25 dead in WV

soundstreamer

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/89943497.html

Bit of old news but please keep the 4 remaining miners still not accounted for and all the families of the ones lost in your prayers. I dont know any of them personally but hope is all that is left. If you would leave your light on outside tonight in memory of theose hard working people I would appreciate it.

I dont have any miners in my family but Im from WV and please pray for them!

Looks like that mine has been absolutely slammed with fines and violations.
600 violations and almost a million in fines in less than 18 months. That's over 30 violations a month.
How can a company like this be allowed to continue operations?

Shouldn't there be a cut off of violations at say.... 500?

This shouldn't have happened and hopefully that company gets taken to the woodshed in court.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36202623/ns/us_news-life

"There are mines in this country who have operated safely for 20 years," said J. Davitt McAteer, head of the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration in the Clinton administration. "There are mines who take precautions ahead of time. There are mines who spend the money and manpower to do it."

He added: "Those mines haven't been blown up."

BengalRep you are right this mine has been a disaster waiting to happen for a long time. Massey Energy the managing company and the owner Don Blankenship are so entrenched with WV government up to the WV Supreme Court they have skirted by on fines for many years.

Hopefully something good will come from this and Massey Energy will be taken to the "woodshed". But knowing the "good ole boy" network in WV he will get off free or one of his friends will end up taking over under another name.

No matter what mining is a dangerous job but to ignore multiple violations falls straight on the owners and the people enforcing the laws. Unfortunately money talks and that is what has kept this mine and many others across the US running in unsafe ways.

Keep praying for the 4 still missing!

Archived