Injuries this week

[img]http://img.skitch.com/20091120-g5dxw3n27q726yewpdwctkfr9a.jpg[/img]
So we have Larry Johnson to fill in for Cedric Benson, Livings to start for Mathis, and Johnson to go again in place of Rivers... Then we have Nelson or Hebert to replace Crocker. I understand the Raiders aren't a good team, but I'm not real comfortable with either of those guys going at safety.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' date='20 November 2009 - 12:58 PM' timestamp='1258736290' post='830564']
i don't want to sound crazy, but is anyone starting to think that Brandon Johnson might just be a little better than Rivers ? or maybe, when BJ plays we do better ? i still love Rivers believe me, but thats kind been the thought in my head!
[/quote]

Eh, I think we are better when both of them are healthy. Rivers is very good at run D, and BJ is good at pass D and can also rush the QB. Thats why its perfect when they are both healthy and Rivers playing run downs and BJ playing pass downs.

[quote][size="6"]Notes: Johnson expecting to play[/size]

By C. Trent Rosecrans, CNATI.com Posted November 20, 2009 11:31 AM ET

Newly acquired Bengals running back Larry Johnson said he expects to play Sunday against the Raiders, while starter Cedric Benson said he'd be a "game-time decision" with a hip injury.
Benson has not practiced this week.

Signed on Tuesday, Johnson said he's comfortable enough with the Bengals playbook to face the Raiders, a team he's already played against this season when he was with the Chiefs.

"I'm going out there with the anticipation of playing, I don't know what they're doing numbers-wise, but I do know I'm going to be put in some of the packages and some of the plays, so we'll go from there," Johnson said.

When asked how many carries he could get, Johnson said he didn't want to put a number on it.

"Whatever they give me, I'll have to do the best I can do with it," Johnson said.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said he's been impressed with what Johnson has been able to do in a short period of time.

"I think he's been able to make the adjustments really quickly and done well, so I've been pleased," Lewis said after Friday's practice. "(He's) a smart, veteran guy. That's key. You're making associations with this is what I used to know and it's now this going forward."

Benson had been struggling with a hip flexor injury before last week's game with the Steelers, head coach Marvin Lewis said, and he missed the entire second half of the Bengals' victory in Pittsburgh. Rookie Bernard Scott carried a career-high 13 times against the Steelers, but he was also used in the return game and was successful in that role. Third-down back Brian Leonard has 11 carries this season. He has carried the ball 12 or more times five times in his career, including a 18-carry, 102-yard performance for the Rams against the Cardinals in 2007.

If Benson is not able to play, Johnson would likely get his fair share of carries. He had 16 carries for 49 yards in his last game for Kansas City, Oct. 25 against the Chargers. In all, he has 132 carries on the season. Johnson has 205 carries for the Bengals, with Scott getting 29 carries, the second-most on the team.

"I'll do whatever they ask me to do along with B-Scott and Leonard," Johnson said. "It'll be moved around a little bit, I wouldn't expect me to get a heavy load, but we're all going to do our part to come out with a win."

Last season, Benson was signed on a Tuesday and played that Sunday against the Cowboys, carrying the ball 10 times for 30 yards.

Johnson said he's comfortable enough with the playbook to do what he needs to do and although he was worried the most about pass protection, he's been able to pick up what the Bengals do well enough to play.

"The protection is a little easier to pick up (here)," Johnson said. "It's kind of the same thing, you know the primary rules of what you need to do and where you need to go. It's easier to pick it up."

He also said the Bengals' playbook is not as thick as the one he had in Kansas City and that the coaches have given him a more basic gameplan than he will get later.

"The playbook I'm used to when Al Saunders was the offensive coordinator was had the (biggest) I've ever had," Johnson said. "Coming in here, it was easy to pick up the basic stuff - that's all they wanted me to learn right now. There are more words than numbers, so you understand. I like words anyway, because then you can group things together."

The two-time Pro Bowler also said he feels refreshed after having nearly a month off of playing games, and noted the Bengals don't have as much contact in practice as the Chiefs did, so he should be physically ready for any number of snaps he gets against the Raiders.

"I guess everyone is working on full-season legs, I'm working on a half," Johnson said. "It'll be good that way and be real fresh."

CROCKER PRACTICES -- Bengals safety Chris Crocker was back at practice on Friday after missing the first two practices of the week.

"I feel like I'm ready to go," Crocker said before the team's practice when asked about his status for Sunday's game.

Guard Evan Mathis (ankle) and receiver Laveranues Coles (head) were also practicing on Friday.

Benson and linebacker Keith Rivers (calf) did not practice on Friday.

"(Mathis) is progressing faster than expected," Lewis said. "Keith's been doing well, too. If not this week, they'll both have a real good chance to play a week from now."

SCOTT TO CONTINUE RETURNING -- Just like last week, Scott will start the Bengals' game as the kick returner, Lewis said on Friday. However, the Bengals will "adjust" the return game a little with Scott's expected expanded role in the offense.

"Bernard will begin the game as kick returner," Lewis said.

Andre Caldwell had returned kicks until last week, but his role in the offense expanded when Chris Henry was lost fo rthe season with an arm injury.

"It allows us to get the snaps evened up," Lewis said. "Obviously we weren't being as productive and you have to do some things returning the ball differently with Bernard than with (Caldwell)."[/quote]

http://cnati.com/cincinnati-bengals/notes-johnson-expecting-to-play-00750/

Archived