UFC 101

I don't know what the interest here is, so I am just going to write a couple of short things instead of the long paragraphs I normally would.

Kenny Florian had a terrible game plan and due to his lack of strength compared to BJ Penn he got it handed to him. KenFlo could have won, but he would have had to fight a perfect fight and with a gameplan around leg and head kicks, not push the stronger guy up against the cage.

Anderson Silva continues to show that he is the best P4P fighter. For the 3rd fight in a row he looked like Muhammad Ali as he toyed with his opponents because he had no respect for their abilities. This was the toughest fighter he has faced in the UFC and Griffin easily had 20 pounds on him when they got in the cage. Griffin has the biggest heart in the UFC and is non stop and constantly does damage to his opponents while taking damage himself and usually outwills his opponent for the win. Griffin landed 0 strikes in 4 minutes. Silva knocked Griffin down and instead of ending the fight with 1 more punch he helped Griffin get up. Then he knocked Griffin down again and instead of ending it helped him up again. Then he put his gloves down and told Griffin to hit him as he just moved his head around to dodge without using his hands to block at all. Then while taking steps back to avoid Griffins punches he landed a right straight as he was moving back that sent Griffin down and out. 3 knockdowns in under 4 minutes to a guy who usually doesnt get knocked down (especially in round 1). Silva threw like 12 strikes (punches and kicks) and landed them all. He continues to have the highest % of strikes landed in fighting history. He only landed 3 big strikes and with those 3 strikes he recorded 3 knockdowns (1 being a knockout) and dislocated Griffins jaw and left Griffin unable to hear out of his left ear.

It was the single greatest performance I have ever seen in anything. People I know who have been watching and training MMA for more than 2 decades said they have never seen such a scarier performance. The most amazing thing is Silva moved up from 185 to 205 where he is giving up serious weight to his opponents and still dominated and had the knockout power. Simply incredible.

[quote name='mtrbur' date='09 August 2009 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1249855525' post='789367']
yeah it was great... I'm a big Anderson fan... apparently Silva told Dana (via Ed Soares) that he wants a permanent move to 205... also it was nice to see BJ shut up Kenny Florian
[/quote]

I love Silva and Florian. I dont like BJ Penn at all. Florian had the worst gameplan. If he is going to try to do that then he needs to gain another 20 pounds of muscle to have a chance. Florian needed to live off of leg kicks and head kicks and move in and strike a combo then get out. He didnt play to his strengths. I think Diego Sanchez is the only guy who can match strength with Penn and that should be the next fight for Penn. Sanchez has the ability to take Penn down and has great wrestling, Penn has better jujitsu, but Sanchez isnt bad with his and Sanchez striking has improved so much in the past year. That is by far the most intriguing 155 matchup.

I know Silva said he would give up his 185 title to fight permanently at 205, that would be CRAZY. He would probably wipe the floor with every one in 205 too. If he does give away his 185 belt then Rich Franklin needs to move back down to 185.

[quote name='Andre87' date='10 August 2009 - 12:51 PM' timestamp='1249919509' post='789520']
Silva said they are too good of friends and the fight will never happen.
[/quote]
If Machida beats Shogun it's going to happen. If he wants to fight for the title, which he will, he has to fight Silva. Every UFC fan wants to see this fight and I think Dana will do whatever it takes to make it happen.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='09 August 2009 - 06:48 PM' timestamp='1249858113' post='789371']
fuck all of you, Kimbo is my man baby. i hope team rampage wins the show next month.
[/quote]

[img]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2937/kimbopetruzelliis.jpg[/img]

Archived