.08 forty he ran at his pro day was faster than any guard at the combine, and his 24 bench reps was good enough for 8th among OGs at the combine.

The mainreason that I bring him up here is because he is being told to prepare to switch to center when he gets to the NFL because he is only about 6'2", 300. I think his stock dropped from after his junior year because of the terrible performance of the Vols offense. It was actually painful to watch them at times this year. I think his junior year was a better indicator of his abilities as a football player. So it looks like he may be a 3rd-4th round talent that can be had in the 6th or 7th round this year.

I don't expect him to step in as our starting center this year, but if the guys we had last year as back ups couldn't beat out Ghiaciuc then they may not be worth keeping.

here we go, its from PFT:

[quote]TCU CENTER IMPRESSES NFL SCOUTS
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 7, 2009, 3:30 p.m. EST
Athletic Texas Christian center [b]Blake Schlueter [/b]was snubbed by the Scouting Combine, but the undersized offensive lineman wowed scouts at a campus Pro Day on Friday morning, according to Gil Brandt of NFL.com.

Schlueter, [b]who has bulked up to 290 pound[/b]s after reporting to school as a 6-foot-2, 236-pound freshman, improved his stock as [b]a potential late-round selection [/b]with a 4.7 time in the 40-yard dash and a 35-inch vertical leap.

[b]Brandt compared Schlueter favorably to accomplished Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday when Saturday was a University of North Carolina senior.[/b]
“A pure athlete, everything you want out of a center except maybe size,” Brandt wrote of Schlueter. “I don’t know if a 290-pound guy can play center in the NFL, but he was 236 when he came to TCU and[b] still has room to grow[/b]. Probably moved into the seventh round with his performance on Friday. The guy’s a football player.”

Among the NFL brass attending the workout: Tennessee Titans national supervisor of college scouting C.O. Brocato [Editor’s note: hopefully for C.O, he’s not related to PFTV’s Joe Brocato], San Diego Chargers senior executive Randy Mueller, Carolina Panthers General Manager Marty Hurney, Pittsburgh Steelers special assistant Joe Greene, and Denver Broncos scouting consultant Cornell Green.

Per Brandt, [b]all 32 NFL teams were represented at the workout[/b]. Plus, retired NFL cornerback Deion Sanders was in the house along with several of his Prime U. students.[/quote]

Saturday took a few years to reach his top playing level so maybe this guy would be a practice squad player his first year or two in the league and then blossom once his body reaches an NFL level. On a side note, I noticed Atlanta tendered Ben Wilkerson so it looks like he may be in their plans down the road as a guard or center. I really wish we could have held on to him.

Archived