Windows 7

So I bought a new computer last night with Windows 7. I'm not sure if this version comes with all the bloatware thay previous versions included but they didn't include an email package.

Are there any free email programs to download? Should I just use Road Runners web based email thing?

Funny, twenty years ago, I used to pick my ISP based on their email interface then converted to the MS default package and now I'm back to looking for a third party email program. Thanks.

Mozilla is an excellent client.

Windows 7 [b]does[/b] have an email client as well as other applications (mail, photo management, etc) but you have to download [url="http://download.live.com/"]Windows Live Essentials[/url] to get them. It's free, but they unbundled a lot of stuff in 7, probably to appease the EU...

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='05 December 2009 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1260063228' post='837012']
Windows Mail is downright awful. Outlook Express, which it replaced, was outstanding in comparison. Thunderbird is definitely the way to go, or Gmail, which now has an offline version available if you aren't keen on the whole browser-based email thing.
[/quote]

Good to know.

I hadn't actually [b]used[/b] the new mail client, so it's good to know that it's a pile of shit.

No surprise there though...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='05 December 2009 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1260070933' post='837041']
Another vote for gmail. I've never used Thunderbird, yet I use Firefox. Completely seperate, I presume? Also, what sets Mozilla's service ahead of the others (or gmail)?
[/quote]

Firefox and Thunderbird are both produced by the Mozilla Foundation.

I haven't used Google's client so I can't make a recommendation either way on that (though Google isn't known for making crap).

[quote name='Elflocko' date='05 December 2009 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1260071459' post='837042']
Firefox and Thunderbird are both produced by the Mozilla Foundation.

[/quote]
Oh, I knew that they were produced by the same company, what I meant was that I have been using Firefox for awhile now but I haven't seen anything about Thunderbird. Is it a browser add-on or is it a seperate deal from the browser software (is the question I should have asked)?

[quote name='Bunghole' date='05 December 2009 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1260072349' post='837044']
Oh, I knew that they were produced by the same company, what I meant was that I have been using Firefox for awhile now but I haven't seen anything about Thunderbird. Is it a browser add-on or is it a seperate deal from the browser software (is the question I should have asked)?
[/quote]

Gotcha.

Completely separate application...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='05 December 2009 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1260072937' post='837047']
What makes it such a good email client (it is free, isn't it?)?
[/quote]

Free, small install size, able to handle large mailbox sizes, lots of options, more secure than anything MS has put out, fast, etc...

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Elflocko' date='05 December 2009 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1260027519' post='836864']
Mozilla is an excellent client.

Windows 7 [b]does[/b] have an email client as well as other applications (mail, photo management, etc) but you have to download [url="http://download.live.com/"]Windows Live Essentials[/url] to get them. It's free, but they unbundled a lot of stuff in 7, probably to appease the EU...
[/quote]
Elf ~ thanks for the link. I finally got around to downloading the new MS version this afternoon.

Archived