Need help with external display

So here is the deal....I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with an geForce(?) Nvida 8600m (running Win 7 64). Up until the past week, I've been able to use my notebook with my philips tv as well as a projector with no problems at all.

About 2-3 days ago it stopped working. I'm not sure if there was a driver update (I've rolled my machine back as far as possible, tried reinstalling the latest drivers, and nothing has worked). I have tried the tv & projector and I've also swapped out the s-video cable. Would it be likely that the card went belly but my display was still working?

Any ideas? I'm going to be pissed if the card is shot.

I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' date='27 January 2010 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1264639420' post='860200']
So here is the deal....I have a Dell Inspiron 1520 with an geForce(?) Nvida 8600m (running Win 7 64). Up until the past week, I've been able to use my notebook with my philips tv as well as a projector with no problems at all.

About 2-3 days ago it stopped working. I'm not sure if there was a driver update (I've rolled my machine back as far as possible, tried reinstalling the latest drivers, and nothing has worked). I have tried the tv & projector and I've also swapped out the s-video cable. [b]Would it be likely that the card went belly but my display was still working?
[/b]
Any ideas? I'm going to be pissed if the card is shot.

I'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions.
[/quote]
It's possible. Have you tried using the display with another computer? Or tried the computer with a different display? That would help isolate the problem component.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='28 January 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1264727993' post='860408']
It's possible. Have you tried using the display with another computer? Or tried the computer with a different display? That would help isolate the problem component.
[/quote]

Nope, I don't have another machine that will work with the TV. BUT I did try hooking the VGA up last night to the projector and that did work.

I'm pretty sure it has to be specific to the s-video on my machine...I just don't know if it is a driver issue or hardware one.

[quote name='Elflocko' date='28 January 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1264731850' post='860420']
Does NVIDIA have a specific utility for that card? Perhaps the S-video component was disabled and needs re-enabled, and you may be able to do that via the NVIDIA software.
[/quote]

There is a specific utility, but I don't see anything about enable/disabling S-video.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' date='28 January 2010 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1264732208' post='860421']
There is a specific utility, but I don't see anything about enable/disabling S-video.
[/quote]

Does the S-Video port show up in Device Manager by any chance?

[quote name='Montana Bengal' date='28 January 2010 - 06:44 PM' timestamp='1264733046' post='860427']
I'm not seeing it...but maybe I'm not seeing it.
[/quote]

I'm "guessing" that it might show up under the Video devices (been so long since I've had to troubleshoot a VC with S-Video card, so I'm kind of blundering through this at the moment).

If you go to the CP and have it detect new hardware, does anything show up? Kind of doubtful as 7 is really good at finding shit on its own...

[quote name='Elflocko' date='28 January 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1264733480' post='860431']
I'm "guessing" that it might show up under the Video devices (been so long since I've had to troubleshoot a VC with S-Video card, so I'm kind of blundering through this at the moment).

If you go to the CP and have it detect new hardware, does anything show up? Kind of doubtful as 7 is really good at finding shit on its own...
[/quote]

Nope, don't see it and it didn't detect anything new. This sucks ass.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' date='28 January 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1264735709' post='860440']
Nope, don't see it and it didn't detect anything new. This sucks ass.
[/quote]

Not looking promising, that's for sure.

Only way to know for sure is to find another device with S-Video input and see if that works. If not, you have your answer...

[quote name='Elflocko' date='28 January 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1264735911' post='860442']
Not looking promising, that's for sure.

Only way to know for sure is to find another device with S-Video input and see if that works. If not, you have your answer...
[/quote]

I was thinking about downloading a live disc of Ubuntu. Do you think that might detect the card? At least then I could tell if it was a hardware issue.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' date='28 January 2010 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1264736841' post='860444']
I was thinking about downloading a live disc of Ubuntu. Do you think that might detect the card? At least then I could tell if it was a hardware issue.
[/quote]
After a little digging...it sounds like the latest drivers are causing some issues with some TVs. So I'm going to try to clean everything up drivers-wise and then re-install an earlier driver.

I tried an old dvd player with the TV...it worked.

Ubuntu w/ a live cd doesn't seem to like my video card, so that idea is out and going with an older driver didn't seem to work.

Is the s-video port actually part of the video card or is it on board and just controlled by the card? (I'm wondering if it is specific to the port...damaged, or missing a driver.

The really strange this is that when I 'extend' the monitor. My mouse pointer go off one side of the screen (almost acts like there is another screen there).

I'm not sure what the next step is.

[quote name='Elflocko' date='29 January 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1264826934' post='860756']
Have you posed this question on the nvidia forums? I'm running out of ideas and just don't have any experience with that card....
[/quote]
Yeah, 60+ views and no response. I'm going to post my latest update information tomorrow. Heading to bed now. Thanks for all the advice. I'll keep you posted.

Well, my last attempt is swapping out the HD with an old one (I haven't erased since I upgraded the drive).

I think it is going to turn out to be a bad Nvidia 8600m card....no longer covered by warranty.

Got any Dell/Nvidia parts person connections? I'm not looking forward to dishing out 150-175 to replace it.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='02 February 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1265150789' post='861268']
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m38.l1313&_nkw=nvidia+8600m&_sacat=See-All-Categories

one going for $38 ending tomorrow
[/quote]
http://cgi.ebay.com/256MB-DELL-GEFORCE-8600M-VIDEO-CARD-FOR-VOSTRO-UW390_W0QQitemZ170440778052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item27af0fe144

I think it is one of these kind...and mine is 256.

• 3 months later...

Archived